Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hypothetical team

niveklaen

All American
I am trying to come up with a team that would consist solely of players that most of our fan base hates/thinks played too much/was bad at basketball, but I can only come up with 4 guys: Paulus, TT, Matt Jones, and Josh McRoberts. I think most of the criticism of these 4 players is unwarranted and that with the right 5th player - either a 4 or a 5 - they would form a very formidable team. But I cant come up with the right 5th player.

Before they won the title in 2010, Z or Lance would have been easy/great choices - much of the fan base criticized them heavily until Gordon's last shot missed, but no one will admit to it now.

So I am looking for another guy who was actually much better than fans gave him credit for to fill out the lineup - any thoughts?

Mods - if this should be merged with another thread please move it, just did not seem to fit elsewhere.

You need a power forward. Would DeMarcus count? I'm not sure that he (or McRoberts) was crticized as much as the other three guys.

McRoberts got a ton of shit, from what I've seen. I admin on a FB Duke fan page and I still see people saying they hate him to this day. I think those people are fairly representative of the average fan. I haven't really seen anyone hate on DeMarcus.

If you want guys whom fans really hate, I submit Greg Newton. His senior year numbers of 10.4 / 6.1 on 56 / 67 shooting in 23 mpg were very solid.

I have read a shit-ton of negative posts about Marshall Plumlee on message boards. He could be a candidate for this.

childress22 said:
If you want guys whom fans really hate, I submit Greg Newton. His senior year numbers of 10.4 / 6.1 on 56 / 67 shooting in 23 mpg were very solid.

Does it count if the coach hates him also?

torontoduke said:
I have read a shit-ton of negative posts about Marshall Plumlee on message boards. He could be a candidate for this.
That would be my suggestion too. McRoberts could be moved to the 4.

Another good multi-purpose thread, to go with "I am an idiot" thread. Post any hypothetical teams and discussion of those teams here.

The fan base hated Wojo and Bobby Hurley. The fan base also hated Jay Bilas.

rhfarmer said:
The fan base hated Wojo and Bobby Hurley. The fan base also hated Jay Bilas.

I do not recall ever seeing any Hurley hate. ...unless you consider younger fans saying that JWill/Irving are better than him counts as hate.

DukeNukem05 said:
put Wojo at the 5.

and sub Rivers for McRoberts and you would end up with an all guard lineup of players disliked by duke fans.

How good would a team of Paulus, TT, Rivers, Matt, McRoberts, Newton, and Marshall be? Would this group of underappreciated players be better than any of the actual teams that played for Duke?

I think that this team would be better than the 2007 team that Paulus and McRoberts are maligned for, but I don't see it being better than any other recent teams except maybe 08.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to say a team would be better than 2007 Duke but not better than any recent teams. 2007 Duke was better than 2012 and 2016, and not far off 2009, 2014 and 2017, in terms of Kenpom's adjusted efficiency margin. A testament to how terrible K's defensive coaching has been recently, and how surprising this would be to the average Duke fan.

To be honest, I'm not sure that team beats 2007 either. I guess it might depends on whether you're taking freshman TT or senior TT, etc. But McRoberts's and Paulus's teammates on that 07 team included a junior DeMarcus and freshmen Scheyer, Henderson, LT, and Zoubs, plus McClure, who's as much of a glue guy as member of Team Castoff.

Also, it's weird that we have no transfers on this list. But those guys are either too nice to hate (Jamal), disproportionately liked by fans due to perceived poor roster management by staff (Elliot, Gbinije), or just hateable and really bad at basketball (Taylor King).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back