Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

Lololol

K saw his last chance at a title go up in flames. He’s just pissed that he has to stay for the rest of the games and can’t quit watching like us. Would be funny if it was announced Zion is done for the year, and K retired on the spot.

Yeah, but it’s still an odd moment. K might not always be graceful in defeat, but he’s typically more gracious than that, particularly with coaches he considers peers.

Really makes me wonder what exactly was running through his head. Pissed at the refs, the gods, his own team - sure. But unless something went on that we don’t know about, can’t understand why he’d be pissed at Roy.

Yeah, but it’s still an odd moment. K might not always be graceful in defeat, but he’s typically more gracious than that, particularly with coaches he considers peers.

Really makes me wonder what exactly was running through his head. Pissed at the refs, the gods, his own team - sure. But unless something went on that we don’t know about, can’t understand why he’d be pissed at Roy.
I'm always pissed at Roy, why shouldn't K be pissed at Roy?

He didn't even seem that pissed at me. He clearly said something to Roy, and seemed to nod his head a bit, he just didn't linger quite as long as Scheyer. Whatever.

Reactions: TBC

He didn't even seem that pissed at me. He clearly said something to Roy, and seemed to nod his head a bit, he just didn't linger quite as long as Scheyer. Whatever.

Yeah, I can see that. Perhaps I'm projecting my own shittiness onto K.

Could imagine K just saying "thanks, he'll be fine" or whatever and moving on. Roy probably understood K didn't feel like chatting.

Reactions: TBC
What's K going to do with the offense now? Ques probably needs more post ups for inside out passes? High ball screens for RJ or Camfam don't seem to create much movement.

What's K going to do with the offense now? Ques probably needs more post ups for inside out passes? High ball screens for RJ or Camfam don't seem to create much movement.

I'd go full 2010, post-adjustment, and hope Tre can shoot his way out of his slump a bit to at least make people have to guard him. A lot of three-man-weave, two-baseline screeners, curls for the wings (sometimes on both sides at once). And hope Javin and Marques can channel their best LT/Zoubek.

I'd go full 2010, post-adjustment, and hope Tre can shoot his way out of his slump a bit to at least make people have to guard him. A lot of three-man-weave, two-baseline screeners, curls for the wings (sometimes on both sides at once). And hope Javin and Marques can channel their best LT/Zoubek.

I wouldn't hate that. That would force Vranko into the rotation though, if you're playing Ques and Jav at the same time.

Vranko/White subs for Ques/Jav, AOC rotates with Barrett/Cam/Tre (lol like he's coming out).

This trend is NBA-only but will hit college soon enough, if it hasn't already:

Scrolling through the college top 10 defenses, it's a widely varying mixed bag - Texas Tech, UVA, Kansas State and Florida allow a lot of 3s. Michigan, Duke, VCU and Wisconsin prevent them. Not many teams in the middle (Kentucky stands out for being mediocre here). Might be time to adjust opinions on whether those teams that have appeared to be playing the 3pt lottery defensively are actually ahead of the curve and doing whatever the Bucks, Celtics and Pacers have figured out.

Last edited:
Like that piece from a few years ago on Goodhart's Law and Moreyball on offense, I think 3-pointers allowed is probably best viewed as a consequence of a number other things that may better reflect good or bad defense.

Yes, we're (pretty consistently, and also this year) good at making our opponents shoot poorly from 3-point land, so theoretically it might be good to get our opponents to take a lot more threes, but that only works if the changes we make don't lead to other negative conseauences (like allowing them better looks).

Like that piece from a few years ago on Goodhart's Law and Moreyball on offense, I think 3-pointers allowed is probably best viewed as a consequence of a number other things that may better reflect good or bad defense.

Yes, we're (pretty consistently, and also this year) good at making our opponents shoot poorly from 3-point land, so theoretically it might be good to get our opponents to take a lot more threes, but that only works if the changes we make don't lead to other negative conseauences (like allowing them better looks).
you mean like the layup drill UNC ran on us?

This tweet points out that the reason giving up more 3PA is becoming the better defense is because teams are taking much smarter 2s now. So the TS% of 2s is going up in the NBA vs. the TS% of 3s. Not sure if the same can be said of college, though.

Dz__ANuU8AANPyM.jpg

The Big Man Renaissance is coming...
I welcome the Big Hoss next year with open arms :)

What that is showing is what we've all known for years. You can't contest 3's, a shot largely based on luck, and defend 2's. We've all seen the lay up lines.

That's great. I think it has more to do with everyone becoming anti-midrange than big guys getting more layups, though. Meanwhile, you have Popovich staying two steps ahead, going heavy with elite midrange players.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom