Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

skins said:
Wake might actually make sense for him. Head coach with a rep for producing big men, get as many touches as he can handle, revive a dead program, etc. I still can't see him not playing at Duke or UK though.

This doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. What big men did Manning 'produce'? Arthur? Kaun? Morii? Aldrich? Robinson?

Kind of a who's who of random NBA journeymen. Not one bit better than Duke's list over the time period.

And since Giles plays more like (a not fat) Parker or Deng or Griffin......

Anyway, you're not wrong, the rep is there. I'd hope our staff could demolish it pretty easily, though.

Derryck Thornton cuts list to 10:

Duke: "Coach K is a legendary coach, it's a great education and it's a great national program."

Kentucky: "Coach Cal is a great coach. My ultimate goal is to get to the league and they do a great job helping players get there."

Michigan: "I love the staff - it's a great staff - and all the coaches there are super supportive. I love the style of play and coaching staff."

Louisville: "I have a good connection with some of the coaches there. I love the style of play and what coach (Rick) Pitino does with his point guards. I can see myself fitting into their system."

Arizona: "They're from the West Coast and that's always great. I've known the coaching staff for a long time; they've been on me as long as almost anyone on my list so that's been cool and they're close to home."

Cal: "I have a great relationship with coach Yanni Hufnagel and coach Cuonzo Martin. It's real close to home, it has a great education and it's a great school."

USC: "They're close to home and were the first school to offer me and that's always great. I love the style of play, it's a great school, a great conference - the Pac-12 is great - and it's really close to home."

Miami: "I love coach (Jim) Larranaga; he's a great, great dude and a great person to talk to. They have a really good staff, their location is great and it's in a really good conference."

UNLV: "It's a great school, it's close to home and on the West Coast. I live in Las Vegas now so I know a lot of people here and sometimes it's good to stay home."

NC State: "I'm just starting to build a good relationship with their coaches but they keep in contact a lot and I really like their coaching staff. They're in a great conference."

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/14739 ... down-to-10

I would think this is somewhat in order already it comes down to Duke and Kentucky. His "close to home" talk seems insignificant when over half of his chosen schools are nowhere close to home.

deeyoukayeee said:
skins said:
Wake might actually make sense for him. Head coach with a rep for producing big men, get as many touches as he can handle, revive a dead program, etc. I still can't see him not playing at Duke or UK though.

This doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. What big men did Manning 'produce'? Arthur? Kaun? Morii? Aldrich? Robinson?

Kind of a who's who of random NBA journeymen. Not one bit better than Duke's list over the time period.

And since Giles plays more like (a not fat) Parker or Deng or Griffin......

Anyway, you're not wrong, the rep is there. I'd hope our staff could demolish it pretty easily, though.

I should have stated, it doesn't really matter how we dispute Manning's credentials because he'll sell it either way.

Caleb Swanigan is visiting this weekend. He's a 6'8" C in 2015, which obviously makes him undersized, but he's 275. No idea what our chances are. Our frontcourt will already have Jefferson, Jeter, Obi, Plumlee, and Ojeleye. A lot of competition for minutes.

Crystal Ball says he's a heavy MSU lean. Seems like the type of player Izzo lands.

He's most highly rated underwhelming mix tape recruit. Does seem like a MSU type tho

I don't really see where he fits in to be honest. He may be an upgrade over Plumlee and Obi, but he wants to get to the NBA as quickly as possible and doesn't seem good enough to warrant being the focal point in an Okafor-styled offense. I'd rather roll with Amile/Jeter/Plumlee/Obi and allow for more touches to go to our guards.

I doubt it, if anything this strengthens K's recruiting pitch that he sees Jeter as a 3 or 4 at the next level.

I don't think he overlaps with Jeter as much as he does with Obi.

John Watson has implied on Scout, and said more explicitly on Facebook, that this is about Obi not being all that great.

I just don't know how the staff would have enough of a sample size to say that. I mean, he's only a sophomore and he's been on campus for a couple of months. Maybe not recruit over one of the best rebounders in the nation as a freshmen for another freshman? I dunno

That's a decent amount of practice time to evaluate a guy, though. We make recruiting decisions based on much less to work with that that.

That said, I'm not sure I love this either. Even if Obi isn't great, we've got Marshall, Jeter, Amile and Ojeleye. Do we really want another fat guy who just wants a quick path to the league?

If Swanigan comes to Duke, it will be evidence in itself that he is neither expecting to be featured in an offense nor expecting to be one and done, unless K has developed a crazy ability to tell lies so ridiculous with a straight face. I don't think I'd be able to tell a 6'8" fat kid with nothing beyond center skills to his face, without rolling on the floor, that he will be a 1st round pick in one year, after being the featured offensive player on a team with a dozen other 4- or 5-star players. So if Swanigan comes to Duke, I'm not going to be concerned with his attitude. With guys who are legitimate one and done players, I think we want them to have that attitude of single-handedly destroying opponents.

I've seen nothing in the videos of Swanigan that makes me think this guy would be a starter in 2015-16 when we have Jeter, Jefferson, and Plumlee.

If he stayed around for a second year? Sure. We'd certainly have a need.

That free article on TDD with the Ingram and Swanigan evaluations made me feel better about Swanigan and worse about Ingram.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom