Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Books

Millennials and Gen Z tend to be more progressive and less religious overall. Maybe there will be some small dark benefits to a bunch of olds dying.

Sounds awful, but I totally agree. Hopefully it skews towards olds who think germ theory is a 'theory'.

Man, this is making me want to re-read all of his novels. Agree with Rome on Suttree. Child of God is the one I liked the least. That one was just strange.
It was pointless. A character starts out insane and murderous and ends that way and that's the whole story.

Have you read Outer Dark?
So I finally got around to reading Outer Dark. As the name suggests, it was definitely dark. What did you think of the three men following Culla? Do you think they were real?

Considering diving into The Plague again. Loved it the first time I read it, but may be a bit to raw at this point. Or enlightening.

Finished The Power of the Dog last night- wow, what a great book. I ordered the sequel "The Cartel" a couple of days ago so hopefully it gets here soon so I can start.

Man, this is making me want to re-read all of his novels. Agree with Rome on Suttree. Child of God is the one I liked the least. That one was just strange.
It was pointless. A character starts out insane and murderous and ends that way and that's the whole story.

Have you read Outer Dark?
So I finally got around to reading Outer Dark. As the name suggests, it was definitely dark. What did you think of the three men following Culla? Do you think they were real?
My impression was they were imaginary and represented his guilt/sin. But it's been a long time since I read it.

Just finished "The End of Vandalism" by Tom Drury. Very funny, intermittently heartbreaking novel. Pretty quick and painless read, too.

This coronavirus outbreak has actually derailed my reading. I read more than I ever have, but it's all dense medical literature and Washington Post articles. I was doing great on my reading goals, but I didn't come close to completing a book last month. Before I was getting through 4-5 a month.

I'm mostly too drunk outside of work to read. Mostly just listening to Audiobooks when I exercise.

Just finished a book about the East India Company (The Anarchy) and what they did to India. I get why Indians still hate the British.

Started Infinite Powers: How Calculus Reveals the Secrets of the Universe. Really good so far and explains things at a basic level.

Just started The Anarchy. Great feeling when you're 25 pages in and it's already so good you know it's going to be 500 more pages of riveting stuff.

Thanks for the rec.

Reactions: aiw
Finished Infinite Powers about calculus and Joe Posnanski’s book about Houdini over the weekend.

Houdini sure could promote. I also didn’t realize that almost all of his escapes were behind curtains. Posnanski also met a bunch of Houdini maniacs. Interesting people.

Started Midnight in Chernobyl last night. First 60 pages, going back and forth between 1986 and the growth of USSR nuclear capabilities has been quite riveting.

I have a book about some guy chasing down all the players from a 1980s Topps pack after that and then on to the unabridged Gibbon

Reading regularly again has been the only redeeming part of this entire disaster

I started this book last night:

81PSMGyluDL.jpg

I swear to god I must be a slow reader or something. I average anywhere between 1-2 hours a day, seven days a week, and lucky if I get through one averaged size book a week. Are you all putting in more hours or something? I already know i'm slower than most becauese I absolutely cannot read without verbalizing the text in my mind, which I know speedreaders tell you not to do.

As for Infinite Powers, the chapter on CT scans was a fantastic read. I wish there had been more modern applications and less of the book devoted to the run up to calculus, which spanned the majority.

Last edited:
I just finished The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh. Page turner murder/mystery/bad people about the worst murderers in the US who have their memories erased.

As for Infinite Powers, the chapter on CT scans was a fantastic read. I wish there had been more modern applications and less of the book devoted to the run up to calculus, which spanned the majority.
I loved the whole run up. The CT story was great.

It's gotta be really hard to write a book about math.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom