Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke-Georgia Tech prediction thread

K's last stand? The return of Grayson "Sweep the Leg" Allen?

• Duke by > 30

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Duke by 21-30

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Duke by 11-20

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Duke by 1-10

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • GT by 1-10

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • GT by 11-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GT by > 20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who knows how impressive TS9 would have looked if you'd given him the chance. Should have included a 50+ option.

I really did put the board on my back tonight.

Is Josh Pastner the new Paul Hewitt? Terrible coach who has Roy's number? That would be nice. We know he can recruit like Hewitt if given enough time to make inroads (i.e. - find a reliable bag man).

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: How did Jay Bilas react to the ridiculous offensive foul call on Tatum? My guess is that he said nothing.

You would be correct. He was probably discussing a movie or something.

He's as bad as Dickie V at discussing everything but the game but for some reason gets a pass.

He said something like "well, when you are up by 40 you are less likely to get that call. But if Tatum had pulled up and kissed it off the glass he would have been better off."

So basically no direct acknowledgement that it was a block and not a charge.

Oh shit, I forgot to vote. I would not have chosen >30, so I would have thrown my vote away, just like I did for POTUS.

In the past, stadiums used to never show replays of controversial ref calls even if it was a call that went against your team. Now, happens all the time. A lot of outrage at TV Teddy from the hometown crowd tonight.

Just how he likes it. I think nothing thrills Teddy more than a demonstrative call against the home team. Although, he did almost single-handedly keep hometown Butler in the 2010 NC.

You may have to sign up, so here it is

DURHAM — Grayson Allen returned after one whole game, apparently having learned some sort of lesson, and Mike Krzyzewski coached one more game, apparently having learned he’s not immortal.

Allen came back from a one-game suspension that most people expected to be a lot longer and brought Duke together, warts and all. Now comes Krzyzewski’s surgery. We’ll see if Duke recovers.

On a strange Wednesday night in the ACC, the Blue Devils destroyed Georgia Tech 110-57 in one of the most lopsided wins in conference history. It was, in fact, the fifth-largest margin of victory in an ACC game. Ever.

“No one would’ve beaten them tonight,” Tech coach Josh Pastner said.

That’s debatable, but for the first time all season, Duke looked like Duke. Or at least what we thought Duke would look like before the season started and all the freshmen started going down and Allen tripped somebody else and Krzyzewski’s medication wore off and the Blue Devils started to come apart.

Wednesday was a bit of a shock in that sense. Coming home after a loss to Virginia Tech, it wasn’t clear that Duke was even capable of a game like this. And considering all that was swirling around, it seemed as if the Blue Devils were headed into another tailspin in January.

Krzyzewski decided Wednesday wouldn’t just be the end of his misery before back surgery. He decided it would be a new start for his team with all the parts in place for a run to April.

Harry Giles, the top recruit in the country, started for the first time as a collegian. Players played the positions they were supposed to play for the first time since October. And at some point not made exactly clear by the coach or the player, the shamed and well-rested Allen was reinstated.

“We felt like it was appropriate,” Krzyzewski said.

Allen tripped Elon’s Steven Santa Ana two weeks ago in Greensboro, the third time in two seasons the petulant point guard had lost his mind and tripped an opponent. He then threw a little fit on the bench that night, revealing an immaturity that shocked most anyone who saw it. Krzyzewski stripped Allen of his role as a team captain and said the junior would be out indefinitely.

One game.

Krzyzewski said there were decisions made “behind the scenes” that led he and Duke athletics director Kevin White to come to the decision that Allen had indeed learned his lesson.

“I accept all the discipline,” Allen said.

So it was over. Allen had returned, Duke was once again the best team in the nation and there was great rejoicing.

A little too much rejoicing.

The truth is, he’s still the guy who tripped three players in two years to ruin his reputation and set up his team for what Pastner thought his own team had to go through Wednesday, a daunting road game in front of crazed fans.

That wasn’t the case at all Wednesday.

Allen returned after one measly game and played in front of a replacement crowd, with a few empty seats scattered about — the students not back from the holidays, the band not back, the cheerleaders and the mascot not back.

This wasn’t a wild night in Cameron. This was a practice game against Georgia Tech, the first game back for a player who probably should be sitting for a whole lot longer and the last game for a while for a coach who had no business being at work.

Krzyzewski was in pain all night, his herniated disc rendering him an invalid in a chair. He winced when he stood and when he sat down again. He stumbled on the sidelines and almost fell walking off the court at halftime.

This was no joyous occasion in Duke history.

This was a business trip, a home game in front of new fans, an October practice in January less than 48 hours before Krzyzewski undergoes a scapel yet again, a man who will turn 70 next month trying to pull together a basketball team while putting off surgery.

There was a sadness to Wednesday night. It seemed like a beginning but it felt like an end.

And there was no indication that anyone learned anything.

His phone number is at the bottom of the article if anyone wants to call him and tell him to cut off his own balls and choke on them.

I think he watched the wrong game. Unless the sadness he mentions was coming from Josh Pastner and the GaTech bench.

I came to this thread to post that article.

The hottest of the hot takes re: Allen and K.

-------
Regarding the actual game, it was really nice to see the team moving the ball around instead of having Jayson and Luke play hero ball. Allen being in the game, and committing to passing, certainly helped the flow of the offense. I hope Chase can get healthy so he can play alongside Vrank at the end of blowout games, because otherwise I think he's done. Don't see him playing much real minutes going forward unless Giles or Bolden have another set-back.

All in all, a boring game after the first 10 or so minutes, but I'm all about these types of boring games vs. the boring game against VaTech.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom