Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UNC Basketball 2016-17

rome8180

Legend
We had one of these threads last year, so I figured I'd start one for this season.

With that in mind, I watched Late Night with Roy so you don't have to. Don't worry. I didn't watch the skits. I restricted myself to just the scrimmage. Here are my observations in case anyone's interested. I tried to be as objective as possible:

Nate Britt – Stroke seems a little weird, but accuracy much improved
Joel Berry – Looks great, jumper is money. Best shooter they’ve had since 2009?
Tony Bradley – He’ll be good. One of the classic floor-running UNC bigs. Clearly the best of the freshmen. Reminds me of Zeller
Seventh Woods – Horrible shooter. Really just bad at everything
Isaiah Hicks – Post skills still limited but a very sweet left elbow jumper
Kennedy Meeks – Much slimmer, but otherwise looks like the same player
Theo Pinson – Nice decision making, very little offense. Hit a couple threes
Brandon Robinson – Some good, some bad. He looks to be better than his ranking, but I think it will take him several years to be an impact guy. Very, very skinny.
Justin Jackson – Same player as last year. His entire game is putbacks and baseline drives. Did hit a key three late

General thoughts: Overall, the offense looked sharp, defense less so. They look like a top 10 team to me. Their shooting in particular I think will be better than last year. I also appreciated that, like Duke, their scrimmage resembles a real game. Sean May did a good job as a commentator. If he doesn’t stick with his current job – director of player development – he could have a future as an analyst.

If I had to rank the players based on what I saw: Berry, Hicks, Jackson, Britt, Meeks. UNC should play these five in their starting lineup with Pinson and Bradley off the bench. They shouldn't play anyone else. We all know that won't happen.

Sounds like a bunch of 4-year players to me. This draft will be deep with super-elite point guard prospects, which may push Berry to return for an NPOY-level senior season. Off the top of my head, Fultz, D. Smith, G. Allen, F. Jackson, Fox and Monk should all go ahead of Berry as potential PGs in the NBA. That's not counting any internationals.

On another note, how is Hicks a senior? I feel like I've barely seen him play.

Also, Justin Jackson is like Rodney Hood without a three-point shot and with less athleticism.

I think that's an optimistic evaluation of the freshmen. I can't remember the last time Roy had anything more than a 5-6ppg mediocre defender 1st year starter

To be clear, I'm not saying Bradley will be all that impactful. Just that he should be the 7th guy in the rotation and that eventually he might be a Zeller. But a freshman Zeller is about all I expect from him this year, not Zeller as an upperclassman.

Robinson may be a decent player as a junior and senior. Woods will never be good unless something in his skill set dramatically changes. He's on Dexter Strickland path. Tokoto-level seems optimistic.

deepdarkblue said:
Thanks for taking one for the team, rome.

I'm sad that they didn't look terrible.

It's tough to evaluate when you're seeing the exact same antiquated offense and defense face off against each other. I may be overvaluing them because they weren't taken out of their comfort zone.

That said, I don't think they'll be terrible or even bad. Our best hope is that guys like Luke Maye, Brandon Robinson, and Seventh Woods play more than they should. Given Roy Williams' tendencies this is highly possible. Where Roy lucked out this year is that his five best guys are players who work together as a starting lineup and are exactly the sort of starting lineup he should play. We're not going to see a Larry Drew over Kendell Marshall situation.

Will now have to return for an additional year. (Will return in time this season to have career game against Duke)

Last edited by a moderator:
So Duke is going to be the team that wastes blue chips and UNC is going to be the team to have its hopes scuttled by a foot injury this year. Interesting twist.

I honestly couldn't tell you what he even looks like he's made so little impact

Minimally it hurts their depth. Berry/Britt/Jackson/Hicks/Meeks is fine. But their bench is Bradley, Woods, Robinson. Three freshmen. Only one good. Am I forgetting someone decent?

ETA: The great Luke Maye. Of those four, only Bradley and Maye should play. But Britt and Berry can't play 40 minutes, even if Roy was inclined toward that.

UNC will be better prepared because of their true road game @ Tulane tonight. Why are they going there?

BTW, Mike Dunleavy is their coach.

Small sample size disclaimer, etc, but UNC only has 11 blocks as a team through five games against mostly overmatched scrubs, and is in the bottom 15% nationally in block% (they were top 60 last year). Missing BJ out there...

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom