Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

I never jump in movies Ben. Honestly can't remember the last time I did and I jumped twice in this movie. Best scary movie I've seen in years.

I really enjoyed The Killing of a Sacred Deer. I thought it was much better than The Lobster (by the same director). It was equally surreal, funny, and visually beautiful, but it followed the logic of its premise far more effectively. The Lobster's last 30 minutes didn't make any sense by the rules it had set up for itself.

I enjoyed Isle of Dogs. Beautiful visuals. So much attention to little detail. You could spend half an hour studying any freeze frame.

The script had lots of subtle jokes, but in my opinion the story was just okay. I definitely recommend the movie if you're a Wes Anderson fan though.

Infinity War is apparently trash, as expected.

According to who? Ive seen a ton of rave reviews so far. A lot claiming the best ending of any Marvel movie

69 on metacritic. 86% (7.6/10) from all critics on RT, 75% (7.1/10) from top critics. Those are the premier numbers, so expect them to settle about 5-10 points lower.

I also read a full synopsis. It's a mess. Tons of meaningless "shocking" moments. And it's only half of a movie.

A lot claiming the best ending of any Marvel movie

I say this sincerely and not as a hater, but anyone saying this should be assumed to have literally no credibility. The ending is probably the worst part of the movie, for a few reasons. The people on the movie forum I frequent are dragging the ending.

I’ll see any blockbuster or shitpost-style comedy with halfway decent reviews, like when Will Ferrell wasn’t making total garbage and his movies got like 55s on Metacritic decades ago. These movies are going to intrinsically suck from a traditional critic’s perspective.

I’ll see any blockbuster or shitpost-style comedy with halfway decent reviews, like when Will Ferrell wasn’t making total garbage and his movies got like 55s on Metacritic decades ago. These movies are going to intrinsically suck from a traditional critic’s perspective.
I feel like Marvel movies generally do well with critics though. And most critics are not really evaluating whether it's a "good" movie, they're evaluating whether it's good at what it's trying to do.

This is doing well with critics, just not at the same level as the best Marvel movies. It’s not going to be as beloved by critics as Black Panther, because it’s not making a heavy social statement. The average score for this whole set of movies starting with Iron Man is 84% on rottentomatoes, and this will be around there.

If you look at superhero movies outside of this Marvel set, the average review is probably terrible. We had the Christopher Nolan trilogy of Batman movies, Wonder Woman and that’s about it. Lots of Fantastic Four and Batman vs. Superman total abomination types. However, a lot of people liked Suicide Squad and probably some other superhero movies that critics hated, judging by IMDB. I think it’s remarkable that Marvel is doing so well with critics; they usually don’t react nearly as well to action blockbusters as they do to The Artist or The Shape of Water, which I’m not sure anyone aside from critics has seen or will ever see. I get that they might try to judge a movie on what the movie is going for, but it’s difficult to get past the bias for movies that are good in the traditional sense vs. movies that are going for sensory overload, removing the audience from reality and making recordbreaking amounts of money.

Last edited:
I was thinking the best example of critics not really giving movies their proper shot in context are the Tyler Perry movies. I'm assuming black people in general love Tyler Perry movies, because they consistently do well at the box office and I've never heard of a non-black person seeing these movies. I'm sure they are terribly acted, scripted and directed from an objective standpoint.

I wish he had not been so great in Gone Girl. So much talent only being enjoyed by one subset of the population.

Im just needling you but I fully expect to enjoy Avengers IW more than Last Jedi. I say that as someone who like LJ more than most.

Yeah, I get it. This type of movie just really isn't my cup of tea. I much prefer the Spider-mans and Black Panthers to the hyper action packed extravaganza movies. They're functionally indistinguishable from something like Transformers to me.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom