Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

About 2 minutes in, I sent someone a text about how awful he had been so far. He did make 1 shot that the red waved off on the Duval moving screen (I guess that’s what they called).

About 2 minutes in, I sent someone a text about how awful he had been so far. He did make 1 shot that the red waved off on the Duval moving screen (I guess that’s what they called).

Yeah, early corner 3 that they waved off. I correctly took that as an omen of how Grayson's shooting would go, which according to my calculations brings my lifetime ORR% (Omen Recognition Rate) to nearly 10%. Like Duval 3 pointers, I'm on fire.

I don’t think the old sophomore Allen is in there anymore, and I’m not sure sophomore Allen would be more helpful to this team. Senior Allen’s numbers are remarkably similar to senior Quinn Cook’s numbers, which should make sense, as they’re both hyper-efficient role players who will do whatever is needed. The biggest difference is Allen’s much higher assist rate; Allen must be the truer point guard. Cook didn’t turn on the smothering defense until later in the season, so maybe that can still happen for Allen.

Kenpom is confused by what Allen has become as well. The comps are generally obscure.

Jermaine Beal, 2010 Vanderbilt, senior.
Isaac Hamilton, 2017 UCLA, junior.
Tyler Chaney, 2007 Missouri State, senior.
Matt Bouldin, 2010 Gonzaga, senior.
Sean Armand, 2014 Iona, senior.

His sophomore comparisons were all well-known stars in college: Chase Budinger, D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, Jordan Crawford, Luke Kennard, Nik Stauskas. All but Rivera played in the NBA. I don’t think any of his senior comps played in the NBA. I don’t think Allen will play non-garbage minutes in the NBA at this rate. He can be the best role player and absorber of hatred, and win a 2nd title, though.

Moving on to the acceptance phase of sophomore Allen being a supernova, never to be repeated, will make analysis of his senior season easier.

Not himself yet - but great to see him knock down 4 triples.

The foul on him was far worse than any of the trips he committed in the past. Could have been really hurt on that play.

I started to read your post in anger like, “is this motherfucker actually answering me?” Then realized you were stating something that hadn’t occurred to me.

That is encouraging. He was a bit of a space cadet on the defensive end for most of this month.

Need him to be more alert on backcuts, shot fakes, etc.

He goes for a lot of spectacular steals and gets beat backdoor because of it. He also closes out way too hard sometimes.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back