Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jayson Tatum

Wait...who won it? Luke?

Tatum was god-level tonight. Looked like the kind of guy who can singlehandedly win you a title.

Yeah. Luke won. In the post game, K said he thinks even Luke would agree that he should share it.

I'm really starting to wonder if the players only meeting after State really made him take a hard look in the mirror. His usage started creeping down after that. He started off first halves slow getting into the groove with his teammates and passing before coming alive in second halves. Thereby generating trust and chemistry to reach the point he's been playing at now.

Any way to get ORTG splits? It was at 111 overall last I checked, but I feel like it's been better than that if we were just to look at the last month or so.

That jives. I feel like usage was even lower for the first few games after State and has steadily crept up since

rome8180 said:
Any way to get ORTG splits? It was at 111 overall last I checked, but I feel like it's been better than that if we were just to look at the last month or so.

The last 4 reg season games were pretty bad.

This tournament was an enormous leap for him. Essentially averaged 120+ rating on 22-29% usage per night. Hopefully it carries forward to the big tourney because those are numbers with what he has around him to absolutely carry you to a title.

Of all the highlight clips to retweet

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming we don't lose early (a big assumption), his matchup with Semi will be the ultimate verdict on K's philosophy of OAD PT and usage vs. developing 3-4 yr "program" players.

I saw some unbelievable breaking news earlier today, that Tatum has declared for the draft. That some shocking shit right there.

Sample passage:

"Besides, the idea that he “lives in the midrange” overstates the frequency with which he shoots there. Markelle Fultz (9.0), De’Aaron Fox (6.1), Malik Monk (6.0), Luke Kennard (5.9), and Josh Jackson (5.8) all attempted more midrange FG’s per 40 minutes than Tatum (5.3) did this year. Brandon Ingram and D’Angelo Russell, both #2 picks in the last two drafts, also attempted more midrange shots per 40 minutes. All of these players except for Monk were more frequent attempting these shots as a percentage of their overall FGAs (e.g. controlling for usage) than Tatum did, as well.

Tatum was also impressive at generating field goal attempts at the rim. According to Hoop-Math, he created 3.7 unassisted attempts per 40 minutes, and 2.4 halfcourt attempts per 40 minutes. Both place him above the 75th percentile. This is a side of his game that is often ignored in favor of focusing on his midrange attempts— he can get to the rim frequently, and that is one of the most useful skills in the NBA."

It's always fun to watch outsiders develop an understanding of Duke players in real time, things we've known about the players for months because we watched every game they played. The part about FT% often being a better indicator of NBA 3pt accuracy than 3PT% was also good.

There are tons of brilliant bloggers and people who write about NBA teams for low-profile places like Fansided. Meanwhile, college basketball analysis continues to lag horribly behind.

I have seen 2 comments today about tatum freezing out kennard when at duke - I dont remember hearing/seeing anything of the sort at the time - any truth to it?

Tatum was widely thought of us as a "selfish" player around the time of our home loss to State. I can see someone having made a statement about him freezing out Kennard at that point. People came around on him as he started to play better.

There was also some Twitter beef from the Tatim camp about Kennard not playing defense. Which was 100% accurate.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom