Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

I'd rather have Trae Young to be honest
Me too. I don't think he quite has the court vision of either Duval or Green, but his shooting would be so great for this team.

Saw Green live three times. Plays for a powerhouse program in Philly and just hogged the ball all game long. Only had 2 points in the second half of PCL championship game and that's with him taking double digit shots. Really nice midrange pull-up and floater game, but an average three point shooter and not a good finisher. Not very big and definitely not very athletic. My biggest two takeaways with him were first, he's an awful defender. Went up against a three star PG going to Nova and the kid destroyed his team both games and Quade never once tried to guard him while it was going on. Got badly outplayed by this kid going to Nova both games and Quade's team lost both. Secondly, he's a big baby, cried to the refs constantly, terrible interactions and body language with his teammates. I think he looked better than he actually is on the EYBL circuit, especially statistically, because of how talented his team was.

I watched at least half a dozen of his AAU games. None live though. But I had a completely different impression. Granted, that was all EYBL, so your points may stand.

I guess we'll see this season. All in all, I expect him to be like Quinn Cook -- flawed at first but developing into an amazing player over multiple years. That said, he's at UK, where even Ulis left after two seasons.

I watched at least half a dozen of his AAU games. None live though. But I had a completely different impression. Granted, that was all EYBL, so your points may stand.

I guess we'll see this season. All in all, I expect him to be like Quinn Cook -- flawed at first but developing into an amazing player over multiple years. That said, he's at UK, where even Ulis left after two seasons.

Rome, I agree with the Cook comp. It took Cook some time though to be the player he turned out to be as a Senior. I guess it's worth it to have Green for his Junior and Senior season, but they are going to be counting on him from day one as a freshmen. Also, does Green see himself as a four year guy? The big thing is, will Kentucky really note recruit over him? I guess it's all relative, 99.9% of programs would be estatic with having him.

Topher and others should probably check to see what Slater said about Barrett today.

Lol.

Jones-Garland-Barrett-Reddish-big man.

Let's ride.

Topher and others should probably check to see what Slater said about Barrett today.

Lol.

Jones-Garland-Barrett-Reddish-big man.

Let's ride.

I actually just came here to see if anyone had mentioned anything. I'm not sure if there is miscommunication between Topher and the TDD insiders (Andrew included) or one of the parties has wrong info, but the general consensus is that Duke is in a good place with Barrett.

I will always defer to my boy AC. It's kind of a weird scenario. Duke wants both, both really like Duke, but we have to convince them they can play together.

Barrett would instantly make us the title favorite on his own and allow Reddish to be the sidekick and coast. Barrett is the Kobe/Lebron talent while Cam is the Melo foil.

John TDD just put in a CB pick for Zion to Duke. He has Barrett, Reddish, and Zion all CB'd to Duke.

This makes absolutely 0 sense.

John TDD just put in a CB pick for Zion to Duke. He has Barrett, Reddish, and Zion all CB'd to Duke.

2-3-4.

It was implied to me this was the "dream scenario" or "plan" a while back, but I didn't believe it, and Slater has said it's more realistic to get 2.

BUT. I would gladly take all 3. And all 3 like Duke. Would be an absolutely insane haul.

When you think about it, it makes sense. We are losing our starting 5 and Bolden (he'll most likely transfer or go overseas IMO), and I don't expect any significant contributions from Alex O'Connell, Javin DeLaurier, or Jordan Tucker this year or next. I don't think K is going to count on them, either. He wants the elite of the elite.

So we have Tre Jones. Huge amount of minutes to be had at the 2, 3, 4, and 5.

If we get the trio of RJ, Zion, and Cam, like Watson just suggested with a CB and a post on 247, we could have a lineup that looks like this:

Tre
RJ
Cam
Zion
Vrank

Garland as the 6th man with Javin, Tucker, and Alex O'Connell in mop up.

I'd sign up for that right now, even if the 5 is a weakness. Maybe we get Bacot to move up a year.

Any way you slice it, this is the Golden Age of Duke basketball recruiting.

When you think about it, it makes sense. We are losing our starting 5 and Bolden (he'll most likely transfer or go overseas IMO), and I don't expect any significant contributions from Alex O'Connell, Javin DeLaurier, or Jordan Tucker this year or next. I don't think K is going to count on them, either. He wants the elite of the elite.

So we have Tre Jones. Huge amount of minutes to be had at the 2, 3, 4, and 5.

If we get the trio of RJ, Zion, and Cam, like Watson just suggested with a CB and a post on 247, we could have a lineup that looks like this:

Tre
RJ
Cam
Zion
Vrank

Garland as the 6th man with Javin, Tucker, and Alex O'Connell in mop up.

I'd sign up for that right now, even if the 5 is a weakness. Maybe we get Bacot to move up a year.

Any way you slice it, this is the Golden Age of Duke basketball recruiting.

No disrespect but Watson doesn't know his ass from his face. I would put my money on Zion to Kentucky. Isn't Garland basically a for sure thing to Vandy at this point? Vrank at the 5 as a Junior would hardly be a weakness. I would play him above Bolden right freaking now. If we can pull RJ and Reddish I am all over that but that might be hard to do.

Isn't Garland basically a for sure thing to Vandy at this point?

No. The 247 guys sound pretty confident he'll be at Duke.

If we can pull RJ and Reddish I am all over that but that might be hard to do.

I don't think so. Consider the minutes we'll have available. The exposure. The basketball brand and the university and coach K and coach Capel.

Give me a class of Tre, Darius, RJ, Zion, Cam, and a big like Bacot. That's good enough to win a title.

2 of the 3 is the most likely scenario so I think John is putting in his CB because we're not totally sure which 2 yet. Might as well bank some points early.

I would be okay with Williamson at Duke if he chooses to use his ridiculous physical abilities on the defensive end.
But Duke freshman OADs who are dedicated defenders are only slightly more common than unicorns, so we should probably pass.

I think Bolden will actually be good as a junior. Up to him to decide whether to play in China or at Duke that season. Nonetheless, I would engrave into a granite countertop the following roster for Duke 2018-19:

PG Tre Jones (fr) / Darius Garland (fr) / Jordan Goldwire (so)
SG Rowan "R.J." Barrett, Jr. (fr) / Alex O'Connell (so)
SF Cameron Reddish (fr) / Jordan Tucker (so)
PF Zion Williamson (ft) / Javin DeLaurier (jr) / Jack White (jr)
C Marques Bolden (jr) / Emmitt Williams (fr) / Antonio Vrankovic (sr)

Although I would have liked to see higher ranked recruits in those 10-13 scholarship spots, instead of Goldwire, White, Vrankovic and O'Connell, this is still is a near lock (~85% chance) to win the national title.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom