Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

Where did you get that Duke beanie? I like it and need to to get one for my boy.

Also, for you and Farmer, did you both do baby classes? What is your feedback on them if you did? We didn't. Our friends that have recently had babies said it didn't really benefit them. We would have except the ones offered by our OBGYN were on dates that we couldn't make it.

rhfarmer said:
I see you learned the "burrito swaddle method" in baby class. Pretty work.
Burrito swaddling is absolutely wonderful. Makes them so easy to hold, especially if you have twins and want to try carrying both. When the nurses saw my swaddles, they were highly complimentary. I told them I had a good instructor (took the birthing/parenting class at the same hospital).

Thain, if you're a first-time parent, it can't hurt. More than likely, you'll just get reassurance about stuff you might have already known (schedules, feeding/burping technique, basic first aid, etc.), but that's helpful too. If you take the class, you have to put on the baby bump thing they make the dads try and post a picture. :D

Thain said:
Where did you get that Duke beanie? I like it and need to to get one for my boy.

Also, for you and Farmer, did you both do baby classes? What is your feedback on them if you did? We didn't. Our friends that have recently had babies said it didn't really benefit them. We would have except the ones offered by our OBGYN were on dates that we couldn't make it.

They're awful. The Duke one, they rammed into your head that the woman needs something to focus on. They showed a 1970s video of a woman who would stare at a framed picture of her cat to focus. NOD would have liked it. She had a 70s bush.

Thain, we did an abbreviated version of our hospital's class. It was only a couple hours and basically went over what all to expect from the second you walk in the door of the hospital. They offered a more in-depth class, but it was from 8am to 430pm on a Sat. So I told my she could attend that one alone if she wanted to. ;-) My wife and I both got so much stinkin unsolicited advice from friends and coworkers that I felt like nothing could surprise me.

I don't remember exactly where I got the beanie (comes with booties, too). I'll check and get back with ya.

I'm glad I went, but it kind of reminded me of those health class videos we had to watch in High School. Very dated.

See I feel the same way. We have gotten so much advice from family and friends. Plus I just learned how to burrito swaddle in a 3 minute youtube video just now. I figure as long as I stay north of the border and support her we will be good. Thanks for checking on the beanie.

By the way, physics (and all other dads-to-be), if you email the Duke SID, they'll send you an autographed Coach K pic with your kid's name on it, if you'd like to frame something like that in the baby's room. I did that on a whim when we were expecting our first, got an email asking for the name, and it was at my house within days, with a Duke rattle and brush. Probably someone else who did the signing, but it matches the one in his book that I got when he was doing a book signing.

Wow, dkst, that's awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I'm definitely going to do that.

Thain, we got the beanie and booties off amazon, but it looks like they are currently unavailable. Just keep checking every few days. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IN7B2AY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Duck Shop has some cute stuff, too. And I guess it's helping to shop local if you live in Durham. I don't remember if you do or not.

http://www.theduckshop.net/duke_infant_headwear.aspx

I told myself I wasn't going to south of the border, but when the nurse said, "he's got hair!" I couldn't help but look. All I saw was a bloody mess, and I seriously almost passed out. I didn't look back in that direction until right after the baby came out.

physicsfactor said:
Wow, dkst, that's awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I'm definitely going to do that.
Go for it. Still the same person in the office that I contacted: Laura Ann Howard @ lahoward@duaa.duke.edu

I got the idea from a friend who wrote to every MLB team for stuff for his son's nursery before he was born. Turns out he got buckets of free stuff from most of the teams. I just narrowed down my requests to my favorite teams. Got the stuff from Duke, an autographed picture from my all-time favorite player at Manchester United who was managing a different club at the time, a couple of things from the Panthers, and a couple of pieces of USC stuff (wonder what the eBay market is for an autographed Pete Carroll USC schedule from then :lol: ).

I told myself I wasn't going to south of the border, but when the nurse said, "he's got hair!" I couldn't help but look. All I saw was a bloody mess, and I seriously almost passed out. I didn't look back in that direction until right after the baby came out.
Since we went c-section the first time, that's what we did for the rest of our deliveries. Didn't look over the first time, since it was an emergency procedure and things were hairy for a while, but with the 2nd one, things were much more relaxed and I actually kept looking over to give my wife the play-by-play. It was kinda freaky when the second twin came out and wasn't crying or anything. Those were the longest few seconds of my life before he started wailing, and my wife kept asking "What's wrong?"

With the fourth kid, it was even more relaxed and we were talking and joking throughout. What really blew my mind was seeing the cauterizing thing at work. I blurted out "It cuts and cauterizes? Holy crap, it's a lightsaber!" :lol:

Glad your hospital stay was short and smooth. When the twins were delivered, one was in the regular nursery (1st floor), one was in the NICU (2nd floor) because he was undersized, and my wife was on a different floor (3rd floor) because they gave her some sort of treatment for something I don't even remember now. All day long, up and down I went to check on everyone. And to think I almost left for the hospital that day in sandals. Thank God I didn't. Leaving one kid behind in the NICU for a few days was the toughest. Glad you didn't have to do that either. We knew he was in great hands, but still.........

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom