Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Pretty damn impressive haul once again. See if they can make 3 alphas happy sharing the ball in 2019.

Someone smarter than I, explain the end of the first half? I hate to be too bitchy about a fairly comfortable win, but what in the fucking fuck was this:

Subs in a cold Jack White with a minute to go. Wake Bucket. Calls a TO with about 47 seconds on the game clock, subs in 4 guards and stall balls, instead of going for a 2 for 1. Duke fails to score, then gives up an easy dunk trying to defend Wake with AOC, Allen, Duval and Trent on the floor.

What is the logic in this? The strategy?

It's baffling to just give away two baskets and give up an extra offensive possession to end the half.

It's one thing to be stubborn about your defensive system, it's another to concoct an end of half strategy that is a gift to your opponent. It's worrisome.

I only classify things as worrisome if they happen a lot. Duke has been pretty good about closing out halves and in general about going two-for-one in situations like that.

K stall balled to make sure Wake had 17 seconds of shot clock to set up a comfortable dunk without having to hurry. So nice of him. It makes zero fucking sense.

The ENTIRE rest of the half, we were shooting with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Wake was just letting Duke walk into the paint.

Someone smarter than I, explain the end of the first half? I hate to be too bitchy about a fairly comfortable win, but what in the fucking fuck was this:

Subs in a cold Jack White with a minute to go. Wake Bucket. Calls a TO with about 47 seconds on the game clock, subs in 4 guards and stall balls, instead of going for a 2 for 1. Duke fails to score, then gives up an easy dunk trying to defend Wake with AOC, Allen, Duval and Trent on the floor.

What is the logic in this? The strategy?

It's baffling to just give away two baskets and give up an extra offensive possession to end the half.

It's one thing to be stubborn about your defensive system, it's another to concoct an end of half strategy that is a gift to your opponent. It's worrisome.

Now that we're run-run-running, gotta go 10 deep as well, ya know?

Feels like we probably would have won if we'd just 1) recognized that press + zone was the way to go and switched earlier in the first half and 2) used the bench more effectively throughout.

Capel did both of those things in our K-less game... juuuuust saying. Doesn't take a genius with this roster.

Caveats:

This is unadjusted for opponents, but we don’t know which way any SOS adjustment would swing these numbers.

Synergy often uses a different measure of efficiency that doesn’t account for rebounding (e.g., if the offense grabs the rebound and makes a layup, it counts as 2 points over 2 possessions), which would presumably make m2m look worse relative to zone, since poorer rebounding out of a zone is not penalized. It’s not clear if Synergy is even doing this with these particular numbers.

The key question is how much zone Duke played against Pitt. Pitt is a huge outlier in strength of offense relative to all other ACC teams that Duke has played so far, and Duke has played Pitt twice already.

In a vacuum, it seems like Duke’s zone would be elite and good enough to win a title, whereas the m2m is not good enough yet to do anything meaningful this season.

Last edited:
From memory, it seems like we just careened around in extended man for 80 minutes against Pitt, and have generally played zone when we're struggling about better teams.

I do wonder how much of our zone success has been luck, though. I get that zone is more reliant on luck by nature, but it feels like teams have missed a lot of open shots against it.

Like, isn't there some expensive tech that gives some NBA teams expected PPP based on who's taking a shot, where it's from, and how close the nearest defender is? I feel like those numbers for our zone would probably lower than 12th-best in the country.

Edit: but given that it seems like its adjusted rating would be even better than 12th, maybe not.

The players seem more confident in zone. Everyone knows what they’re supposed to be doing with more limited decision making involved. Carter in particular looks like a monster when he’s back there, like he believes no one is getting through him. In m2m, they get burned a lot and just look kind of sad about the whole thing.

Looking at the starting 5's minutes, no wonder they looked like shit in the second half. Especially when you take into account the way UVA grabs and shoves all game. I really don't know why DeLaurier, AOC, and even Goldwire couldn't have snuck in for a couple of minutes at a time.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom