Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Derryck Thornton

Someone on the free board is saying this Edwards asshole was also "handling" Ryan Harrow? Can't believe we even got involved with this dude.

Same thing is being said on Pack Pride. This dude is a head case.

Feel for DT. I can imagine that if you come from a background where someone is filling you with ideas about "what you are" (a p'n'r PG), K would be a brutal reality check.

I wonder how much of Tank's money this "trainer" has pocketed. I assume it's in his (financial) best interest to direct all the blame in this at Duke and away from himself.

Remember early on before Thornton even committed, we were hearing that he'd suffered from poor coaching? I think I know who that coach was...

rome8180 said:
I'm sure everyone's already read it, but here's a free TDD interview of Thornton. Initial thoughts:

1) Tank Thornton is the man. He seems super-level-headed. I don't get the feeling I get from reading interviews with the parents of an unnamed big man in the class of 2017. It also sounds like he's not going to be pushing Thornton to the pros until he's ready.

2) The video is really interesting. Show exactly the good and bad elements of Thornton's game. Great speed, excellent vision, a little recklessness and questionable shot selection. Of course, I remember watching Quinn chuck shots in high school. So maybe a lot of that can be reigned in.

3) All typos aside, Steve Clark is the king of the recruiting interview. Slater is the king of recruiting info, but no one holds a candle to Steve in terms of getting people to open up on the record.

http://www.scout.com/college/duke/story ... k-thornton
Oof.

Yeah, I've never been more wrong about a parent's influence and desires than this one's.

To be fair, I read the interview the same exact way I did way back then.

Yeah, don't think your read of that interview was wrong. And I don't think Tank was necessarily misrepresenting himself in that interview. I think Tank just puts DT's interests above the team's. Doesn't matter if running PnR offense through Derryck is a worse option than iso'ing Ingram and Grayson with DT playing catch and shoot, he still wanted it to be run because it would showcase DT's skills better (in his mind not reality). And I would be willing to bet a large amount that K practiced plenty of PnR with DT and knew how well it would go, especially considering the roll man for most of the season was MP3 and not Amile. He opted to run what would benefit the team the most, and Tank and "uncle" weren't happy about it.

Wonder how DT will feel about his decision when he's sitting out next year while Duke is in the Final Four? Paging Semi....

I saw on teh twitters where Kansas is expressing an interest in Thornton. KU staff should tell them they'll only talk to them if they ditch "Uncle" Mark.

Everyone knew since January - or earlier - he was leaving, that's why they went ahead and brought in Jack White, they knew they had room on the roster.
This is all about Thornton's "trainer" wanting his boy to be showcased at a high major university, and him talking DT's dad into buying into his bs. It really sucks for the kid, getting batted around like a ping pong ball to make somebody else look good.

Down to Kansas, USC, Miami and Washington.

If he goes to Miami, we are legitimately fucked in 3 years, but who cares, since we would've been fucked by Miami's guards anyway.

Derryck is a good dude. No non-Duke fan will care but it really enforces the fact that this was a 100% Tank vs K/Duke, not a K/Duke vs Derryck issue.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back