Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA Draft Discussion

All up to your personal preferences, but my approach would definitely be to keep swinging for the fences in the mid-1st round. A guy like Giannis at #15 (where he was picked) is franchise defining and title enabling, whereas a total bust or even 5 busts in a row at #15 doesn’t cripple you. Though I’d wonder what a franchise is doing if they’re happy drafting in the mid-1st round every single season.

A fringe starter/solid backup for 5-10 years at #15 would be considered a good outcome, and that’s just not an asset in the NBA. You can sign those guys just as readily as you can draft them. You can find a Tyus Jones at an affordable price in free agency every year, and LeBron’s not trading even a 2nd round pick for that guy.

I can see that. I just think about the way a franchise like Memphis has drafted in the 20s. They've taken supposedly lower "upside" guys with high floors. And it's really helped flesh out their roster. Of course, they're also pairing it with two top 5 picks in Morant and Jackson. So at some point you do need to get a top 5 talent either by trade or the draft. I guess you could argue that their team upside is still limited. But if Bane, Clarke, Tillman, etc continue to be solid players, they can at the very least be trade assets if they do find they need another star. In other words, I'm disagreeing with you a bit on the trade value of the solid starters. A team that has no bad players and no bad contracts is often better poised for contention than it might seem.

And of course, Memphis did the opposite in this last draft with Ziaire Williams. Privileging youth and upside over a high floor.

As for your example, I think I'd be comfortable taking freshman Allen over Moore despite the sample because his efficiency and per minute numbers were so encouraging. It's a different case than a guy like Ziaire, who had nothing but pedigree to recommend him. That's where I get off-board with youth as a selling point. He also has too many I's in his name.

This trend of borderline-top-100 guys who blow up as sophomores being immediately taken seriously as top 5 picks is interesting. On the one hand, we were probably due for a swing back in that direction, where efficient Grayson Allens are valued more than back muscled Noah Vonlehs.

On the other, feels like some of it could be an overreaction to very small data sets that have a lot of noise. Especially when you're going so much off of shooting %s, there's just so much randomness. Take a few dozen guys who are true 33-35% shooters on volume, and a few are going to hit 40-45% over the course of the season just based on luck. It's literally a difference of 10-20 bounces, and can vault someone from a fringe pick into the lottery. Just kind of weird.

1. Detroit Pistons
Chet Holmgren | Gonzaga | PF | Age: 19.6

2. Oklahoma City Thunder
Paolo Banchero | Duke | PF/C | Age: 19.1

3. Orlando Magic
Jabari Smith | Auburn | PF/C | Age: 18.6

4. Houston Rockets
Jaden Ivey | Purdue | PG/SG | Age: 19.8

5. New Orleans Pelicans
Jalen Duren | Memphis | C | Age: 18.0

6. New York Knicks
Jaden Hardy | G League Ignite | SG | Age: 19.4

7. San Antonio Spurs
Trevor Keels | Duke | PG/SG | Age: 18.3

8. Sacramento Kings
Patrick Baldwin Jr., | Milwaukee | SF/PF | Age: 19.0

20. Oklahoma City Thunder (from Clippers)
Mark Williams | Duke | C | Age: 20.0

25. Houston Rockets (from Brooklyn)
Wendell Moore Jr., | Duke | SF | Age: 20.2

55. New Orleans Pelicans (from Cleveland)
Boogie Ellis | USC | PG/SG | Age: 21.0

Looked at Holmgren’s numbers. Yeah, I guess you have to consider him over everyone else, despite him being an old man.

If Keels can play like ass offensively for the majority of his games and still warrant the #7 pick, then he’s going to rise possibly into the top 4 conversation if he can improve his shooting this season. Both Keels and Duren seem like moonshot picks based largely on age.

His stats are holding up as the season goes along and the sample size increases. Still nasty. I think it's a very obvious pick at #1 overall at this point.

