Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

I would do the opposite. Accept the fact that the only way we're going to win is by putting up triple digits each game. Allocate 30 secs of practice time for showing each player where they will stand in a 2-3 or 1-3-1 zone.

The rest will be spent demonstrating to Tre how to play under control and the fact that this team doesn't always need spectacular passes. "Safe" passes to the post will suffice.

Remedial shot-selection training will be required for Grayson.

The rest of the guys can play dodge ball and work on synchronizing their strong face.

I'm no expert but I'd rather go the opposite direction and try slowing things down and using most of the shotclock and dumping it into the post to Bagley or Carter while minimizing the other team's opportunities to score. I know we make fun of Virginia's style of play but I'd rather see that than the shitshow they are calling defense that we are "playing" now but we'd probably find a way to screw that up also if K would ever go that route (which he won't).

There's no excuse to have a team this talented, quick, long and athletic and have this atrocious of a defense. I was truly expecting a top 20 defense when I looked at the roster. It's not the players fault, it's on K and the staff. Never thought I'd say this but I may be ready for K to call it quits. Or at least bring in someone who knows something about defense.

Duke used to be known to have a top 10-15 defense every year. But that was during the Collins/Wojo days so I wonder if they were responsible for our solid defenses.

Duke used to be known to have a top 10-15 defense every year. But that was during the Collins/Wojo days so I wonder if they were responsible for our solid defenses.

Did we only have two assistants in those years?

Collins with back to back losses to Nebraska and Penn State. Now 10-7 and 1-3 in the B1G.

Wojo 3-2 in the Big East with wins over Seton Hall and Georgetown and a road overtime win against Providence. They played fairly well on the road against Villanova, too.

Collins with back to back losses to Nebraska and Penn State. Now 10-7 and 1-3 in the B1G.

Wojo 3-2 in the Big East with wins over Seton Hall and Georgetown and a road overtime win against Providence. They played fairly well on the road against Villanova, too.

That Nebraska loss was awful. I guess I'll have to eat my words about the Cats turning it around this year.

There's no excuse to have a team this talented, quick, long and athletic and have this atrocious of a defense. I was truly expecting a top 20 defense when I looked at the roster. It's not the players fault, it's on K and the staff. Never thought I'd say this but I may be ready for K to call it quits. Or at least bring in someone who knows something about defense.

That was during the Johnny Dawkins days really. There were terrible defensive teams here with Collins and Wojo on staff post Dawkins. 2012 and 2014 were atrocious.

I'm not trying to make the case that the loss of any particular staffer made the whole difference in our defense quality, but it seems ludicrous to mention Collins and Wojo and not mention Dawkins, who was the associate head coach from '99-'08. Of the three, he's proven the most adept head coach at yielding squads that play good defense.

Holy fuck, they actually did it. They changed their ballscreen defense to what we've been begging for - dropping/sinking the big. Praying this is a permanent thing and not a Wake-specific strategy.

I know zone won the game, but I care less about that, given that 1) we're still kind of awful at defending the three in zone, 2) K will never rely on zone when it matters, and 3) Wake just seems like they're kind of garbage from a talent perspective, despite having solid offensive stats so far.

Anyway, our guards are still garbage at getting over screens, inexplicably and consistently go OVER screens 30 feet from the basket, and lack awareness as weakside defenders. But maybe there's hope?

It seems annoying as fuck to post your own tweets, but here's my breakdown of what we were doing against ballscreens today:

Also kind of wondering if they were trying to ice wing screens and our guards are just too dumb to handle that. Otherwise, no idea what the hell Carter was doing all the way over here on the first play of the game:

We’ll never know, but i’m really curious if all the zone today was game-planned by K or if Capel did it on his on.
Answer might have huge impications for this team’s future.

You guys are, like, seriously not as excited as you should be about the change in ballscreen defense we saw today. We finally got what we've been crying for for years and there's not even a peep about it here.

I guess it's possible it was a Capel-induced aberration, but I don't know how he'd Yolo that into the game plan without practicing it or anything.

I'll be excited if it sticks. I guess I just always believe we'll fall back into our atrocious habits.

K coached Semi to focus on shooting 3s. It went poorly and he transfered. The he blew up and is now with the Celtics. Coach K decided not to make the same mistake with Tatum. Shows he is still growing as a coach.

Tatum still attempted four 3s a game while shooting the same percentage as Matt Jones (.342), on a team with Allen shooting 37%, Jackson shooting 40%, and Kennard shooting 44%.

He's only attempting three a game in the NBA.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back