Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke's MVP

Topher

All American
MVP

When Marshall Plumlee first anointed himself ‘MVP’ (Most Voluptuous Plumlee) it began to raise the question of who the legitimate MVP (Most Valuable Player) for this Duke team was. In this case, I base my pick on whom would be the biggest loss from the lineup by looking for the largest drop off from team efficiency when the player is taken out of the lineup.

As Duke’s horrendous luck with foot injuries to their bigs continues, the case study becomes more fascinating than ever. Ryan Kelly, presumed to be the MVP, was a key to offensive spacing and matchups for the Blue Devils, who now lack that big weapon in the arsenal.

In order to find the statistical MVP, you can’t simply look at each players efficiencies. You must also look at the numbers of the replacements. For example, we can hypothesize that if UNC lost Dexter Strickland to injury, it would mean very little as PJ Hairston (a more efficient player) would step in.

Let’s work our way down the lineup:

(PER – ORtg – DRtg – MPG)
PG: Quinn Cook (18.94 – 113.9 – 89.4 – 33.5)
Replacement: Tyler Thornton (11.15 – 103.3 – 87.3 – 21.3)

Cook has been one of the revelations for the Blue Devils this season as his defense has improved considerably. Thornton is the steady leader who has his limitations but makes up for it with heady, hustle plays. The difference between the players, as you can see in their numbers, is that Thornton is a slightly more efficient defensively but the team loses, over 70 possessions, 7 points per game if Cook were to go down injured. The defense would be improved by 1.4 points over the same game.

Cook’s Net Worth: 5.6 points above replacement (PAR)

SG: Seth Curry (21.14 – 121.8 – 96.9 – 30.4)
Replacements: Thornton, Alex Murphy (13.8 – 93.2 – 88.4 – 5.5)

In the only game that Seth Curry has sat out this year, Thornton logged 33 minutes and Murphy sweated out 21 minutes. In a tight, ACC game, I don’t expect to see Murphy get 21 minutes like he did against Delaware. However, with Curry out that frees up 30 minutes of playing time and Duke is suddenly without a bench to play unless Murphy steps in. So, ten extra minutes go to Thornton and twenty go to Murhpy. (More likely scenario sees Sulaimon play closer to 40 but that is nearly impossible to estimate)

For this situation, we need to find the point differential for the extra ten minutes Thornton gets and then Murphy’s time. For Thornton, we see that Curry is 18.5 points per 100 better on offense, while TT is 9.6 points better on defense. Brought back to 70 possessions, Curry is +12.95 on offense and – 6.72 on defense. However, we need to find the difference for just ten minutes, which works out to +3.2 on offense, -1.7 on defense.

Curry is only 1.5 points better than Thornton in those ten minutes.

The real separator for Curry comes with Murphy. In 20 minutes, roughly 35 possessions, Curry is 10.0 points greater on offense and only 2.97 points worse.

Curry’s Net Worth: 8.5 PAR

SG: Rasheed Sulaimon (14.88 – 108.1 – 92.8 – 29.5)
Replacements: Thornton, Murphy

I don’t think there is anyone in their right mind that believes playing Amile Jefferson on the perimeter is a good idea. Even if Kelly is healthy and you move him to the 3, you change the team dynamic by adding another low post player that clutters the lane for Mason Plumlee.

Instead, we fill in Murphy and Thornton for this position with a similar minute distribution for Curry’s spot. Fact of the matter, in Duke’s offense, Curry and Sulaimon are interchangeable in terms of role.

Rasheed comes out at only 0.84 points better on offense over the additional ten minutes for Thornton. However, Tyler comes out ahead overall because he is 0.96 points better defensively. In a basketball sense, trading Sulaimon for Thornton over ten minutes is largely negligible. Statistically, Thornton is 0.12 points better. If the minutes were more, Thornton actually grades out a bit better for the team.

Murphy, on the other hand, isn’t nearly as good as Sulaimon or Thornton on offense. Over twenty minutes, for our sakes we’re using 35 possessions, Murphy rates 5.2 points worse on offense but 1.5 points better defensively.

Sulaimon’s Net Worth: 3.6 PAR

PF: Ryan Kelly (25.3 – 131.2 – 89.7 – 28.3)
Replacements: Amile Jefferson (19.1 – 110.7 – 87.9 – 10.2)

An interesting case as swapping Kelly for Jefferson has completely changed the offense. Now, Duke is playing more high-low basketball and Jefferson is contributing more rebounding and scoring in the paint. Kelly’s absence we know has affected the offense by between 8 and 9 points just based off the points per possessions numbers from the Georgia Tech and NC State games. Duke’s ppp rate dropped from 1.18 to 1.04 without him.

In the mean time, Jefferson has asserted himself as a force on the boards (if he qualified, his 15.3% offensive rebounding rate would find him a slot in the top 30 in the country) and an effective scorer in the post.

Prior to his breakout, this difference might have been larger but Jefferson has shown that his role of cleaning up missed shots and sinking put backs actually proves quite valuable to a team that is missing more shots due to the spacing Kelly brought.

Instead of just taking the difference in minutes and applying them, I’m going to swap their minutes altogether because Jefferson’s numbers have altered severely since Kelly went down, thus painting a slightly inaccurate picture from minutes played.