Jabari Smith dominating early against Alabama. He’s a fucking monster. Why was there ever a conversation for the #1 pick between he and Banchero?

This really was great. Also really long, so I could only skim it. A basketball writer to keep an eye on as he goes through his career. Touches on other guys, mainly Banchero.

With Banchero showing more eye test and stats evidence that he has the potential to be the #1 option on an NBA contender, I think people will be more comfortable with the idea of picking him #1 over Smith or Holmgren. Those two will always be surrounded by doubts over their ability to carry a team with the ball in their hands.

This draft looks good. I’d be happy with about 6-7 players as a dumpster franchise looking for a future star. Just not Pat Baldwin. The bottom 4 teams will be sitting pretty for draft odds.

Last edited:
J Kyle Mann is one of the best out there. This board would already know that if they listened to me. He did the Dime Drop videos back in the day, and now he's responsible for some of the best Ringer content. He has the best prose style of any sports writer outside of Lowe, and his evaluation has typically been very accurate too.

In other news, if evaluators weren't lazy and didn't only watch marquee matchups, AJ would be jumping into the top 6-7. Personally, I prefer him as a prospect to Paolo, but that's going to be a tough sell given Paolo's size and AJ's injury concerns.

Last edited:
I would include Griffin in that elite group of 6-7, personally. I might even put him #1 overall after a few more games of being unchained. My biggest concern with him is defense.

My order right now would be:

1. Jabari Smith
2. AJ Griffin
3. Jaden Ivey
4. Chet Holmgren
5. Paolo Banchero
6. Kendall Brown

7+. Jaden Hardy / Johnny Davis / Bennedict Mathurin / Keegan Murray

Of course my #1 priority is shooting. Brown is the ultimate lottery ticket - he could be just about anything. I might take the great unknown over Holmgren and Banchero. Even having Banchero at #5 feels bad, like putting Jahlil Okafor in your top 10 coming out of Duke - you're doing it out of a sense of inertia and consciously herding with everyone else, because he has been so hyped up for so many years, but you feel like maybe he shouldn't even go in the 1st round in today's NBA. His ceiling is probably higher than anyone else's in this draft, so it's not nearly the same situation, though. Develop the shooting and he would potentially be a Ben Simmons-like defender with Tatum's offensive game.

Last edited:
I would include Griffin in that elite group of 6-7, personally. I might even put him #1 overall after a few more games of being unchained. My biggest concern with him is defense.

My order right now would be:

1. Jabari Smith
2. AJ Griffin
3. Jaden Ivey
4. Chet Holmgren
5. Paolo Banchero
6. Kendall Brown

7+. Jaden Hardy / Johnny Davis / Bennedict Mathurin / Keegan Murray

Of course my #1 priority is shooting. Brown is the ultimate lottery ticket - he could be just about anything. I might take the great unknown over Holmgren and Banchero. Even having Banchero at #5 feels bad, like putting Jahlil Okafor in your top 10 coming out of Duke - you're doing it out of a sense of inertia and consciously herding with everyone else, because he has been so hyped up for so many years, but you feel like maybe he shouldn't even go in the 1st round in today's NBA. His ceiling is probably higher than anyone else's in this draft, so it's not nearly the same situation, though. Develop the shooting and he would potentially be a Ben Simmons-like defender with Tatum's offensive game.
At the very least, I feel like Banchero could have a lot of success as a small ball 5 on a great team. He may not be your #1 offensive option, but having someone who can guard all five positions, stretch the floor at league average, and taking slower traditional centers off the dribble is worth a top 7 pick in this draft, imo. It all depends on his being drafted by a team that's not married to traditional positional thinking, however.

That top 2 is going to be worth losing every game for. Never heard of “Nick Smith.” Whoever gets a Duke player is going to be pissed off.

Wow, guess it shouldn't be surprising but kind of nice to see a legit draft guy have all three that high. I'm not convinced that Kyle and Lively will actually be good enough to warrant top 5 or even top 10 picks, but that would sure be nice.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom