Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

I dunno, Grayson's certainly reads like a 22 year old, non-English major, wrote it

I don't really agree with that assessment of its quality, but that's beside the point. I'm not talking about the grammar but the rhetorical and structural stuff. You can see a similar tone and style throughout these articles. And they always end with some punchy last line. Given that many athletes have, like, 7th-grade literacy levels, I am skeptical.

Granted, Grayson is an academic All-American. I'm not really singling him out since I imagine he's more than capable of writing a decent paper after four years at Duke.

There's almost zero chance these things are published as the player writes them, and in some cases I suspect the player never even writes a first draft at all. There's an old approach to autobiographical works in which the "author" simply is interviewed by and/or provides various recollections to the writer/editor, who then condenses it all into something cohesive, trying to maintain the subject's word choices and personality as much as possible. Or, the writer uses a combination of written and oral information to do the same thing.

Sometimes the actual writer gets an "as told to" credit; other times it's just a straight ghostwriting deal.

As Rome said, on the whole, these Players Tribune things – even when they are trying to sound casual and conversational – are way too "writerly" to be written by people who don't write for a living.

There's almost zero chance these things are published as the player writes them, and in some cases I suspect the player never even writes a first draft at all. There's an old approach to autobiographical works in which the "author" simply is interviewed by and/or provides various recollections to the writer/editor, who then condenses it all into something cohesive, trying to maintain the subject's word choices and personality as much as possible. Or, the writer uses a combination of written and oral information to do the same thing.

Sometimes the actual writer gets an "as told to" credit; other times it's just a straight ghostwriting deal.

As Rome said, on the whole, these Players Tribune things – even when they are trying to sound casual and conversational – are way too "writerly" to be written by people who don't write for a living.
Yes, I am sure this is exactly what happens. I'm also sure that the universities and the teams involved have to give their final approval, especially when it comes to college players, which may mean some more behind-the-scenes details end up cut.

Has a chance to be our second best SG ever. Maybe not fair to say since he didn't do much his first year. And obviously Johnny Dawkins would be better if we consider him an SG.

Grayson has mastered college game so completely that he makes new challenges for himself, like attempting wild double-clutch scoop reverse layups with crazy english on the shot instead of simply going up for the easy layup on the left side of the rim.

Grayson has mastered college game so completely that he makes new challenges for himself, like attempting wild double-clutch scoop reverse layups with crazy english on the shot instead of simply going up for the easy layup on the left side of the rim.
His dagger three also had some unreasonable Steph Curry flair. I suppose he might have been fouled or was trying to sell that he was, but they weren't going to call it for a third time and risk a riot.

I love 99% of Grayson Allen and this team would be trash without him, just like 2016 would have. The other 1% is moments like the one at the end of the game where he got fouled at halfcourt and went back chirping at the guy. K gave him the "stern dad" and he went to the line apologizing to the ref. I know he is just a kid with a little bit of a temper and major passion while on the floor, which is fine. He described that part of himself in the PT column. But, he's got so many head hunters looking for that stuff and still can't reel it in. I feel for him because anyone else wouldn't get any attention from that play, but I've already heard it today from Duke haters.

I personally love that fire in him. It just makes me angry looking through post-game twitter.

I agree.. rafters.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom