Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

Question for the non-religious folk of the board (so question for almost all of you):

Let's say something bad health-wise happens to you or a close family member. If a close friend of yours who is religious tells you he or she is praying for you or your friend's situation, what are your thoughts?

"Whatever. Who cares?" "That's stupid and pointless." "Please don't." Or is it something more like... "It's nice to know someone is thinking about me and cares about the situation" ??

I'm just curious because this situation comes up for me (as the prayER not the prayEE) from time to time, and I pretty much always keep it to myself because I assume the other party doesn't care.

I think both of those things. It's nice to know they care, but I also think it's stupid and pointless.
This is exactly my response.

I would never say something like "Don't pray for me" or "I don't care" though. I would probably say "thanks" just to be polite. I know they mean well, and if they believe it will help they might as well do it. It's not like praying would have a negative effect. Worst case, it's neutral.

This reminded me of something though:

There is a store called Badcock and more. I don’t know what they sell, but I just saw a commercial.

I really wish I hadn't, but I ate some McDonald's chicken nuggets a few months back. Those things were freaking good. Not sure what they have done to them since I was a youngster, but I would definitely go back for more.

Costco is hooking up with Instacart to offer same-day home grocery delivery. My days of shopping outside the home are numbered.

I really wish I hadn't, but I ate some McDonald's chicken nuggets a few months back. Those things were freaking good. Not sure what they have done to them since I was a youngster, but I would definitely go back for more.
The breading is way better and the meat no longer tastes like mashed together, reconstituted chicken parts.

As much as I hate grocery shopping, new grocery stores are the best. Mostly I love their bright, shiny shopping carts that glide noiselessly along the aisles, with four finely balanced and aligned wheels all working together for a common goal. And little-to-no dried baby snot or teething infant slobber on the handle.

The new Harris Teeter in Brier Creek has an actual bar with TVs and 16 beers on tap, all craft. They sell growlers at a reasonable price. I go there sometimes after work to get some stuff for dinner and there are always groups of old men sitting at the bar or at the tables drinking beer at 3 in the afternoon.

You tried the new chicken tenders? Delicious. So is the new sauce.

well, based on the fact that I wasn't bitten, I'd say it was a nurse shark. I'm basing this on a separate incident that occurred about an hour later.

I had been wading around in neck-deep, very murky water, which is flat out nerve wracking anyway. After the bump, I went into the beach and grabbed a board to finish the lesson. On the board is just way safer, and in deep water it's easier to get around on a board. So, with about 10 minutes left in the lesson, I got this kid into a really good wave.

After his wave, I submerged the tail of my board deeper into the water to spin around 180 degrees and paddle back out. (When you push the tail of your board down in the water (while sitting on it), when you turn around, the buoyancy of the board helps propel you forward). When the tail of my board submerged, it hit a substantial object, that was very clearly alive. I could feel a ton of turbulence from the animal as it moved to get out from under me.

If it had been any other kind of shark, it would have bitten me at the point my board hit it, IMO.

Last edited:
Yikes, that sounds terrifying. Murky water is the worst.

A few years ago I was finishing up a session and was riding a mushy wave straight into shore. The nose of my board suddenly collided with something big and I got tossed off. I hastily scrabbled back onto my board and body boarded the next wave in. My buddy who was still out back later told me he saw a shark where I fell off my board. Definitely freaked me out for a while.

Yeah, nothing worse than wading way off shore and seeing one of those large dark shapes cruising nearby. I used to do a lot of surf fishing when I was young, and would stupidly wade out to sand bars towing a bag of cut bait with me. I had one close encounter with a 4-5ft Sand Shark and I never did that shit again. I was dumb, but I could learn.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back