Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Gary Trent Jr.

Wisconsin 2015 was at 129.0, so 130 is more realistic than I thought.

That’s what Duke basketball fandom has come to - thinking about how the offense can consistently reach a level that is equivalent to 1.3 ppp against a nationally average defense, because that’s what it will take to compensate for the defense.

Averaging 5 boards a game as a guard is pretty impressive, especially given how many boards are snatched by Bagley & Carter.

Best rebounding Duke guard since Demarcus Nelson?

You would think that his dad, who could probably make a few calls and confirm for himself that the NBA is not interested in his son as a first rounder right now, could be a factor in guiding him back to school. But no, he’ll leave for the fucking G League like an idiot.

Nice to see him finally shoot well. I guess he is truly a feast or famine shooter.

In any event - quite a breakout.

The narrative I want to believe is that Trent wasn’t accustomed to taking so many catch and shoot 3s coming into college, and it took him a few months to get a good feel for the role. That’s not unreasonable. The robot in me thinks Trent might just be on a hot streak and could easily regress back to being a true low-to-mid-30s 3pt shooter. But that doesn’t seem likely, given his FT stroke.

Taking the optimistic view, his emergence as a 40-45% catch and shoot guy has pushed Duke into the top 100 in 3pt%. Duval’s emergence as not the worst shooting PG in college basketball history has also helped a bit. Taken together, having Duval as a true 27-33% wide open shooter and Trent at 40-45% should give Duke all the spacing it needs to potentially overtake Wisconsin 2015 as the best offense since 2002.

The most intriguing possibility is when Duke is trailing in an NCAAT game and needs to take some risk to make up points quickly. In that case, a lineup with Allen, O’Connell, Trent, Carter, Bagley could get it done over a small timeframe, though you probably wouldn’t want to see that lineup in regular, longer stretches, since any opposing guard might as well start the possession with the ball in the paint.

The important question I have to ask is - When Trent was throwing up on the bench, did the managers run over and hold a wall of towels up around him?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back