Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

It'll take someone putting up 70 on us in a half before… who am I kidding? That won't change anything.

Given that any postseason success is off the table, I’m okay with rooting for Duke to obtain its most efficient offense in team history while also registering the worst possible defense in the kenpom era. That should maximize our ability to see cool Bagley things while also bringing the most shame to K.

The more I watch Duke, the more I think of K as a drug addict. Overplay defense and five-man rotations are his drugs of choice. He'll clean up occasionally, get a good job. Then as soon as he sees positive results, he's like, "since things are going so well, one hit won't hurt." Two days later he wakes up covered in his own vomit in a gutter.

And like the enabler I am, I keep letting him back into my house.

Two of the last 3 games have had below 50% team FT shooting

Team was steady above 70% for a good stretch.

Have to get the ball to Allen & Trent when teams are scrambling to foul.

I was trying to work while watching the game, but I'm not crazy to think that we were doing some zone that wasn't quite 2-3, right? More like a 3-2 or 1-2-2? I thought i saw it for a possession against Wake, but tonight I thought we did it a couple of times.

Rewatching some of the last 10 minutes. It also looks like for a number of possessions in the last 10 minutes, we faked going into m2m for about Miami's first 5 seconds across half court, then switched to one of the zone looks. It looks cool. Probably helps mess up their offensive set, too.

Rewatching some of the last 10 minutes. It also looks like for a number of possessions in the last 10 minutes, we faked going into m2m for about Miami's first 5 seconds across half court, then switched to one of the zone looks. It looks cool. Probably helps mess up their offensive set, too.
I've felt for a time that Duke should play a true match up zone. It's similar to a switching M2M, but one of the hall marks of a match up zone is "disguising" the initial look of the defense to cause confusion. An easy way to accomplish this is to initiate M2M and even have your team call out defensive assignments but slip into a zone once they start their offense.

I don't believe K is playing a matchup, but it would be a brilliant defense for this era of basketball.

I don't know what all that was, but for a Duke team, switching defenses mid-possession is some serious next-level shit.

Remember that crazy-ass matchup zone Duke threw at NC St in the 2015 ACCT, and Duke won by like 30 or something? When that NC St guard asked Justise “What defense is this?” And Justise laughed in his face. That’s the only time I ever remember Duke playing that defense - in any season. I’ve wondered ever since why we don’t try it again. We’ve seen lots of 2-3, 3-2, and even halfcourt 1-3-1 the last few seasons but no more of that matchup.

If we don't beat Pitt at home by 30, with the bench playing most of the second half, I'm going to consider it a loss.

This team can win it all if they stay locked in and keep their retard tendencies in check, and last night they proved they can do it even when they spot a team 18 extra possessions while playing a cardboard cutout of Grayson Allen.

This is one of the possessions I was talking about. Duke seems to clearly start out in m2m guarding the horns set, but watching Carter and AOC later it looks like they switched to playing 2-3.

Maybe it's just defensive confusion, but it worked and looked cool.

Whatever they were doing, among the key end results was that our best post defender was actually in the post on defense.

And we still get to work Bolden's and Javin's defense back into this, assuming they are ambulatory sometime soon.

If we don't beat Pitt at home by 30, with the bench playing most of the second half, I'm going to consider it a loss.

This team can win it all if they stay locked in and keep their retard tendencies in check, and last night they proved they can do it even when they spot a team 18 extra possessions while playing a cardboard cutout of Grayson Allen.

There definitely needs to be an quantifiable advanced stat of 'retard tendencies'. Maybe a little difficult to capture, but figuring in a +/- every time some player does something he clearly sucks at and gives up points/possessions would be awesome. Javin doing anything but passing it quickly back to an open guard on offense, Carter guarding more than 25 ft out, any three by Duval, Grayson getting overactive with his legs. Put it next to 'luck' and 'SOS' on Pomeroy.

It would be a great measure of potential greatness and coaching effectiveness. And of course, after the State game, you could accurately say 'we had a RT rating of -28 for the game, we went full retard'.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back