Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jahlil Okafor

rome8180 said:
I didn't realize his uncle's name was Emeka.

Yeah I didn't realize he was actually related to Emeka until this weekend. Exorcising 2004 demons I suppose

krsmith16 said:
Seemed to be establishing position farther and farther away from the paint as the night progressed...which obviously helps no one as he's no threat from10-15 feet and only manages to fuck up spacing.

Is this actually true? I thought I remembered his foul-line jumper being okay -- I think he hit one or two in the exhibition games.

He's also hit a couple of turnaround bank shots and one turnaround baseline jumper.

IMO, he has touch out to about 15 feet. We might be better served having him in the middle against the zone instead of Amile.

Okafor's jumper may not be terrible or even bad, but it's just worse than almost any other shot the Duke offense can get. That's why I think the dropoff offensively when we go from Okafor to Plumlee is not significant and might be nonexistent as long as Okafor has the green light from 15 feet and in. Plumlee would never take anything but a layup in a non-blowout. 3s will be open even without Okafor soaking up all the attention inside, because the guards and Winslow are great at breaking down a defense.

Of course, what Okafor gives us is dominance when used properly, and offensive stability when 3pt shooting goes bad for any given game, at a level no other player in the country can match.

Unrelated, I think Jefferson can become a very low volume 30% 3pt shooter pretty quickly. Ibaka, Griffin, McRoberts and Bosh have all done it, with NBA nerds saying it's a good idea for even bad 3pt shooters to take 3s. Jefferson raising his 3pt ability from zero to bad would be great for his draft stock and be important against Kentucky, if no other opponent.

duke.gif

From Luke Winn's power rankings.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... k-kaminsky

Plumlee's FTA/FGA is 3x Okafor's.

Winslow is 49th in the country with 7.7 fouls drawn per 40 minutes.

I'd rather Jah pass out to the open 40+% three point shooter than force it to the basket and hope to hit 60% from the line. Maybe that's wrong mathematically but that feels like what's going on versus those other post offense oriented players.

Jahlil's low FT rate is even well below Jabari's, and I always thought Jabari got fouled much more than was called on his drives and post-ups. What are they doing differently to not get fouls called? Our other good post players like Mason and Shelden didn't have this problem.

At this point Jahlil is still a better FG% shooter than a FT shooter. I don't want him on the line.

Putting him on the line means one or two chances for a .538 shooter to hit a free throw, and a chance at a rebound while the opponents' biggest guy is under the basket and our biggest guy is 15 feet from it. Fuck that noise.

rome8180 said:
There are benefits to drawing fouls besides the free points, though.
Yes. Getting the opponent's bigs in foul trouble is nice. Also, getting into the double bonus quicker is nice. Also, if Okafor is getting hacked on his shot, I'm assuming he is much less likely to make said shot than he would a clean look, so I would rather he get sent to the line for a chance at one point at least instead of zero.

Lastly, that FG% number for Okafor might be misleading. He shot 17-20 against two bottom-100 teams. He shot 19-40 against three real opponents (Part of that is he is getting hacked with no calls which goes down in the stats as poor shooting). I imagine his FG% and FT% will probably end up close to the same assuming he doesn't completely stink against all real opponents.

I thought Stanford played him fairly cleanly. Temple was fouling the shit out of him, though (and all our players).

To be fair, he missed a few putbacks that he would normally make. Probably worn down from getting fouled repeatedly.

As for getting in the double bonus and drawing fouls, I am happy that we have Winslow and Tyus to offset Okafor, Sheed, and Cook. I haven't looked at FT rate for most of the guys, but the eye test tells me Sheed and Cook are pretty low. M. Jones, Grayson, and Jefferson seem like they'd be somewhere in the middle.

Jefferson, Winslow and Plumlee are all around #100 in the country at FT rate, which is great. Sulaimon and Tyus are fine for guards. Cook is extremely low; he's a short Danny Green now. Allen has an elite FT rate for any position, which is typical for an Allen stat; if he could maintain his numbers in real minutes, he would be a shoe-in for NPOY and might be remembered as the best basketball player in history.

Okafor's FT rate is probably a small sample size anomaly. Quinn Cook should not be drawing fouls at a higher rate than him.

Cook mostly takes threes, so it's not surprising. When he has driven the lane, he's almost been too good at it. He's laid the ball in without being touched.

rhfarmer said:
What I see from that chart is that Kentucky gets all the calls.

I'd love to see Hansbrough added to the chart. Then graph it with the same statistics professionally. The whiplash of the 'outlier' under each scenario would be comical.

Hansbrough's FT rate just pisses me off. Over 70 every year except his senior year when he went down to 68.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back