Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who Should Replace Cutcliffe?

Played for Spurrier at Duke, but hasn't coached in college in a quarter century. Feels extremely risky. If we're going the NFL route, I'd much prefer Greg Roman. Jeff Monken is still my top choice overall.

Will say this search has not inspired much confidence so far.

What's your main concern with his long absence from college?

Looks like he did well in Minnesota and is well thought of as a DC at the NFL level, so he's at least probably smarter than most college coaches. Not quite sure what to make of hiring a longtime NFL guy though.

Just the general ability to adapt to the college game, I guess. As an example, Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards, two long time NFL coaches, have struggled at Illinois and Arizona State, respectively. Roman at least spent time at Stanford under Harbaugh 10 years ago.

Was Lovie Smith ever a good coach in the NFL? I remember feeling like he sleep walked through games as the HC of The Bears.

His offenses were pretty putrid IIRC.

I'm a bit skeptical on Edwards as a Head Coach. He certainly has the resume knowing defense. I'd feel a whole lot better if he announced that recently fired Offensive Coordinator from the Panthers Joe Brady or someone like him was coming with him. When a kid is making his decision on where to play we have a proven recruiting prowess of someone like Brady would put excitement in the Duke faithful.

He would have been on the initial list if I knew he was open to moving on.

The early National Signing Day for football is next week and Duke may find their next football coach by then.

According to Steve Wiseman, the two leading candidates are Clemson’s offensive coordinator Tony Elliott and Texas A&M’s defensive coordinator Mike Elko. Former Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, who is a big Duke basketball fan who pops up in Cameron on a regular basis, is also in the mix.

All three are smart guys. Elliott was a walk-on at Clemson who was also an Academic all-ACC selection. Elko is a Penn grad while Garrett attended Princeton.

Just my .02 cents.

Tony Elliot shouldn't be the hire. He's worked at a great Clemson program but I think he only even called plays for two seasons, and their offense fell off a cliff once Lawrence left in his second season. Mike Elko is legit and has a lot of great experience, unlike Elliot who has just been with Clemson. Elko has run successful defenses at tough academic schools in the ACC with Wake and at power like Notre Dame, and he's done great at A&M in the SEC with Jimbo Fisher. If you're going to hire a coordinator he's definitely the best option for multiple reasons.

Regarding Garrett, I'm not going to beat it up just because, but if he's hired it has to come with specific guarantees. The guy doesn't have a single second of experience as a college coach which means he's missing the most important role of being a college coach- recruiting. if Garrett is going to be brought in, it can't be under some personal redemption tour where he's running the offense. If he comes in it needs to be as a CEO type of head coach where Duke is making a serious commitment to football by building up a legitimate recruiting department, and where he has a competitive staff budget to hire quality coordinators and position coaches that will recruit, and most importantly, a legit S&C coach since that's the bloodline.

Garrett could work but the margin of error is very small and he will need to be very well supported by the school and athletic department.

Miami just gave Cristobal a 10/80 contract and are giving him a significantly increased staff budget exceeding 8M per year, which surpasses Clemson as the largest staff budget in the ACC. Idk where Duke is but if they want to actually compete they need to get into at least the top half of the ACC on staff budget.

Just my .02 cents.

Tony Elliot shouldn't be the hire. He's worked at a great Clemson program but I think he only even called plays for two seasons, and their offense fell off a cliff once Lawrence left in his second season. Mike Elko is legit and has a lot of great experience, unlike Elliot who has just been with Clemson. Elko has run successful defenses at tough academic schools in the ACC with Wake and at power like Notre Dame, and he's done great at A&M in the SEC with Jimbo Fisher. If you're going to hire a coordinator he's definitely the best option for multiple reasons.

Regarding Garrett, I'm not going to beat it up just because, but if he's hired it has to come with specific guarantees. The guy doesn't have a single second of experience as a college coach which means he's missing the most important role of being a college coach- recruiting. if Garrett is going to be brought in, it can't be under some personal redemption tour where he's running the offense. If he comes in it needs to be as a CEO type of head coach where Duke is making a serious commitment to football by building up a legitimate recruiting department, and where he has a competitive staff budget to hire quality coordinators and position coaches that will recruit, and most importantly, a legit S&C coach since that's the bloodline.

Garrett could work but the margin of error is very small and he will need to be very well supported by the school and athletic department.

Miami just gave Cristobal a 10/80 contract and are giving him a significantly increased staff budget exceeding 8M per year, which surpasses Clemson as the largest staff budget in the ACC. Idk where Duke is but if they want to actually compete they need to get into at least the top half of the ACC on staff budget.

Elko would be an excellent choice. It's looking more like Garrett is going to be our guy. Regardless, this is Nina King's signature hire so this may take another week before she decides.

why do we even have a figurehead AD? Save some salary and just let K take the job next year

This would be the biggest mistake Duke could make moving forward. He has zero college experience other than the fact he went to Princeton.

Duke needs a football coach who is a proven winner, can flat out coach and recruit.

I've listed choices that are available that if you wave enough money around we will get them.

Gary Patterson Everything we want and need. We just have to find the cash for this guy.
Jamey Chadwell Coastal Carolina HC who doesn't make enough money. If we don't get him now then look for him to bolt next season.
Joe Brady Recently fired by Panthers
Scott Satterfield (He's at Louisville but that place is a shit show and he might be willing to get the hell out of that sad place.)

That's off the top of my head. Elko, DC at Texas A&M would be a great HC. He will leave after two years but who wouldn't to make more money? And if Duke goes the route of Jeff Monken at Army running that option then I will never return to see another football game at Wallace Wade. Todd Monken is often confused with his cousin because of the name but he is OC at Georgia and runs a spread offense. He would work.

Have no idea if this is a good/bad hire. Just hope he can recruit.

Quick google search declared Elko "a tenacious recruiter" so that's good.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom