Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Zion Williamson

Visiting Duke for CTC.

Figured it was time to give the young man a thread since Reddish and Barrett, the other two parts of the Terrific Triumvirate, have one.

Also, my Marvin Bagley thread turned out well, so here ya go!

Why doesn't Tre Jones get to be part of the triumvirate?

He's a different type of player at a different position. RJ, Barrett, and Cam are 3 5-star, can't miss, future NBA All-Stars who are versatile wings. Tre may be the most important member of the potential class, so I'm not discounting him, to be clear. He's going to be GREAT.

He's a different type of player at a different position. RJ, Barrett, and Cam are 3 5-star, can't miss, future NBA All-Stars who are versatile wings. Tre may be the most important member of the potential class, so I'm not discounting him, to be clear. He's going to be GREAT.

Dude, rein it in...

Dude, rein it in...

This should be better: they are the 3 players not named Bol Bol who are most likely to become NBA All-Stars, IMO*

If we land Barrett I would prefer if we did not land Zion Williamson. For one I don't want to see Zion or Reddish at the 4. I think we have the opportunity to be very good defensively (as a whole, rim protection + rebounding) with a veteran front court of DeLaurier and Vrankovic. Everyone is essentially saying he won't be here for his junior season, but I would like to have a junior Bolden starting at center next to DeLaurier, that would be ideal instead of him just trying to get drafted in the 2nd round or transferring.

I think having a veteran front court would really balance out having the freshman trio of Jones-Barrett-Reddish starting on the perimeter. Yes this line-up has spacing flaws, but it isn't as horrible as it sounds, especially if we land Garland and have he, O'Connell and Tucker on the roster. A roster of Tre Jones-Barrett-Reddish-DeLaurier-Vrankovic-maybe Bolden-Tucker-O'Connell-Garland-White is very strong and IMO very well balanced between star one and dones and players with experience in the program. If we don't return Bolden I would imagine Duke would add another big in 2018 or reclassify Bacot, which I'm fine with. The pieces compliment each other and I think we would see a very well balanced Duke team that might not have a great offense, but it will be good enough, and with size and experience on the inside I would expect us to have a good defense regardless of our recent defensive failures.

Zion just doesn't fit in at all for me. The talent level is different, but I would compare adding Zion to like adding Bolden to last seasons roster. It is just not necessary and will likely inevitably create some problems. Barrett and Reddish can play together, or Reddish and Zion can, but I just don't see all 3 fitting together- plus having to play one of them at the 4 would hurt us defensively on the interior and it wouldn't provide much additional spacing.

Ideal situation would be for us to land Barrett and Zion to turn down UK and KU and go to Clemson or USCe.

IMO

I think Reddish and Barrett basically play the same position and have roughly similar skillsets. Zion, imo, is not very much like them.

Sorry, StF, but not wanting Zion at the 4 is crazy unless that's a typo. IMO, that is the only position he's suited for. I can see the argument against Reddish playing the 4, but arguing against Zion playing there makes no sense.

Also, what you want is irrelevant to what Coach K will actually do. If Barrett and Reddish play together, for example, I can almost guarantee you that they play at the 3 and 4 and not 2 and 3.

Jones-Reddish-Barrett-DeLaurier-Williamson would seem pretty fearsome from a mismatch perspective. Of course all depends on getting them to play defense.

If StF was suggesting Zion at the 5, then I can somewhat get behind that. But if he was suggesting that he should play the 3, I can't see that at all. This seems like more of the "size queen" syndrome that is so prevalent on Duke boards. It's like because Coach K mostly goes small we're obsessed with "going big" as the answer to all our problems, even when the players' skill sets argue strongly against that strategy.

I think he was implying Zion would be forced to play the 4 rather than the 3 if we got all three stars. Zion at the 3 is a disaster. Zion at the four with Vrank/Bolden type at the 5 is a disaster. Zion at the 4/5 with DeLaurier opposite, or Zion at the 5 with Cam/RJ at forward and Jones/Garland in the backcourt could be pretty damn sweet.

I know many coaches try to pitch top guys on playing one position down - Reddish at pg, Knox at sg, Henson at sf - but I think an intriguing pitch to Williamson would be the Draymond Green lineup of death scenario. I do think he'd be a matchup nightmare for college centers who couldn't possibly match his speed/quickness. It would be difficult to see that lineup failing to put up historic offensive numbers.

Right, that's the way I interpreted his post. And I agree with most everything you said in response.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back
Top Bottom