Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Man you guys weren't kidding about NOD turning against this kid.

Can anyone actually speak to Slater's credibility as a evaluator of talent? I know his recruiting credentials are top notch, but I haven't read anything that spoke to his evaluation ability and accuracy.

Kind of way too reactionary to live and die by one sentence from Slater as if its gospel about a kid's game.

Go figure I have to go to TDD to read a NOD post discussed in this thread. Glad to see Dukiesrock is able to look objectively at the shooting percentages, unlike the eye-test promoter, NOD.

Slater likes Jackson a lot, I think.

I tend to give him a lot of credence at this point - past the fact that he sees more of these guys than anyone but coaches, he's got a pretty good track record. I've been following him since he was with watzone, but a couple of recent evals also come to mind - he was a huge fan of Jonathan Isaac before anyone knew who he was, then a few weeks later he blew up as a top 10-15 prospect, and he was the first one on the Gabriel train, too.

Obviously no one's perfect, but he seems like if you're going to base your opinion off of anything, it might as well be his take.

Pantone287 said:
I assume Utah basketball is garbage, even in his 5A classification, but shooting %s should still translate, right? As for overall ability, I think it's encouraging that it was really this spring/summer that he blew up.

Actually, Utah basketball is quite good but only at the very top. There are two good teams: Lone Peak and Wasatch Academy. The former, Frank's team, were prep champions in 2013. I think they beat Jabari's team.

I don't think either of them were ranked nationally this year though. I might be wrong. I don't think any of the other schools are any good though, at least not on a national level.

Thx Elevator - in any case, I am not worried about Jackson's showing this weekend and I hope he brings his skill set to Duke. Kid looks dynamite

Welcome aboard, ECD. Good first post too.

Activity heavily picks up once the season starts, if you're willing to ride the rest of the summer out. A month until football gametime chats, at least.

Interesting. Do you know if they play a national schedule vs. just beating up on inferior competition?

There are some litttttle white kiddos in his highlights.

Re: the bolded part - almost every message board poster does this. I don't consider it to be a negative.

rome8180 said:
NOD has a habit of speaking authoritatively about things that are very much open to debate.

On another note, Jackson made a comment in that article about defensive effort. I liked what I saw from him on defense tonight. In one-on-one situations he's capable of staying with his man. I couldn't really assess his team defense for obvious reasons.

How is Jackson's high school competition? I am always wary of a Semi situation, but it seems like in most games vs. major comp he's scored pretty easily. Dropped 28 on Dennis Smith (not sure if Smith was actually guarding him).

DurhamSon said:
Welcome aboard, ECD. Good first post too.

Activity heavily picks up once the season starts, if you're willing to ride the rest of the summer out. A month until football gametime chats, at least.

Thanks!

Pantone, as far as national competition, LonePeak absolutely does. In 2013, they had the toughest schedule in the nation. Their only loss was to #1 Monteverde.
Here's a write-up in the NYT on them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/sport ... .html?_r=0

They didn't play much outside competition last year though. While good, they haven't been at that level lately.

I don't know much about Wasatch Academy. I think they are basically a prep school for basketball players.

rome8180 said:
Jayson Tatum post-commitment blog. Why do I get the feeling we're going to end up taking Dennis Smith even though we don't want him?

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/the-jayson- ... refQuery=/

I’m still trying to get Dennis too! He’s another guy that I’ve talked to for a while about playing together so we’ll see what happens with everything.

I want Dennis Smith. With Frank Jackson too.

It was mostly a joke, but by "we" I meant the staff. Smith seems to want to come here despite the staff having backed off him (or never really having pursued him that hard in the first place).

But honestly we don't have room for two backcourt players, unless Allen goes pro or something.

Pack Pride would go nuclear. They have had him penciled in for so long.

This makes 5 of the top 13 recruits coming to Duke in the Tatum class.

1. Giles
3. Smith
5. Tatum
11. Leaf
13. Jackson

Gabriel should be top 20 soon as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting move - Arizona seems to always end up with top 5 recruiting classes, so I wonder who they will go after instead of Leaf?

Interesting indeed. I wonder of this had anything to do with Frank canceling his visit to Arizona. Somewhat doubt it, because I think it's really a Duke-Stanford battle, but I wonder.

I see that UCLA is Leaf's expected destination; would have been nice to see Stanford take a run at him.

Fuck UCLA

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom