Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Tyler Thornton

If he is starting, our ceiling is lower than I would like.

It'd probably be preferable if Cook started from ceiling perspective, but I won't rule out the possibility that Thornton improved significantly this offseason either.

I really hope defense is something Cook found in the off season.

For what my perspective is worth, I would think Thorton is the best PG option for Duke. Dude plays HARD on D, hits clutch shots on offense, has lots of experience, and is solid on offense. Cook could still get minutes as the backup and thus you'll get to see if he's developing his D, but Thorton just seemed to do all the important things right for you all last season...including that dern 3 he hit @UNC towards the end of the game... :x

This is a general comment based on watching K coached Duke teams for the last 30 years, but I hope K doesn't rattle TT or QC's cage this season. It would be great if they both played to their strengths while helping shore up one another's weaknesses. Unfortunately, I've seen K get in a kid's head a few times over the years, and it's often the PG spot that gets "examined" very thoroughly by K.

I will say this, whatever happens, QC and TT will have to be very mentally tough, and really embrace the team concept in order for Duke to get over the hump this year.

I'm enjoying imagining him whispering sweet nothings into the opponent's ear at a dead ball and then giving him his wry half smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thought that TT had that Daniel Ewing-like toughness element. TT is the man

Tyler Thornton the angel:

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2013/01/tys-new-friends/

The boys loved every minute and only stopped smiling and laughing long enough to catch their breath…Tyler included. As we finished the visit and packed up to leave, the young boy who wouldn’t look Tyler in the eyes when he first met him looked him squarely in the face and asked him “if he was dreaming”. The sincerity of this question stopped Tyler for a second. It was here I think that Tyler really understood just how meaningful and special this day was for these boys. He was building their trust. Tyler looked very seriously at this boy and said, “You aren’t dreamin’, this happened because you earned it. Here, let’s take a picture so both of us can put it in our rooms to remember that this really happened.” This was a powerful moment for Tyler (and me).

I wish I could hear what he keeps saying because like clockwork every game he induces at least one technical against the opposing team. I mean they just get so angry they hit him.

I'm still loling at the idea of his whispering sweet (insulting) nothings into the opponent's ear.

I don't know, but I picture him doing it in a Lil' Penny voice.

I picture it being with more of a lisp than that. Sensual...but insulting.

DurhamSon said:
I wish I could hear what he keeps saying because like clockwork every game he induces at least one technical against the opposing team. I mean they just get so angry they hit him.
Man, we need to get Topher in on the video team and have Tyler mic'ed for a game. That would be epic.

Honestly, being able to draw double technicals every game is a really valuable skill for Thornton to have. If he can get 2 Ts or even just 1 T on any player of his choosing, it's probably going to be a great trade for Duke, despite the sick INTANGIBLES Thornton brings to every game. It's also a perfect thing for a guy named "TT" to be known for. Get into a fist fight with Trey Burke, with Thornton and Burke both getting ejected, and Duke would have at least a slim chance of beating Michigan.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back