Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

I will say, I am amazed at how many 30 something men I know that have LOVED Barbie unironically.

I will say, I am amazed at how many 30 something men I know that have LOVED Barbie unironically.
they did a good job hiding the second act plot device which is a great male coded gag. there's a couple genuinely awesome musical numbers. it's a fun fever dream of a movie that is sure to inspire at least twenty other assembly line toy movies which will suck.

Considering the people who wrote and directed it, I'm not at all surprised. I knew it would be good from the Baumbach/Gerwig combination and the tone of the first trailer.

As a "Christoper Nolan kind of sucks" truther who also is a longtime Baumbach fanboy (dating back to his 1995 film Kicking and Screaming), I'm pleased to see Barbie has made roughly double of what Oppenheimer has so far.

Granted, Oppenheimer is by far the most interesting Nolan project to me in a while. So I'm not saying I want it to bomb. The fanboy-ism is just annoying. Tenet was everything I dislike about Nolan.

The difference in box office is pretty much what was expected based on an R rating vs. PG-13, though, if both movies are all-time blockbusters. Like if you look at the 10th best grossing opening weekend ever for an R movie (Passion of the Christ), it’s a little less than half the 10th best for a PG-13 (Doctor Strange 2). The difference skews a lot higher if you look at the very top due to Endgame nonsense.

The Nolan fanboys will only be prouder of their man after this performance. @NCCUknow. He took an exceptionally boring concept to the average American and cast a lead actor the average American does not care about, and turned it into one of the highest grossing R-rated movies of all time.

Nolan is hit-or-miss for me. I appreciated the attempts at some relativity in Interstellar. Didn’t really care for Inception. I’ve been looking forward to both Barbie and Oppenheimer, but I’m too lazy and cheap to go to a theater.

I saw Oppenheimer at my local IMAX today. It's pretty incredible, especially (obviously) in all the technical stuff. Great performances all around. I've got it as my #2 of the year now, behind Barbie.

Finally watched Whiplash. Chazelle’s 3-movie run of Whiplash, 10 Cloverfield Land and La La Land is up there. Feels like his loss to Moonlight for Best Picture is going to stain his legacy like if Kawhi didn’t get the one title with Toronto. I don’t think he’ll ever make something as good as La La Land again.

He over indulged with Babylon, needs to come back to Earth and make something a little less masterbatory

I agree with others here who said Across the Spider-Verse is the greatest movie of all time.

Whoever are the key players in making these Spider-Verse movies should continue doing it with other animated stuff. Doesn’t necessarily have to be comic book stories or movies. The writing, pacing, animation and generally everything is so groundbreaking. I’d keep watching these forever, while the non-animated comic book movies have gotten so old.

Past Lives is remarkable. My pick for Best Picture. It makes Oppenheimer feel like a Marvel movie, albeit a good one, in comparison. You know exactly how the story is going to play out, and they set you up to feel that way like a challenge for themselves to try to make you satisfied with all of it anyway.

Past Lives is remarkable. My pick for Best Picture. It makes Oppenheimer feel like a Marvel movie, albeit a good one, in comparison. You know exactly how the story is going to play out, and they set you up to feel that way like a challenge for themselves to try to make you satisfied with all of it anyway.
Now bummed I didn't see it in the theater. I'm obsessed with Korean and Korean-American filmmaking. I like this kind of love story. It's the kind of movie I usually see in the theater, and I had the opportunity. And for some reason, I just didn't.

When it became clear in the opening scene that this was about to be something artistically great, “this is a Rome movie” crossed my mind. Not boring at all, though.

I’ve always thought Lost in Translation was overrated and not enjoyable. Past Lives is not that similar, but it feels like what Lost in Translation was attempting to do.

I believe it would win Best Picture this year if not for Parasite and Everything Everywhere winning in recent years. The new Scorsese/DiCaprio movie is coming out soon and might change things. Oppenheimer is the favorite to oddsmakers, but that’s crazy to me when comparing the movies. And I liked Oppenheimer a lot.

Well, Lost in Translation was a movie I saw five times in the theater. Granted, part of that was I lived in a miserable NY apartment and needed to get out of the house. But I genuinely did love it. It captured something I've experience so many times when traveling.

FUCK!

Oldboy is in theaters for its 20th anniversary. It's being shown in 35mm at the Alamo Drafthouse in Raleigh. Unfortunately, it looks like it's only there until the end of Wednesday. I have zero time to go the next three days. I love that movie so much, and I'm pretty sure seeing it in 35MM in the theaters would be an epiphanic experience.

This is probably the most resentful I've been of my job in the 2+ years I've been working there.

I easily could have gone today or yesterday if I'd been aware of it.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom