Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

rome8180 said:
Good write-up by someone who sat in on a practice. Apparently Matt Jones started with the white team (and even hit some threes), though Quinn Cook eventually took over.

Sounds like Rasheed's job might be leading the second unit. I don't necessarily disapprove.

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-basketba ... tes-101714

Also interesting that when Grayson switched to the white team, he switched with Justise, not Matt. So for 1/3 of the practice, the lineup was:

T.JONES -- ALLEN -- M. JONES -- JEFFERSON -- OKAFOR

These are decent scouting videos on the big 3 freshmen. DraftExpress considers them the #1 (Okafor), #2 (Winslow) and #4 (Jones) pro prospects in the ACC. Montrezl Harrell is #3. There has to be a better name we can use for Okafor/Winslow/Jones other than "big 3 freshmen" or "non-Grayson Allen freshmen."

Okafor

Winslow

Jones' video has been posted on DraftExpress and should be on YouTube soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like Matt Jones has found his shot. If that's true, he's going to play a lot at SF and we won't need to rely on the miracle happening of Winslow becoming a good shooter. Matt Jones being a great 3pt shooter would solve a lot of lineup construction issues (I think Okafor/Jefferson/Winslow is really awkward, both offensively and defensively). I assume we'll see something like this in close games:

PG Tyus Jones (28) / Cook (12)
SG Cook (16) / Sulaimon (24)
SF Winslow (12) / Matt Jones (24) / Sulaimon (4)
PF Jefferson (24) / Winslow (16)
C Okafor (28) / Jefferson (4) / Plumlee (8)

Breakdown is 28 minutes for each of Tyus Jones, Cook, Sulaimon, Winslow, Jefferson, Okafor, 24 minutes for Matt Jones, 8 minutes for Plumlee. Sulaimon will probably emerge as the best overall guard and get the Manu treatment by coming off the bench but leading the team in minutes, taking away a few minutes from Matt Jones or Cook. Typical 8-man rotation.

Or K might play all 10 guys and run run run.

Ridiculous that Winslow shot nearly as high a percentage from three as he did from the FT-line during international play.

How is it K looks five years younger in this photo then he did at the end of last season?

Does winning cause him to reverse age, while lots of losing ages him even faster?

2010 must have rejuvenated him ten years. 2012 aged him five, but the olympics offset it. 2013 rejuvenated a couple, while 2014 and the shittacular collapses damn near killed him, with the FIBA win that summer undoing most of the damage. And of course merely being in the presence of battier gives your skin a healthy warm glow.

Can someone find if it was Quinn or Rasheed he was directly staring in the eyes as he said this?

Dammit he would be the best coach in college basketball immediately if he decides to coach. Painful to think about how easily he would talk recruits into Duke and how much he would rely on science and math to make informed decisions on game day. Instead, he's pursuing a Jalen Rose career.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
These are decent scouting videos on the big 3 freshmen. DraftExpress considers them the #1 (Okafor), #2 (Winslow) and #4 (Jones) pro prospects in the ACC. Montrezl Harrell is #3. There has to be a better name we can use for Okafor/Winslow/Jones other than "big 3 freshmen" or "non-Grayson Allen freshmen."

WOJ

1. Continuity with dearly-missed former coach.
2. Let us never forget the guy who wrote the K hit piece at Cal's request.

As an insider, I can tell you that he was addressing Semi.

DurhamSon said:

Can someone find if it was Quinn or Rasheed he was directly staring in the eyes as he said this?

Looks like Matt Jones is currently penciled in as a starter. Doesn't mean he'll get the most minutes at SG, but damn, this is encouraging. A true 3 and D to go with Winslow's Dunk and D and Jefferson's Crafty Layups and D. Tyus gives us a fool proof elite offense and Okafor is large.

The starter I'm least excited about is the preseason NPOY.

Yeah, I really like that lineup if M. Jones can shoot.

I also like the second unit it gives us. On any given night, Sulaimon and Cook might be good for 30 points off the bench.

Pantone287 said:
Amile benching more than Okafor?

Grayson Allen is a greek god. That kid is going to be swimming in it.

I've learned, via twitter, that he has a girlfriend back home. She's banging but he's about to have massive orgies so what's the point in having a gf?

SI ACC preview:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... louisville

These are good, respected bball writers. Am I the only one that thinks UNC should be favored to at least win more games than Duke after looking at the schedule? I mean, I think Duke has the higher ceiling. But despite how much smoke is blown up our asses about how good the freshmen look, it's gonna be the same bullshit when this team hits the road in a reasonably close game, right? Maybe not to the degree of last year, but they will shit the bed away from Cameron enough that expecting 15-3 seems like setting yourself up for failure.

I will wait until Ken Pomeroy releases his predictions before slavishly submitting myself to the predictions and infinite wisdom of another and stop thinking for myself

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom