Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Travels To Kansas

Inveigle

All American
The Jayhawks open as 8.5-point favorites against Duke.

Kickoff: 11 a.m. Saturday

Where: Booth Memorial Stadium, Lawrence

TV: FS1

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1. Duke was picked to finish last of seven teams in the ACC’s Coastal Division in the league’s preseason media poll. Miami placed first with 1,036 points in the followed by Pitt (911), North Carolina (823), Virginia (667), Virginia Tech (592), Georgia Tech (343) and Duke (220). The Blue Devils, who have defeated North Carolina A&T (49-20) and Temple (30-0) at home and Northwestern (31-23) on the road, have certainly played better than the 164 media voters would have predicted.

2. Mike Elko is in his first year as Duke’s head coach. Elko, 45, is tackling his first head coaching assignment. He comes to the ACC school from Texas A&M, where he was defensive coordinator/safeties coach from 2018-21. He’s also been defensive coordinator at Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Bowling Green and Hofstra. He’s a former Penn safety who helped the school to an Ivy League title in 1998. Elko is the first Duke football coach since Fred Goldsmith in 1994 to win his opening three games.

3. Duke has had five starting quarterbacks in the last five seasons. Sophomore Riley Leonard, who rushed for two TDs and threw for two TDs Saturday against NC A&T, has completed 48 of 66 passes for 723 yards and five touchdowns. He has rushed for 147 yards on 22 carries with two scores. Leonard is 6-4, 212 from Fairhope, Alabama.

4. Kansas players may have revenge on their minds. The Jayhawks return several players who participated in last seasons’s 52-33 loss to Duke before 19,128 fans at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham. KU, which entered that game with a 1-2 record to Duke’s 2-1 mark, actually led 24-21 at halftime. Duke rolled 21-3 in the third quarter and outscored the Jayhawks 10-6 in the fourth.

5. The Jayhawks’ running game continues to produce big-time. The Jayhawks rushed for 280 yards and three touchdowns against Houston, marking the third-straight game with 200+ rushing yards. The three-game streak of 200+ rushing yards is the first by a Jayhawks team since 2012. Kansas now has 13 rushing touchdowns through three games. The offensive line, which has opened big holes for the backs, still has not allowed a sack.

i
i

Season Leaders
Passing Yards
DUKE
R. Leonard48-66, 723 YDS, 5 TD, 2 INT
KU
J. Daniels47-70, 566 YDS, 7 TD, 1 INT
Rushing Yards
DUKE
J. Coleman29 CAR, 177 YDS, 3 TD
KU
J. Daniels27 CAR, 237 YDS, 3 TD
Receiving Yards
DUKE
J. Calhoun12 REC, 198 YDS
KU
L. Arnold10 REC, 110 YDS

This game probably comes down to Special Teams and turnovers.

Prediction: I hope I'm wrong...

Duke 31
Kansas 33

LET'S GO DUKE!

Duke 42
Kansas 38

I will continue to ride with our team and our coach until they inevitably let me down.

Lost my bet, 1st Duke football bet loss of the year, sadge.

I'm encouraged, that was on the road against a team that lived up to the hype. Was worried after finding out how shitty NW turned out to be. Don't see why we can't win 3 out of UVA/GT/BC/VT, or steal one of the other four to get to 6-6.

Looking at remaining schedule and ratings + eye test:

GT & BC - Duke is a clear favorite
UVA & VT - Duke is a slight favorite (plus we catch both of them at home)
UNC is a slight favorite but trending pickem, I still don't have a very good read on them, they may very well suck
Miami is a clear favorite trending slight favorite, but also may suck
Pitt is clear favorite
Wake is a clear favorite

One thing I like about this team is that they seem like a squad that will win the games that they are supposed to win.

GT, BC, UVA and VT all feel pretty similar to me. Bad-to-mediocre teams that don’t look very well coached or do anything much above average. UNC is ever so slightly above as they at least have a potent offense, but man that defense is porous. Miami is talented, but has not been remotely impressive so far. Wins over Wake/Pitt would be huge upsets.

Last edited:
1995-2007 Duke wins by season:

1995: 3
1996: 0
1997: 2
1998: 4
1999: 3
2000: 0
2001: 0
2002: 2
2003: 4
2004: 2
2005: 1
2006: 0
2007: 1

You truly cannot overstate how bad we were before Cut took over. He did an incredible job reviving the program, I will never not be thankful for that. He just didn’t need to keep coaching after 2019.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom