Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Bball Alumni

I think Lance's salary is going to be around $900k/yr. So he'll have about $1 million in the bank from these next two years if doesn't turn it all into diamonds.

So happy for Lance. I'm not sure there was a single fan/scout in the country who saw a future pro in him 4 years ago. It's amazing how much he's developed since he escaped Wojo's clutches.

Nolan is clearly a much, much better basketball player than Lance. And Lance is just as much of a "tweener" as Nolan. So I don't buy that explanation of why Nolan didn't catch on.

I really think it was major injuries in the summer league in two consecutive years. But Nolan also struggled with the college transition, so who knows what will happen.

Anyway, I would have picked Lance as the least likely pro from the 2010 starting lineup.

In the NBA, they value someone being great at any one thing rather than someone being good at lots of things. I'm not sure what Lance is great at, but it must be something. Rebound rate?

He was a pretty poor rebounder in college (except for the last five minutes of the Baylor game).

Defense maybe? He is one of those herky-jerky quick-twitch kids, after all.

Lance rebounded a lot of blocked shots in the Baylor game.

But seriously, he was massive that game. The putback dunk (and 1!) as well as the key offensive board and kickout to Nolan for 3.

Congrats to Lance, very happy for him

Versatile, solid defender, good lockerroom guy, mature, no headaches for the front office, probably does good in the community. There are much worse ways to use the veteran's minimum and fill out that last spot on your roster.

Going into his senior season, Coach K touted Lance as a great, versatile defender. K even said Lance would stick in the NBA, and I - among many other TDDers - laughed at that.

In short, this is another blow to the notion that K develops guards. Soon, we will have nothing but bigs.

At age 31, a time when he should be at the tail end of his prime, Duke legend and former projected NBA all-star Jay Williams acknowledges in jest that he is nothing but a homeless man's Russell Westbrook, years after an accident took his career away.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lineage of Duke point guard commitments:

Sean Dockery - Released by the Edmonton Chill of the International Basketball League in 2008.
Shaun Livingston - Never played for Duke, NBA career derailed by gruesome injury.
Greg Paulus - Became Greg Paulus.
Jon Scheyer - Potential NBA career derailed by eye injury, now a coach.
Nolan Smith - NBA career lasted two seasons and is now over in all likelihood.
Kyrie Irving - Duke career was 11 games due to toe injury, now an NBA star.
Tyler Thornton - TBD

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

Sean Dockery - Released by the Edmonton Chill of the International Basketball League in 2008.
Shaun Livingston - Never played for Duke, NBA career derailed by gruesome injury.
Tyler Thornton - TBD

You forgot Gbinije.

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

Tyler Thornton - TBD

You forgot Gbinije.

Bobby Hurley - almost died
Jay Williams - almost died

Things are looking up, really

Paulus and Smith suffered injuries too. So really the only guys who haven't are the great scoring threats, Sean Dockery and Tyler Thornton.

rome8180 said:
Paulus and Smith suffered injuries too. So really the only guys who haven't are the great scoring threats, Sean Dockery and Tyler Thornton.

And Duhon

I never know where to put discussions of old Duke teams.

Today I've watched the 2001 game versus WFU (Duhon buzzer beater) and am now watching the Maryland ACC tournament game from the same year. Man, that team with Boozer in the starting lineup was just perfectly built. So fun to watch too. As of the Wake game, they were averaging 93 ppg. 93. WTF.

Thinking about 2001, no wonder Maryland hates us. The Miracle Minute, a two point win in the ACC tournament, and a the biggest comeback in Final Four history.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom