Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

The top 4 teams should all open the season in the top 10 to 12 in the country. Syracuse will still be good because of Boehiem, that zone and all of their athletes. FSU has some nice pieces, but Hamilton is the most predictable, average coach in the conference. Notre Dame has good young talent and get back possibly the best player in the conference in Grant. Pitt will be their usual, decent team that over achieves and gets into the tourney with a not so good seed. NC State will probably finish similar to last year even though they will play differently without Warren. Boston College, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Wake will all be hovering around the bottom. Miami is the team I like most to challenge the top 4 teams. Larranaga is such a good coach and they have a ton of perimeter talent. They get two very good transfers from the Big 12 McClellan comes in from Texas, Rodriguez from K-State. Their top recruit from last year who missed the entire season is healthy and the kid they have coming in this year is an absolute stud; Jaquan Newton.

If they stay healthy, the Cuse frontcourt will be pretty good.

wtbball21 said:
The top 4 teams should all open the season in the top 10 to 12 in the country. Syracuse will still be good because of Boehiem, that zone and all of their athletes. FSU has some nice pieces, but Hamilton is the most predictable, average coach in the conference. Notre Dame has good young talent and get back possibly the best player in the conference in Grant. Pitt will be their usual, decent team that over achieves and gets into the tourney with a not so good seed. NC State will probably finish similar to last year even though they will play differently without Warren. Boston College, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Wake will all be hovering around the bottom. Miami is the team I like most to challenge the top 4 teams. Larranaga is such a good coach and they have a ton of perimeter talent. They get two very good transfers from the Big 12 McClellan comes in from Texas, Rodriguez from K-State. Their top recruit from last year who missed the entire season is healthy and the kid they have coming in this year is an absolute stud; Jaquan Newton.

That's easily the worst Duke schedule I've ever seen from a home games standpoint.

Our nonconference schedule is much easier than the last two years (albeit with one built in loss). Our conference schedule is way harder. I guess that's a fair tradeoff.

Early practice rumors that we will never see during the regular season prolly designed to get Sheed to not play like a bitch

Last edited by a moderator:
This year's PPOY (practice player of the year). Previous award winners include Miles Plumlee, Alex Murphy.

Pretty much the same K did with Mason Plumlee to get Boogie playing harder on d

Apparently our whites practice really well. Except for Marty who must have been the worst practice player ever.

With Tyus, Sheed, and Quinn all probably playing 25+ minutes per game, there simply won't be much room for the underclassmen guards to make an impact. I guess we could play Matt for defensive purposes if his shooting can improve from catastrophically awful to merely bad, however I don't see any way for Grayson to carve out a role on this team. Extended PT for either of them probably means that either Quinn or Sheed have fucked up and gotten themselves in K's doghouse.

rome8180 said:
This year's PPOY (practice player of the year). Previous award winners include Miles Plumlee, Alex Murphy.

Shocked Murphy never amounted to anything at Duke. He dominated the one practice I got to see. Thought he was going to be the next Dunleavy. I emailed Rowe telling him that Murph was going to be a lottery pick. Not my best prediction.

wtbball21 said:
rome8180 said:

Shocked Murphy never amounted to anything at Duke. He dominated the one practice I got to see. Thought he was going to be the next Dunleavy. I emailed Rowe telling him that Murph was going to be a lottery pick. Not my best prediction.

My favorite Murphy moment of all time, was when he took a wide open three from the key, and the announcers thought he must have slipped because the shot was so completely off it was comical.

NOPE, just murphy's shooting stroke.

There is still time for that prediction to work out. It might happen now that he is receiving real coaching. Not your fault that Murphy didn't wait around long enough for Wojo to be gone.

I'm gonna be seriously pissed if matt jones shoots something like 30% from deep. It's not even his slow release time; he was terrible on wide open shots.

Are recruits so fucking soft mentally these days that they can't handle freshmen years anymore?

DurhamSon said:
I'm gonna be seriously pissed if matt jones shoots something like 30% from deep. It's not even his slow release time; he was terrible on wide open shots.

Are recruits so **** soft mentally these days that they can't handle freshmen years anymore?

I bet he goes the way of Trevor Cooney. My guess was his shooting was a combination of nerves, speed of the game and the fact that he didn't get a chance to shoot the ball once every three possessions for the entire game. Cooney shot 26% from 3 his freshman year.

DurhamSon said:
wtbball21 said:
rome8180 said:

My favorite Murphy moment of all time, was when he took a wide open three from the key, and the announcers thought he must have slipped because the shot was so completely off it was comical.

NOPE, just murphy's shooting stroke.

Crazy thing is I watched him hit 12 threes in a row in one of the kickout shooting drills. He has to have severe confidence issues.

I've made this comparison before, but PJ Hairston came in to UNC with the reputation of being a deadeye shooter and hit only 27% of his threes his freshman year before improving to 39% as a sophomore on much higher usage. Although I doubt Matt plays much this year, I hope we see a similar jump in accuracy.

M. Jones becoming a bigger, better Thornton would be really good. I would expect Jones to be behind Sulaimon and/or Kennard for the rest of his time at Duke, so filling the backup 3 and D role at up to three positions would be ideal. The thought of having two elite 3 and D guys (Jones and Ojeleye), if not this season then probably for the two seasons afterward, makes me happy after an undertalented 6'0" guy filled that role for the past few seasons. All that needs to happen is Jones relearning how to make 3s and Ojeleye learning how to play defense.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom