Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Gary Trent Jr.

I thought I qualified it enough up there: "You probably can't find more than a handful of 6-6-ish guards in the past few years in college or the NBA who have shot that well from the line and that poorly from 3 over their entire careers.”

Gets rid of the really good FT shooting big men types who dabble in 3pt shooting and go 2-8 in their careers, and the small sample size anomalies.

I thought I qualified it enough up there: "You probably can't find more than a handful of 6-6-ish guards in the past few years in college or the NBA who have shot that well from the line and that poorly from 3 over their entire careers.”

Gets rid of the really good FT shooting big men types who dabble in 3pt shooting and go 2-8 in their careers, and the small sample size anomalies.

Well I can't do careers because of CBB references search engine but since 2010, there have been just 29 players that fit these bench marks:

≥ 85% FT
≤ 30% 3FG
≥ 3 3PA per game
≥ 4 FTA per game

Notable names include Malik Wayns and Earl Boykins

https://www.sports-reference.com/cb...=fta_per_g&c4comp=gt&c4val=4&order_by=fg3_pct

With someone like Boykins at EMU, I would just assume he’s taking crazy contested 3s off the dribble all the time. For Trent to brick wide open rhythm catch and shoot 3s like this, it’s either really terrible for him and Duke this season, or really anomalous and will get better naturally.

I vote really terrible for Trent and Duke AND anomalous.

He can get it sorted next year.

It's tough for me to think of it as anomalous when he had the same splitts in high school.

Eh, 33.5% in the DraftExpress database on a mix of catch and shoot vs. off the dribble 3s suggests he should be in the high 30s on open catch and shoot chances at Duke, like Rivers. DraftExpress always noted his bad shot selection. That hasn’t been the case on 3s at Duke. Just bricking the exact 3s any offense is looking for.

Trent could be Marcus Smart, one of those rare players who consistently shoots better on contested 3s than on wide open 3s, or Kyrie Irving, a more special player who has put in seasons with significantly higher off the dribble 3pt% than catch and shoot 3pt%. I am assuming Trent is neither.

Last edited:
I had my doubts but I think he finishes high 30s from 3. 36% after BC. We desperately need this out of him. He’s giving everything Duke could ask for in his role. Sad that he will likely be gone after this season, as he would be some kind of monster as a sophomore.

Offense needs to be more than merely #1 for this team to win a title. It’s not worth looking at offensive rankings anymore, rather than the underlying numbers. Duke needs the greatest offensive efficiency in history by a large margin to have a good chance at a title, something like 130 adjusted, and even that may not be enough with this defense. We need all the help we can get offensively.

We need our overall adjusted efficiency to be 30+ if history is an indication. Assuming the defense doesn't get better, 130 on offense would do it.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom