Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion thread

Never mind, that's just a chart of his scoring plays. So he's likelier to make a free throw when Cook gets him the ball.

Ah, just scoring plays. Pays to read the whole chart.

So this happened at some point a few years ago.

A sample:

"Nolan keeps penetratin' baby
Seth got a jumpshot, driving y'all crazy
Yeah, and so does Dawkins
Matter of fact Kyle keeps hitting them often
Our whole team's guilty of awesome"

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this could go in the alumni thread?

I now want to write and record a hardcore-analytics-based rap that critiques individual players and the team on things like free throw rate.

Unfortunately, that probably is the hottest Duke basketball rap ever.

I noticed it was about the 2011 team. Should have been some lines like:

"Kyrie played 11 games, still going pro
Would have won the ship if it weren't for that toe
Came back too fat to defend the pick and roll
Scored 28 but messed up Nolan's flow"

Apparently it wasn't a set play. Justise and Jabari made that happen on their own.

(And yes, I think Jahlil is a better teammate than Jabari.)

No way Jabari pulls off that pass on a play that demonstrates that type of anticipation and court awareness.

Yeah, Bilas is annoying for turning everything into a debate over athlete rights, but this is a good article for this board.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/12/14/ ... efine.html

That’s where analytics – discovering and evaluating patterns in data – has helped Duke’s 2014-15 squad define and accept what constitutes a good shot, both in absolute terms and in making the best use of Okafor’s skills and talents. “I think coaches for years have always tried to coach good and bad shots by their players. And one of the more simple things is the catch-and-shoot three versus a 3-pointer off the dribble,” Cullen explains.

The Blue Devils made 42 percent of their catch-and-shoot 3-pointers (51-121) in their first seven games, all wins. Given that only 42 long-distance tries were created off the dribble – with 28 percent accuracy – it appears the lesson sank in. “You try to look at where you can be your best,” Cullen says. “That’s one area that we’ve made a conscious effort to improve.”

Statistics acquired through SportVU can be tailored to a team’s needs. In its second year of use at Duke, the staff is still exploring the possibilities. “We’re getting more of an understanding of what we’re seeing,” says Cullen, a former team manager who graduated from Duke with a degree in computer science in 2007. “I think we understand better what they’re presenting and how to use it.”

Duke is one of the few university programs employing SportVU (along with ACC member Louisville), and might be the only team, college or pro, whose practice floor as well as home arena are equipped with the system. The idea is to get as much useful data as possible.

Through Dec. 11, Duke had played eight games, all except one in a building where SportVU is available. Meanwhile, the Devils had 42 practices; including those greatly expanded the universe of data. That enlarged trove of information is then subject to analysis that generates data in a range of unfamiliar but useful categories – touches per game, rebound chances (calculated when a player is within 3.5 feet of the ball), secondary assists (passes leading to a basket, as in hockey), potential assists (resulting in free throws).

Too many turnovers (17) vs. Elon. I understand the rust factor, but that needs to be tightened up.

I guess all is forgotten with Sheed once the game ends

I don't know why anyone would be mad at him at all. I wish Sheed had punched that Luke Eddy piece of shit in the face.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom