Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Javin DeLaurier

K should probably bite the bullet and go huge with DeLaurier at SF for longer stretches, so that he can get more minutes. Staggering Bagley and Carter’s time over 32 minutes each gives DeLaurier 16 minutes to begin with, at his natural C/PF spot. Duke will probably be much better off the more he plays, so he should get another 12 minutes or so in the huge lineup with Bagley and Carter.

He’s best on the team by far in plus-minus per 40 minutes, defensive rating and DBPM. There is no stat that indicates anything other than Javin is our most impactful defensive player. He’s 2nd on the team behind Carter in block rate, and tied for 1st with Duval in steal rate. He’s only slightly behind Bagley and Carter in defensive rebounding rate. His hands are everywhere on defense.

He fits into the offense just fine, and that’s an understatement according to the numbers. He’s 3rd on the team in offensive rating, behind Allen and O’Connell. He’s 1st in offensive rebounding rate, even higher than Bagley and Carter. He has a lot of flaws offensively, so he can only be a low usage role player, but that’s what Duke needs. DeLaurier should be doing nothing but picking, rolling, rebounding and dunking.

He averages 6.1 fouls per 40 minutes, so I understand that he can’t play at his normal intensity for 36-40 minutes in a close game like the usual star. Doesn’t seem that hard to coach him to play without fouling so much or to simply play him 28 minutes, though, including the highest leverage possessions of the game. I think he will end up as Duke’s most positive overall player per possession this season.

He and Marvin were both victims of being too blackletic a few times and were called for fouls because refs thought "well he must have fouled to be able to get to that rebound." This used to happen to Winslow on some of his blocks. This doesn't typically happen to Duke players.

Yeah, thought he was our most positive player other than Trent today.

I know I'm a broken record, but a 2-3 with he and Marbags on the wings and Carter in the middle should be a great defense at this level.

Javin had a bad game, but I'm not going to pretend the staff did anything to put him in a situation to NOT have a bad game.

At this point, the entire team could charge the stands and begin pummeling old people and small children, and I would say, "This is all on K".

I think Grayson was the shittiest, simply because he's a senior who knows the system (if there is one) and who is supposed to be the team leader. I won't be re-watching that shitshow, but I can only remember two plays where he looked somewhat assertive. The rest of the time he seemed hesitant or passive. In the second half, the only player I saw who seemed to be trying to manage the team in huddles was Trent, for better or worse.

Javin's role is to bust his ass. Anything other than that is a plus. He's not here to save a train wreck.

I think Grayson was the shittiest, simply because he's a senior who knows the system (if there is one) and who is supposed to be the team leader.

K is ultimately responsible for this mess, of course, but Grayson simply has to do better. I wasn't planning to expect much from him in a leadership sense until he started invoking Quinn's name, so he opened the door to being held to a lofty standard.

I have not seen anything definitive on the timeline he will be out - is it a week-to-week kind of situation?

Rewatched the Miami game and we aren't giving DeL nearly enough credit for his contributions on the bench. His yells, mugging, and flexing were sublime. We don't win this one without him.

Can this dude like, learn how to do something? It would be one thing if he was unskilled player with good instincts around the rim, but he can't even seem to score garbage buckets. Massive waste of athleticism and really disappointing lack of development thus far in his career.

His positioning on offense is a little odd - not sure what they are trying to do with him out near the 3pt line. No one waits for him to screen.

As long as he defends, rebounds and looks for put back opportunities he can provide what they need at this time.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom