Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

DurhamSon

Legend

Read: 'KU bagman needs to make his counteroffer'

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely needs to go to Duke. Kansas is a terrible place, they have tornadoes there that send houses hurtling into alternate dimensions filled with evil witches and nasty, winged monkeys that give small children nightmares. This is why it's known as a "fly-over state", because houses, monkeys - and sometimes cows - are often seen flying overhead. I don't recommend going there.

No tornadoes at Duke because the Earth is flat.

Lol, he ended up calling his trip to KU a "10 out of 10" was well. Got bullshited by Jason Jordan with that preview tweet.

What was the name of the guy that Barnes gesticulated to? 10 out of 10 visit there, too.

It was the guy who led them around Duke chapel. And he was "very gesticulated."

I get the feeling Duval says every visit he takes is a 10. He's just playing the game.

Don't watch if you don't want to get invested in his recruitment. I am only about 20 minutes in and it's great so far. I'll have a jump shot tally by the end of the video and we can weigh that against dunks and layups to determine whether he can shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a consistent shooter at this point, particularly with feet set. Made just 23% of 3-point attempts at UAA on 53 attempts this summer.

Having shot only 2-of-27 from 3 (7.4%) and 50-for-94 from the free throw line (53.2%) according to our database, any signs of growth are a positive for Duval.

18.9 assist percentage and a 16.7 turnover percentage according to 30 games in our database.

Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trevon-Duval-81776/

Probably another Derryck Thornton, perhaps even more harmful to the team as a freshman. I have no hopes for him to be anything better than an atrocious negative player in the one year he spends in college. Give in to the reality now and be pleasantly surprised if wrong, instead of denial followed by catastrophic disappointment when it unfolds in front of your eyes.

The comparison you will want to make in your Duke homer mind, if Duval commits to Duke, is Derrick Rose, the next level athlete at PG with crazy length and hops who essentially carried his team to a national championship, and then lost it with missed free throws.

Rose shot 34% from 3 and 71% from the line, and had a 1.8 assist/turnover ratio. Duval will need to hit at least those numbers, in a much, much tougher conference than Rose played in, for Duke to contend. This is assuming that Duval, like Rose, is a transcendent talent when it comes to breaking down a defense, finishing at the rim and destroying weaker college athletes defensively. These are not safe assumptions.

We can hope he's De'Aaron Fox, right? Fox makes Rose look like a sharpshooter but still managed to be a positive player.

Thornton wasn't actually an awful jump shooter, he just sucked at basketball. I've expressed skepticism regarding Duval due to his inability to shoot but, like Fox, he can still be effective at the collegiate level provided he isn't a dumbass.

We would need a masterful coach to have realistic hopes that Duval turns out like the exception that proves the rule. I doubt you can find many high major point guards with the impressive usage/efficiency profile of Fox who have terrible, suicide-quality jumpshooting stats. In fact, there might be only one coach in college basketball who runs the kind of system and has the kind of point guard whisperer touch you need to get good overall production from players who are this broken as shooters.

Yea would definitely be worth looking into how much of an anomaly Fox was. I tend to think that a guard who can penetrate at will and make good decisions with the ball can have success against college defenses even without a jumper.

Even with Fox, we saw that UNC just played him for the drive and blocked every one of his shots at the rim. Watch the video though. Worth it (unless we miss on him, in which case it's a complete waste of your time).

Would Ball count as a pg with a broken shot who was still effective? or in the way back machine - someone like Jason Kidd? or maybe Duhon?

Is it a broken shot if it goes in a lot? Seems like a totally different issue (or really, a non-issue) in Ball's case.

And shooting from the PG position wasn't quite as important in Kidd's day.

He shot 41% from 3...I wouldn't call it broken. Ugly maybe, but effective. Also had a 3:1 Assist/TO ratio

Putting aside my irrational hatred of Duke basketball and Coach K for a moment, I think it's very much possible that Duval can put up decent overall offensive numbers, but he has to be used and coached properly. He can't be Tatum. He's not nearly as good a shooter as Tatum (assuming all the DraftExpress reports are reliable), which is saying something. He's not going to put up Tatum's decent efficiency numbers if he takes all those midrange jumpers or even all those 3s. Duval would be the first guard I ever root for at Duke whom I'll want to pass up wide open 3s, even while defenders give him infinite space all game.

He should be able to be somewhere around 25% usage, 115 efficiency, as long as he's taking catch and shoot 3s only, and otherwise driving and finishing or finding open shooters the rest of the time. He'll also need to be a 70% FT shooter, given how much he'll get to the line with this approach. He has no future in the NBA if he doesn't embrace this, so everyone should be aligned on this.

None of this will happen. The coaches will let him do whatever he wants, because he's an OAD talent. Probably a ton of off the dribble 3s and midrange shots. Another career goes to waste at Duke.

Don't think Trey will need to shoot much. He is sensational in transition and at driving and finishing at the rim. He'll have plenty of space because there will be so much talent surrounding him. Frank and Trent can stroke it. Knox has improved his 3-point shot and is now better than Tatum at the same stage. TBD if Luke and Grayson are there, as well.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back