Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Brandon Ingram

Topher

All American
We'll need a thread on this kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would LOVE the staff to sign this kid. He's young for his grade -- he'll turn 17 in September of his senior year, has freakishly long arms, good height for at least SF in not PF right now, and he can put it on the floor a bit, and shoot from outside.

He's like the picture of high ceiling. At least a 35% chance he turns into John Henson with three-point range.

I know folks are concerned about his skinniness, would he be a possible redshirt candidate?

I kinda haven't wanted a kid to reject a Duke offer like this since Bronson Koenig and JP tokoto.

bdotling said:
I know folks are concerned about his skinniness, would he be a possible redshirt candidate?

I feel like it's unheard of for a 5* to redshirt without injury, but I can't really see Ingram playing at all his first year if Winslow comes back. If Winslow returns, hopefully whatever minutes he doesn't play would go to Semi, but more likely they'll go to Jones/Allen/Kennard. I don't see any room his first year.

DurhamSon said:
I kinda haven't wanted a kid to reject a Duke offer like this since Bronson Koenig and JP tokoto.

I don't get the hate. Because he's not jet quick? If we're going to give an offer to a "good kid" who grew up a Duke fan, shouldn't it be a 16 year old with a 7-foot wingspan?

Because he doesn't do anything particularly really well and doesn't really have a defined position. Pass.

If he commits and then Jeter feels the front court is too crowded... i'm gonna be pissed.

IDK, the kid gets buckets and lopes down the court like he's still growing. His shot is butter.

I wonder how he compares to Rodney Hood at similar stages. Nothing in his current highlights suggests that he has Hood's vertical leaping ability or explosiveness but I think Ingram could be a valuable asset if he's willing to put in his time. Despite his lack of quick feet he's got a lot of defensive potential with his length and he's probably not done growing.

He's a lengthy perimeter player with a good jumper (allegedly) and is a 5-star despite being relatively young for his high school class. And isn't he supposedly good buds with Giles? I like the offer.

Lol yea too many athletic, versatile 5* players would be a serious problem for Duke...everyone should call Coach K's cell to tell him to rescind the offer...wtf

First of all, he's not a five-star. Not according to Scout anyway. He's the #40 player in his class. Second of all, I've seen his position listed anywhere from 2-4. Third of all, you can have too many of any given player type. I don't get that "you can never have too many" meme. Fourth of all, he's not particularly "athletic." Fifth of all, his shooting form is not very good and he gets zero lift on his shot. Sixth of all, we're not even recruiting a PG but we're offering this guy at a position that's not of need?

Disagree with the reasoning if you want. But don't be a self-righteous toolbag while doing it.

So he IS versatile if he has been listed anywhere from 2-4, he is a 5* player according to ESPN, and he is long and can do a wide variety of things on the court, which would to me show that he is athletic. Maybe not in terms of hops, but that's some serious shade thrown at a kid who from all accounts is a very talented, life-long Duke fan from the area.

I like to think that we should offer kids based on their individual merit rather than in comparison to their peers due to age differences within graduating classes and the wide range of when skill development occurs. And what's the harm in having more talent in practice/on the bench in case we get into unprecedented levels of foul trouble or if a rash of injuries occurs at a position he can play? We also never max out our scholarships anyway.

I am not trying to get into a TDD-level fight about this, but calling people who question your own opinion using sarcasm "toolbags"? Sweet dude.

I would break it down like this:

1. He's an average athlete. Maybe along the lines of Amile, who has pretty similar measurements. Maybe a little bit more above the rim than Amile?
2. He's a guy that played a lot of guard, and now has started growing freakishly. And may not be done growing.
3. As such, he's got much more perimeter skill than Amile, LT, Semi, and others had.
4. He's 190 pounds, but he's 16 1/2. If he only matches Henson/Amile level of weight gain, he can still be at 210 before he's a soph.
5. He's not a perfect stretch 4 due to his weight/frame (at present), but could be a very good imperfect one just like Dunleavy was, or Nelson was.
6. He has no go-to skill, but looks to have a versatile set of them.
7. He seems like a nice dude, grew up a Duke fan, and is (at least) a top 40 player.

I'd still say, by all means, offer him (which we did, so that's moot anyway). In context, I'd also say I'd certainly rather offer Ingram as potentially our second combo forward behind Semi than add a fourth combo guard to the roster in Jalen Coleman, which is what some were arguing for a couple of weeks ago.

Not sold on him but this would be big trouble for Roy, and UNC if they lose him. A NC kid who plays for Kinston, Stackhouse AAU team choosing Duke over UNC yikes...

Where are people getting that he's a good shooter?

I've watched the kid a couple times now and he doesn't play with an aggressive, attacking mentality at all, likes to loaf a bit. I did see he took 17 shots in one of his games in Dallas this weekend (which I suppose is an indication that he's becoming more aggressive), but he missed 14 of those 17 shots.

I'm not seeing what's so attractive about him as a prospect. Not impressed. Too many "hopes" with him. Strength, position, skills, whether he scares off another player at his position, etc.

Sounds like the athletic college stretch 4 who will defend, rebound and make corner 3s for four years. K would never play him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom