Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Books

Reaganland comes out at midnight. I don't have any expectations that it will be as good as the first three, but getting a Perlstein/Caro book every few years still has to be savored.

Has anyone read Killers of the Flower Moon?

I have not. I was interested in it, but I will probably pass on reading since Martin Scorsese is directing and DiCaprio and DeNiro are starring in an upcoming movie based on the book.

That's pretty much why I was asking... I feel like I should read the book before the movie.

Very much looking forward to the movie though.

So the Dune movie trailer has finally gotten me to start listening to the Dune audiobook that I've had downloaded for a year+. The first 2 hours are basically just gibberish. Reminds me of Lord of the Rings in that way. Hopefully it was start sounding like real words eventually.

Almost finished with 'the color of law'. Absolutely gut-wrenching how badly this country fucked up race relations institutionally. This should be mandatory reading for all high school students.

Oh yeah. Heraclius running amok. Muslims just took their first small town.

Will be reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb next as a palate cleanser before moving to volume 5

Great choice, one of the best books ever. The staggering scope of resources and scientific talent commandeered for the Manhattan Project seems fantastical even today. You'll love it.

Reactions: aiw
So the Dune movie trailer has finally gotten me to start listening to the Dune audiobook that I've had downloaded for a year+. The first 2 hours are basically just gibberish. Reminds me of Lord of the Rings in that way. Hopefully it was start sounding like real words eventually.
Yeah, that's sort of an unfortunate necessity of sci-fi/fantasy. Bad sci-fi would explain all the terms to you. But since the characters live in that world, they're not going to be defining the terms for themselves. So it makes more sense to let you infer the meanings.

I've put down certain sci-fi novels because I'd read 100 pages and felt that all I'd learned was jargon and nothing about the characters and story. Dune and LOTR are better than most at doing both at once.

I have dug into The Souls of Yellow Folk, which is a number of essays by Wesley Yang. What a talented writer.

7 hours into the Dune audiobook they decided to switch the voice actor for the Baron. Why would they do that? I got so confused.

Finished Dune...is it typical to continue reading the series or do most people just read the first one and call it a day?

There's a drop off in quality after the first one. Messiah/Children are basically one novel in two parts, not nearly as good as the original but it at least wraps up the main story. God Emperor and the last two are... different, and almost like a completely separate story. Unless you were super into the parts of the book which consisted of very unsubtle Frank Herbert philosophical exposition, then I wouldn't read anything more than the first three, because GEOD and books 5/6 are those parts times ten.

I really liked the first four. That was as far as I read. I appreciate the huge time jumps and epic scope. It can be a little hard to stay invested in the story when you're reading about the grandchildren of the original characters, however.

Admittedly, I was practically a child when I read them. At that age, I loved almost everything I read. DSon's assessment is probably more reliable.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom