Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

I think everyone needs to enjoy this team as much as possible because Duke is going to be a 'down' year in that we won't be able to compete for a title. I refuse to believe that with just Mark Williams on the interior we can make the Final Four. Even if you think Johnson/Coleman at the 4 is solid, I just don't think Williams is a standout. He'll be solid, but he's not Carey or Carter Jr and there is no one to back him up.

It's a huge concern. We need to land that Bediako kid and have him reclassify to at least give us a back-up center.

I'm not sure one position alone is enough to sink our Final Four hopes. We're going to be really deep at the wing with big, strong dudes. Having 6-7 plus defenders should make us very good on defense, and then K almost always manages to field a top 10 offense.

And I still think there's the possibility of Kumming early.

Agree 100%. I think we’re in that 5-7 range right now; as pleasantly constructed. Add Kum and I think we’re hands down #1. With Kum, there’s enough scoring and shooting that the 5 spot will only be needed for rebounding/defense.

eta that I feel that way as long as we have Kum or Hurt on the roster. I obviously prefer Kum as he’s a superstar. Surrounding the two stars we have(who are better shooters than RJ) with all the shooters we’ll have will easily be a top 5 offense for K. Not sure how good a Roach/Steward backcourt will be but I haven’t heard of either one of those guys being a poor defender. Kum/Johnson should be a pretty nasty wing pairing.

Last edited:
I always thought the expectation was two years? Hands down #1 if he stays but I’ve seen him crack the top 25 in a couple of mock drafts recently.

I was thinking that yesterday. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Goldwire start over Roach.

Goldwire has averaged 28 minutes over the past 7 games, so it seems likely he will be getting decent playing time next season as a senior captain.

Given the past several seasons, though, I wouldn’t blame anyone for forgetting the possibility of a really good senior/junior backcourt exists and penciling freshmen into the rotation out of habit.

Last edited:
I agree but I def don’t see AOC starting. If Tre leaves I lean towards a Gold/Steward starting backcourt and Id be ok with that. He really needs to work on his outside shot this summer though. Our 5 man won’t provide much scoring so I’d hate to have 2 non scoring players on the court. Landing Kum would alleviate a lot of that with a high scoring 2/3/4.

Isn't Coleman like 6'8 240? Why exactly can't he spend time as a CBB 5 in 2021, especially if he were playing alongside Kum and Johnson in an extended defensive scheme?

I think, assuming no Kum, Duke needs to keep two of the five underclassmen that have real pro aspirations to be a legit title contender. Latest mock draft from Givony has Carey around 20, Jones in the mid 20s, and that's it. The Athletic is similar except on Jones and Carey, but it has Hurt at 25.

I assume Carey is gone. I think if Jones is a late first rounder, also gone (and he might just go even if not). I don't think Stanley is coming back for his age 21 season.

I know Moore wants to be OAD, but I think he's going to be forced to come back. And I think he's poised to make a big leap as a soph. So to me, it's all gonna come down to Hurt's decision.

I think a "Big 3" of Hurt, Johnson and Moore, with guys like Baker and Roach being next in the offensive pecking order, is top-5 quality as long as (1) we get enough defense/rebounding from guys like Williams and Coleman and (2) Roach is a capable distributor. With just Johnson and Moore? Don't like that team all that much as I think the shooting could really suck.

BTW if Bacot stays for his soph year, with the way Brooks has been playing I don't know how Kessler gets more than 15mpg at UNC, especially as they also have another 5 star big coming in. It's gonna be real crowded. Probably not a great decision for Kessler if he's looking to get to the NBA quickly.

Isn't Coleman like 6'8 240? Why exactly can't he spend time as a CBB 5 in 2021, especially if he were playing alongside Kum and Johnson in an extended defensive scheme?
Yeah I see Williams and Coleman both splitting all of their time at the 5 next year with Brakefield and Johnson playing emergency time there.

BTW if Bacot stays for his soph year, with the way Brooks has been playing I don't know how Kessler gets more than 15mpg at UNC, especially as they also have another 5 star big coming in. It's gonna be real crowded. Probably not a great decision for Kessler if he's looking to get to the NBA quickly.

He's not. One of the reasons he said he chose UNC was because Roy and Co. sold him on being the next Luke fucking Maye. So he doesn't give a shit about playing in the league, clearly.

Next year is interesting to think about, for sure. Let's assume no Kuminga, which seems most likely at this point, and we lose Stanley, Jones, and Carey. Hurt and Moore come back, maybe ambitious re: Hurt, but let's roll with it. Call me crazy, but a Roach/Goldwire, Steward, Moore, Johnson, and Hurt lineup looks really solid to me. Ideally Moore improves enough as a shooter between now and then and gives us enough shooting to spread things out. Obviously rebounding and physicality looks like a concern.

Hurt at the 5 for anything more than a late game make your FTs lineup would be a disaster on the defensive boards unless the rest of the small lineup rebounds like Winslow for their positions. Hurt’s DReb% is < 10 which is horrible for anyone playing the 4 or 5. It’s the lowest on the team except for Goldwire and Baker (this dude doesn’t rebound at all).

Hurt at the 5 for anything more than a late game make your FTs lineup would be a disaster on the defensive boards unless the rest of the small lineup rebounds like Winslow for their positions. Hurt’s DReb% is < 10 which is horrible for anyone playing the 4 or 5. It’s the lowest on the team except for Goldwire and Baker (this dude doesn’t rebound at all).
Agree. It Hurt comes back we’ll need to go big and have Johnson at the 3.

Yeah we'll see what Coleman's exact height is, but even if he's 6'7" he's built like Tyler Hansbrough (and oddly kind of runs and shoots like him too). I think he'll play only as an inside guy. Questions for him will be how does he score in college other than putbacks. He was a small forward earlier in HS, but I'm not sure his ball-handling or shooting translate well to college.

@rome8180 -- thanks for the game notes. Question on Brakefield -- you compared him mainly to our wings; do you think he's less suited to play inside than guys like LT or Amile were?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back