Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Coaching

This wasn't their best game, but I think the staff has done a fine job overall this year. The roll-out-the-ball stuff is laughable; we're calling sets a majority of the time down the floor, and we're running them pretty well. This team actually seems to executes their sets far better than the last few -- having a point guard helps a lot -- but happening to have the worst three-point shooting team in program history does hinder our efficiency. The sets even include some new things that leverage having multiple play-making wings, including a lot of mid-post stuff. They've had to deal with some weird slumps from White and Jones in addition to injuries, and they're doing it okay on offense.

The defensive prep has certainly been worse than the offensive prep. That said, the Goldwire Death lineup 2-2-1 press against Louisville was as big a defensive high point as I remember in a while maybe (at least since the Amile-beasting, Duke-goes-zone game at Lousiville a few years back).

People tend to overlook that despite losing all five starters from last year's team, we currently (even with the last 5 games) have the same adjusted offensive efficiency (121.0) as our 2010 championship team.

People are overlooking the overall numbers of this team with respect to coaching evaluation because those numbers are so extremely dependent on one player, who was great immediately and is clearly not a product of Duke coaching.

He's historically great.

But to judge the staff solely based on how the team has looked since the team's best offensive and defensive player got hurt seems flawed too.

I honestly don’t think there is much they can do differently in the halfcourt on offense. They’re trying to get Tre in more ball screens and putting Barrett in as many isolations as possible from different spots. I honestly don’t think they’ve missused Reddish. I just don’t think he’s a very good player right now. You can obviously see the spurts and the potential and that’s why he is going to be such a high draft pick. He hasn’t really shown the ability to consistently score at a high percentage within any area or on any shot type. If you want to see more Bolden post up plays (I don’t), I guess that could have been done. White is a spot up shooter only. Javin and Goldwire are negatives offensively. Tre is a weak halfcourt offensive player. I’m surprised he doesn’t have the ability Tyus had in terms of putting the ball on the floor whether off a screen or not and getting guys open looks off a drive (part of it is the lack of shooters). One guy I think you could argue hasn’t been used enough or properly is O’Connell. Not only can he shoot but his handle doesn’t look bad, he’s hit some pull-ups/floaters and has above average athleticism.

Grayson was never the same as an upperclassman because he got fucking screwed. He was asked to be the PG in 2017 and in 2018 his driving lanes were reduced due to the 2 bigs, and both he and Trent Jr struggled finding rhythm 3's because due to the lack of interior spacing Duval couldn't drive and kick to set up step in 3's.

He's historically great.

But to judge the staff solely based on how the team has looked since the team's best offensive and defensive player got hurt seems flawed too.
We’re judging their Xs and Os, their actual in-game coaching ability. It’s fair to look at the talent disparity they have to work with, and the difference in results when you take that away from them.

I'm more sympathetic to discounting results when a player gets injured in-game (e.g., Syracuse, UNC). We've now had weeks to prepare a competent game plan without Zion that utilizes the talent still on the roster. We played a team that was barely top 200 tonight and we were a hair away from suffering what I believe would have been the worst loss of the K era (factoring in opponent/venue) at least in recent memory, supplanting the 2017 State game in Cameron.

BTW, 2014 Vermont was 100 mother fucking spots more highly ranked than this Wake team.

We’re judging their Xs and Os, their actual in-game coaching ability. It’s fair to look at the talent disparity they have to work with, and the difference in results when you take that away from them.

I'm just saying that all teams will look bad if you take away the linchpin of their defense 75% of the way through the season, especially if he's gone temporarily and you thus want to avoid coming up with a completely new gameplan.

I'm just saying that all teams will look bad if you take away the linchpin of their defense 75% of the way through the season, especially if he's gone temporarily and you thus want to avoid coming up with a completely new gameplan.

He's been gone long enough for them to come up with some new, different wrinkles. That's called coaching. Outside of a horns set to get RJ at the elbow going downhill to his strong side (which my grandmother could've come up with), they haven't done shit. Why no pin downs for Alex? Why not some of those baseline sets we used to run for shooters years back and when a defender cheats the big can slip to the rim for a layup? This could've (should've) been done throughout the season, particularly in the event you end up in a situation like the one we're now facing. There's been plenty of time, but K doesn't run practice anymore, he just holds shoot arounds and has them watch film to evaluate where they could've made a different read out of their isolation sets. Yee-haw.

I honestly don’t think there is much they can do differently in the halfcourt on offense. They’re trying to get Tre in more ball screens and putting Barrett in as many isolations as possible from different spots. I honestly don’t think they’ve missused Reddish. I just don’t think he’s a very good player right now. You can obviously see the spurts and the potential and that’s why he is going to be such a high draft pick. He hasn’t really shown the ability to consistently score at a high percentage within any area or on any shot type. If you want to see more Bolden post up plays (I don’t), I guess that could have been done. White is a spot up shooter only. Javin and Goldwire are negatives offensively. Tre is a weak halfcourt offensive player. I’m surprised he doesn’t have the ability Tyus had in terms of putting the ball on the floor whether off a screen or not and getting guys open looks off a drive (part of it is the lack of shooters). One guy I think you could argue hasn’t been used enough or properly is O’Connell. Not only can he shoot but his handle doesn’t look bad, he’s hit some pull-ups/floaters and has above average athleticism.
And who is to blame for three upperclassman frontcourt players being incapable of providing anything other than wide open dunks?

To be fair, most college coaches would get exposed. Jay Wright is the only one who I think would be up to the NBA level on X's and O's.

K would probably do fine managing LeBron's ego. He's used to letting his star players do whatever they want.

And who is to blame for three upperclassman frontcourt players being incapable of providing anything other than wide open dunks?

Definitely not backing the coaching staff at all. I think the player development is god awful. Just in terms of halfcourt offense, there’s not a whole lot else you can do. They could run these intricate sets with a ton of screening and movement which would look “good” but would be ineffective because the other team would just be able to leave certain guys open and not account for them in certain areas of the floor. While Dukes offense is very vanilla, it does a good job of keeping guys away from touching the ball or even being in spots where they aren’t useful and putting the ball in their better players hands in great spots.

To be fair, most college coaches would get exposed. Jay Wright is the only one who I think would be up to the NBA level on X's and O's.

K would probably do fine managing LeBron's ego. He's used to letting his star players do whatever they want.

Gotta disagree with you on Jay Wright. His offense is the most simple offense in the country. You can run it with a middle school team (obviously it wouldn’t work at that level though). His offense is all spread ball screen and isolations. Very similar to the dribble drive motion that Callipari made famous from Vance Wahlberg. Where Wright dominates as a coach is in player development and in overall fundamentals. His guys footwork on drives, passing, shooting and finishing is second to none.

Beilien actually runs the most intricate or cutting edge offensive stuff in college.

Gotta disagree with you on Jay Wright. His offense is the most simple offense in the country. You can run it with a middle school team (obviously it wouldn’t work at that level though). His offense is all spread ball screen and isolations. Very similar to the dribble drive motion that Callipari made famous from Vance Wahlberg. Where Wright dominates as a coach is in player development and in overall fundamentals. His guys footwork on drives, passing, shooting and finishing is second to none.

Beilien actually runs the most intricate or cutting edge offensive stuff in college.

Jay Wright's offense works they have incredible player development which fits their system. Their offense is pretty straight forward, but it wouldn't be possible without out their skill development which fits into every single they do offensively. No one has the footwork in the nation that Villanova does, and their IQ's are generally very high which is related to continuity and high level coaching.

His offense is simple in its design, but you still have to make the right reads, which stems from high IQ but also their footwork which allows them to make every read. Running that offense effectively in high school or middle school is pretty difficult due to it relying on IQ and skill development which probably isn't there yet.

Jay Wright definitely could coach in the NBA.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back