Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Matt Jones

He's gonna be an absolutely great 4 year player. I expect him to be an elite defender and 14-17 ppg scorer as an upperclassman.

yeah he is going to be real good. i think once he puts on some more muscle mass he will really take off as a consistently good player.

best4heisman said:
He's gonna be an absolutely great 4 year player. I expect him to be an elite defender and 14-17 ppg scorer as an upperclassman.

I haven't seen enough of him yet to think he's going to become an elite defender, but I agree that he's a perfect 4 year fit for this program. I really like the idea of having Jones and Grayson Allen in the backcourt as upperclassman.

If Jones can handle the ball as effectively as reported, that would be a huge future asset having 2 off guards that may bring the ball upcourt or create off the bounce.

best4heisman said:

In all the fuss about Jabari, and going after guys like Okafor and T. Jones, the job we've done bringing in program guys over the past couple of years has been underappreciated.

I view Matt Jones, Jefferson, and Ojeleye as terrific likely 4-year players. I count Marshall Plumlee, too, with that group. All four are super high-character guys. Bought into the Duke system. Talented. High work ethic. Solid size for their positions, too. And three of the four are frontcourt players, which is great. I'm still curious to see about what Murphy does, but there's certainly potential there, too.

So Jones played pretty well in the ex game today? Good to hear. I have not found a box score yet...how did he get his points (drives or perimeter)?

Expecting him to start if true. Hood = very rich man's 3 and D guy. Jones = average man's 3 and D guy. Sulaimon = excess.

Last edited by a moderator:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

Expecting him to start if true. Hood = very rich man's 3 and D guy. Jones = average man's 3 and D guy. Sulaimon = excess.

That's what I saw on Saturday. Matt just moves his feet a whole damn lot, and doesn't lift them very high. Watching him play defense for a possession makes my calves hurt.

That said, Sheed has a lot of defensive potential, is tenacious, and often takes good risks to pick his man's pocket. It's great to have both. With the playmakers we have at the forwards, it's easy to imagine Matt/Sheed occasionally getting to play together against teams with bigger point guards.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

Another win for the DreDawkins hater club.

I like the idea of Sheed in the Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, Vinnie Johnson role. Don't need all the skills he brings with the other offensively gifted starters. Need them with Thornton, Hairston, Plumlee, Ojeleye, Zaf. K foreshadowed this with his Blue/White lineups. Lineup construction seems to be better off with Sulaimon carrying the offense off the bench, and Jones joining the starters as a rich man's Thornton.

Planted stories to light a fire under Sheed's ass, or Jones is going to be more crucial to the team's success than anticipated. Interesting.

Rollins said:
His shooting stroke is weird and has a low release point.
Like I said in the game thread last night, Matt Jones is exactly the opposite of what I was expecting to see. I thought he was a one-trick shooter, hopefully a much better version of Andre Dawkins. Instead, he can't shoot a lick - like, he's actually bad at it - but he's actually a decent ball-handler and defender.

I mean, not only did Stauskas not hit a field goal, he only took 2 shots. Jones/Thornton.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Complete psychological breakdown inevitably coming.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back