Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

Marques still fouling everything.
Duval shooting terrible shots.
Don't even know who half the people are.

Marques actually had a really nice spin on Carter Jr in the low block and he finished the reverse lay-up. I wasn't sure if he was capable of that.

Are you allowed to do a foreign trip every year? It's such a great opportunity for every single team. You get 10 practices before the trip, some live games to see different things and to build good team chemistry.

Slap the Floor said:
Are you allowed to do a foreign trip every year? It's such a great opportunity for every single team. You get 10 practices before the trip, some live games to see different things and to build good team chemistry.

It's every 4 years for volleyball, so I would assume the same rule applies for basketball.

Every player appears to be in great shape in all the photos I have seen this summer.

But can these kids look good in a tuxedo sitting on the bench?

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

With Sean Obi's negative influence gone, this team will have an aggregate body fat under 5%. Allen is so jacked everywhere that his head looks photoshopped. Trent looks 25 years old. As a team, they look embarrassed to be part of the same program as the 2017 team and want to erase that team from history.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have nothing to base this on but I think Trent Jr is going to be a player we all enjoy next season.

This upcoming one or next? He's always struck me as a guy who could be a really good two-year player, although Slater/Rowe think he's pretty sold on trying to go after one.

I like his enthusiasm, and he's got a good body for a freshman wing. I think he'll be an above average defender for a frosh wing, too, but I worry about his shot selection and handle.

Yeah, his shooting is streaky at best. Not sure why he has the reputation as a great shooter.

More of a shot-maker than a pure shooter. Very streaky, partially due to his poor shot-selection. Career 33.5% 3P% on over 450 attempts in DX database - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gary-Trent-82914/

Given how great Duval is in other areas, Trent will probably be the worst and most infuriating player in the rotation. Bad shooter, unconscious high volume shooter, dumb heat check guy. It's everything we don't want in a guard. Hopefully good on defense naturally, and can be taught how to reign it in and take good shots on offense. K is so good at reigning in OADs on offense and preparing them for success in the NBA, can't see anything to worry about here.

I've generally liked what I've seen from him on defense. Very physical, good lateral movement. Comparable to an athletic Matt Jones, though I doubt he has the understanding of team defense that Matt did.

Actually, given his shooting, an athletic Matt Jones may be a good overall comparison.

It remains to be seen if any of them can actually play basketball, but the whole teams looks to be in really great shape.

He also misses threes like Matt Jones, not like a shooter. He'll rise up for an on-balance three and everything will look fine, until the ball just grazes the back of rim and slams into the backboard.

Will this be our worst three-point shooting team ever? Or at least since three-point shooting really mattered?

I'll also just say that I am extremely skeptical of literally every player on this roster besides Grayson Allen and Wendell Carter. I'd add Vrank, but he won't play.

rome8180 said:
Will this be our worst three-point shooting team ever? Or at least since three-point shooting really mattered?

I'll also just say that I am extremely skeptical of literally every player on this roster besides Grayson Allen and Wendell Carter. I'd add Vrank, but he won't play.

I share your skepticism. I don't see where this year's roster is even filling the holes left from last year's departures, much less upgrading those positions. Carter replacing Amile is possibly an upgrade (remains to be seen), everyone else is a neutral or negative change in my mind.

This could all change, of course, if the roster is teachable and if we have a staff who can do that teaching. I'm not sold on that, either.

Here are good/potentially good players on the Duke roster:

Allen--Good
Vrank--Good
White--Potentially good
JMD--Potentially good
Carter--potentially good
Duval--potentially good
Trent--Potentially good

If you figure Duval as a 1, Allen as a 2, Trent as a 3 and White/Carter/JMD as 4's and Vrank as a 5, it's not terrible.

Bagley would change everything.

Seems perfectly safe. Nothing could possibly go wrong

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members