The difference over thirty minutes offensively is that Kelly brings in 10.8 more points. Defensively, Jefferson rates slightly better than Kelly (although Kelly is a much better defender in isolation sets) at 0.95 points.

Kelly’s Net Worth: 9.85 PAR

C: Mason Plumlee (27.6 – 116.2 – 83.0 – 34.0)
Replacements: Jefferson, Hairston (5.5 – 94.7 – 94.0 – 12.1)

It is totally reasonable for someone to say Marshall would get minutes here if Mason were to go down. I don’t disagree. The question is how much. Jefferson has shown to more than adept at playing the low block and K has shown to favor Hairston there as well to spell the ACC Player of the Year candidate.

For this instance, we’re going to assume that Kelly is healthy and getting the lion’s share of the minutes at the 4 opening up Jefferson to get the majority of the minutes at the 5. Because of that, I can only assume Jefferson would get all of Plumlee’s minutes and Hairston would give breathers to both Kelly and Jefferson.

Jefferson, in 34 minutes, would actually only be a 3.3 point downgrade from Plumlee. Defensively, Jefferson isn’t quite as bad as you’d presume, compared to Plumlee. Plumlee rates at 4.16 points better on the other side of the ball.

Plumlee’s Net Worth: 7.46 PAR

Overall, we see that Ryan Kelly is in fact the most valuable player in terms of strict efficiency numbers. Somewhat surprising is the fact that Curry is actually more valuable compared to his replacements than Plumlee. Even more interesting is that if Tyler Thornton were getting Sulaimon’s minutes, theoretically, Duke would be better off.

I think Kelly is among several very important players to this team, but I am not sure this is the best way to calculate it. Offensive rating is a metric that is very powerful but only has meaning when paired with possession usage. Thornton, for example, may have a 103 offensive rating compared to Sulaimon's 108, but Sulaimon uses twice as many possessions which makes him a remarkably more valuable offensive weapon. Without considering possession usage, one is left comparing Thornton to Sulaimon favorably simply by the metric of how efficiently they produce points with however many possessions they actually use.

There is also a big problem with defensive rating. The guy who invented the metrics, Dean Oliver, advocates the use of additional non-standard stats to make the number more valuable: forced turnovers, FG% of players they defend, and so on. That is, to literally score games yourself to look for additional defensive factors that can make the number meaningful. As is, the estimation is very problematic as it can only take into account an individual player's blocks, steals, defensive rebounds, personal fouls, and minutes, while also taking account of the team's overall defensive ability. But there is no way to separate the team's ability with the player and without (just an estimation of the player's value proportional to his time spent on the floor), and it heavily privileges players who get lots of rebounds (big players) and players who cause a lot of obvious turnovers (steals). It might be that those players are indeed the most important and best defensive players, but it's also easy to imagine players with great block rates not being physically strong enough to dominate position on the low block, or guards who get a lot of steals being gamblers rather than strong positional defenders. It is impossible to measure contributions to team defense except in light of the team's total performance as well, at least without additional statistical tallies.

^ Couldn't you look at the team's defensive efficiency with that player on the court and without? Basically, a +/- solely for defensive efficiency. I realize that would also be flawed because when one player comes out of the lineup, he's not necessarily the only one coming out. But maybe you could look at all the common permutations of lineup and calculate from there. I don't know much about this stuff though.

rome8180 said:
^ Couldn't you look at the team's defensive efficiency with that player on the court and without? Basically, a +/- solely for defensive efficiency. I realize that would also be flawed because when one player comes out of the lineup, he's not necessarily the only one coming out. But maybe you could look at all the common permutations of lineup and calculate from there. I don't know much about this stuff though.

I think it's a pretty good thing to consider, but I don't think anyone has figured out a way to boil down one number (or a pair of numbers, as in the case of usg/ortg for offense) for defense. There's a lot of stuff to consider, and much as on offense, role matters in how a player fits with others. That is something that cannot be effectively captured in a metric I think.

My understanding is that the ortg and drtg represent the points per possession gained/allowed when the player is on the floor. For this excercise, the numbers should work when exchanging players.

Im not saying they are absolute, as all numbers are vulnerable to misrepresentation.

I think Mason and Seth are the team's co-MVPs. Do not wish to overlook RK's importance, but those are the 2 guys who have been excelled throughout the year. Both have had a few down moments, but the overall body of work is impressive

Mason's rebounding puts him at the top of the MVP list for Duke, tied with Cook's great all around PG play.
Kelly is right behind these two in the team MVP race.
Curry, well Curry is a shooter and not much more. When he's cold we're falling back, if and when he's hot we come back from falling back. That's not MVP type of play.

Overall, our key missing ingrediant is a VOCAL, rah rah type of leader to pull the team up to new heights. Why do you think Coach K and his staff are over there trying so hard to pump the guys up? It's because there is not one player yet (it may turn out to be Cook by seasons' end) who can do that.

I think Cook and Tyler are both pretty vocal.

Amile should be a great leader as an upperclassman.

Mason is still (at least) co-MVP IMO, even with his poor play in the UM game. He must get his FT shooting back on track and play aggressively, though.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom