Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

I also predict that this will be most Duke fans' least favorite player ever once the season is over.

He would've gone to whatever elite program had the most minutes and usage available for him. No apparent attraction to Duke other than that. No intention to be at Duke more than necessary, might even be the first to stop attending 2nd semester classes. Add this to what will probably be around 30% usage and 100 efficiency, driving an unwatchable product on the court.

However, I'll happily take the upside of him proving all of this wrong, over the known limitations of the roster without him.

I am happy about this. The other option was minutes for Goldwire or something.

As for offsetting his jumper, it can be done with the right offense. Roy would simply have him push the pace every time. I don't have confidence in K to do that unfortunately.

rome8180 said:
I am happy about this. The other option was minutes for Goldwire or something.

As for offsetting his jumper, it can be done with the right offense. Roy would simply have him push the pace every time. I don't have confidence in K to do that unfortunately.
I too am happy about this.

I am also sad that this is the lowered bar of expectation I am now happy about

According to Parrish:

Duke's likely starting lineup next season:
G: Trevon Duval
G: Grayson Allen
G: Gary Trent Jr.
F: Wendell Carter
F: Marquis Bolden

LOL

I'm a bigger fan of Trevon than most of you. He's not Kyrie but I think he's close to De'Aaron Fox. Maybe not as quick but more bounce.

Fox averaged 16.5 ppg and 4.6 apg with shooting 24% from 3 and 74% from the charity stripe. 27% usage and 22.6 PER.

Duval shot 23% from 3 (26 for 111) in his AAU career. He had a really rough junior year in AAU in terms of shooting which skews the stats.

I'll be pleased if he comes in and knocks down 25% of his 3s (maybe 1 or 2 attempts per game), scores 16.5 and doles out 6-7 assists per game.

I personally don't feel like K knows how to use a non-shooter to the same extent that Cal does.

Funny, I was thinking that exact same thing earlier this morning, rome. Duval seems like a natural fit at Kentucky where Calipari has done well with athletic, non-shooting PGs like Rose, Wall, and Fox. I have no idea what to expect of a player like that under Coach K. K tends to get the best out of talented guards, but I can't think of any off the top of my head who couldn't shoot before arriving at Duke.

Physics, I laid down a theory about pace of play and non-shooting guards in the other thread. Basically, I think some of a bad shooter's weaknesses can be negated by playing fast. Duke normally plays a middling tempo. UK is all over the place, but they played fast with Fox.

There's other factors too of course -- how much is your offense dependent on spacing? how much do you depend on your offense to win in the first place, etc. -- but upping the pace seems like a good place for K to start to get the most out of Duval. Unfortunately our excess of big men and shortage of guards may make that untenable this year. If we can't play fast, I'd emphasize defense and rebounding over offense, but that won't help Duval personally very much.

JWill is probably the closest we have to compare to Duval. Volume shooter, high usage, mediocre from 3. But that was a different era.

JWill shot 35% from three as a freshman for us. And 39% overall for his career. On high volume.

rome8180 said:
JWill shot 35% from three as a freshman for us. And 39% overall for his career. On high volume.

Yes. Maybe I'm spoiled by recent Duke 3 point shooting, but anything under 40% with his usage is chuckerish, IMO. I'm a huge Jwill fan, BTW, my favorite era of Duke hoops. I think he is the best comp for Duval.

So I took the time to watch Greensboro Day vs IMG Academy from this past year on YouTube today.

Here's my Duval scouting report from that one game:

1st quarter: 8 points. 2-3 from 3 point range. Had a great layup showing tremendous body control. 4 wild passes trying to do too much/be too fancy. 1 nice flick ahead to Emmitt Williams.

2nd quarter: 6 points. Charging foul. 0-2 on 3s but missed one that really shouldn't count against his % because it was a desperation heave. Fantastic steal and fantastic reverse layup. 2 terrible passes afterwards. Missed very deep two pointer (bad shot selection). Good feed deep into Williams but couldn't finish. 2 utterly fantastic drive and finishes to end the half. Split a pair of defenders in his last one.

3rd quarter: 0 points. 0-2 on 3s with a hideous brick at end of quarter. Got in transition and tried a bizarre scoop pass that didn't work. Tried a spin move and threw the ball into traffic. Great drive and dish in paint, but teammate didn't finish. Nice rebound and full-court assist. Created some fouls with his various crossovers.

4th quarter: 0 points. 0-1 on 3s. Ill-advised lob. Air-mailed the next lob. Took a possession all the way to the rim and missed. Got blown by on defense- he leaned one way and the ballhandler went the other. Visibly frustrated most of quarter. Got fouled on a drive and missed the front end of the 1 and 1. Split the defenders on his last drive but was called for charging, thereby fouling himself out.

To be fair, the entire IMG team looked very undisciplined.

VERDICT:

Athleticism and ability to finish are top notch. I think limiting turnovers from attempted fancy plays and limiting 3-point attempts will be the most important thing for us this year. No way on Earth do I want him taking 2-3 triples a game, much less 8. Honestly not even sure the kid is ready for the NBA.

The glasses on Duval in those pics.. are those new or has he worn them in HS and I just never saw them in highlights?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom