Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

K coached Semi to focus on shooting 3s. It went poorly and he transfered. The he blew up and is now with the Celtics. Coach K decided not to make the same mistake with Tatum. Shows he is still growing as a coach.
I can't tell if this is ironic or just dumb.

Tatum’s 3pt attempt rate was roughly the same at Duke as it is in Boston. The somewhat meaningful difference in shot selection is that he’s taking 32% of shots from outside 3 feet and inside the arc this season, compared with 35% of shots classified as “2pt jumpers” by hoop-math at Duke. Whether outside 3 feet on basketball-reference translates to 2pt jumpers on hoop-math exactly, I don’t know. I think it’s safe to say he has cut down on midrange a bit while keeping 3pt attempt rate the same, meaning when he finds himself in midrange situations, he’s passing more or getting to the rim more. K has always been at the forefront of eliminating midrange but he can still go further.

Tatum’s 3pt attempt rate was roughly the same at Duke as it is in Boston. The somewhat meaningful difference in shot selection is that he’s taking 32% of shots from outside 3 feet and inside the arc this season, compared with 35% of shots classified as “2pt jumpers” by hoop-math at Duke. Whether outside 3 feet on basketball-reference translates to 2pt jumpers on hoop-math exactly, I don’t know. I think it’s safe to say he has cut down on midrange a bit while keeping 3pt attempt rate the same, meaning when he finds himself in midrange situations, he’s passing more or getting to the rim more. K has always been at the forefront of eliminating midrange but he can still go further.

Wow - people have been running around suggesting that Stevens has completely shut down Tatum's high volume midrange game (the dumbest shot in basketball - so of course Kobe specialized in it...) and that K had let him take those shots unchecked. Thank you SMTTEM for pulling the actual numbers showing that there has been very little actual difference in his shot selection. I had been falling for the false narrative. Its nice to have numbers to bring me back to reality.

To be fair to K haters, Tatum’s midrange rate would likely be below 20% in Houston, which I believe would be closer to ideal for winning basketball games. Stevens isn’t at that point in his philosophy yet.

It's still a valid point. The NBA 3pt line is further out and NBA defenses basically concede open midrange jumpers whenever an offense wants to take them. Tatum's 3pt attempt rate should be expected to be significantly lower in the NBA, but it's not.

I’m watching the last few minutes again. Whatever the zone was on any given possession, Carter was always under the basket, organizing everyone else. This is a major change from earlier in the season when Bagley was supposed to be the rim protector and anchor.

I think it was always 2-3, and Miami having a shooter at the wing forced the zone to look more like a 3-2 on certain possessions. Carter wouldn’t be stationary under the basket in a 3-2. It’s a good sign that the 2-3 doesn’t always look like a 2-3; the players are actually reacting to an offense rather than standing in place, thinking that’s good enough.

A lot of dumb defense has been used this season. It appears to be over now.

More Twitter threading bc this is is just too exciting to not nerd out over.

Ballscreen defense was not only not awful today, it was actually really good. With the caveat that I might have missed something at the beginning, I only saw four plays where ballscreens produced points for Miami:

- The late PNR dunk - avoidable if Trent hadn't gone over a 28-foot screen
- A pick and pop three when we were trying to ice. A risk of that strategy, but we rotated and prevented it when they tried it again.
- 2 putbacks by rollers that were solely due to our guards being lazy and not trying to recover after being screened.

It looked like we were trying to be super aggressive about forcing the ballhandler away from the screener, and having the big sink to that side, rather than the hedging side. Usually when teams "ice" ballhandler like that (like UVA generally has), it's only on the wings, but we were pretty much doing it everywhere. Will be interesting to watch if that becomes a thing, and what the pros/cons are.

Transition defense was still a disaster, but man, sky's the limit if ballscreens are just not really a thing that hurts us anymore.

There was one late play where the ballhandler turned the corner and made a brilliant pass between two defenders. Carter was a little too far out and couldn't get back in time, but it was honestly just brilliant offense. Without that pass, he's back to protect the rim.

Not sure if that's one of the ones you mentioned. It was fairly late in the second half.

Reading this discussion has made me cautiously optimistic about our defense for the first time since 2015. Great stuff, everybody (that also includes K).

There was one late play where the ballhandler turned the corner and made a brilliant pass between two defenders. Carter was a little too far out and couldn't get back in time, but it was honestly just brilliant offense. Without that pass, he's back to protect the rim.

Not sure if that's one of the ones you mentioned. It was fairly late in the second half.

Yeah, that was the late PNR I was talking about. Agreed that it was great offense, but there was also no need to go over that screen and give them so much space to work with.

Cincinnati has the number 46 offense, and UCF held them to 15 points on 6-25 shooting in the first half. Is that good?

Remember that game in '09 where we were ahead 19-14 at the half and Henderson had 14 of our points?

Reactions: aiw

#27 composite overall. 6-8 PF/SF. Caught up in FBI probe at USC, forced to go elsewhere. Family denies. Hurley now has two very high level prospects coming in next season, who both may realistically stay more than one year, OAD rule in place or not.

Hurley's recruiting methods seem just a little too sketchy. He doesn't have Duke's insulation either. Worried this will come crashing down.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom