Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

bdotling said:
only SM will understand this, but they are bringing couples from Are You the One onto the Challenge. I am excited for it.

I think you've gone to a weird place with your TV watching. I have never heard of Are You the One.

I looked it up and that sounds like desperation. The crossover audience can't be large enough for this to interest people in The Challenge, but they probably couldn't get enough couples for this Battle of the Exes season. The interesting couples are getting so old.

I like Baltimore, and it's a great city for a show like this. I love all of the messages in the graffiti. Interestingly, because I fell in love with Idris Elba in Luther, it's crazy to see him in his role in The Wire.

I imagine the vast majority of Elba fans have had the opposite experience.

You should also check out Sometimes in April -- the made-for-HBO movie about the Rwandan genocide. Elba plays the lead. It's a bit heavy-handed at times, but it's really effective at conveying the full horror of the genocide there. Much better than Hotel Rwanda, which gives the uplifting Spielberg treatment to it.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
bdotling said:
only SM will understand this, but they are bringing couples from Are You the One onto the Challenge. I am excited for it.

I think you've gone to a weird place with your TV watching. I have never heard of Are You the One.

I looked it up and that sounds like desperation. The crossover audience can't be large enough for this to interest people in The Challenge, but they probably couldn't get enough couples for this Battle of the Exes season. The interesting couples are getting so old.
Oh it's gotten weird alright. The show is terribly awesome because the couples are too dumb to try to reason out who their matches are and it all led to tons of drama. I, on the other hand made a spreadsheet, and solved it 4 episodes earlier than they did. Did I feel weird about making a spreadsheet? Absolutely.

The Challenge needs from fresh blood though, the two couples they are bringing on the Challenge should provide a lot of entertainment.

rhfarmer said:
I like Baltimore, and it's a great city for a show like this. I love all of the messages in the graffiti. Interestingly, because I fell in love with Idris Elba in Luther, it's crazy to see him in his role in The Wire.
Elba does a great with his accent in The Wire except for when he yells/curses. Listen to him get upset and say "fuckin". You can hear the British accent creep back in when he tries to portray anger.

He's still better at it than Dominic West (McNulty), though West got better as the show went on.

rome8180 said:
He's still better at it than Dominic West (McNulty), though West got better as the show went on.

Fortunately for West, there are lots of white people along the Eastern Shore and in New England who have real accents that sound like his fake one. OTOH, it's good that Elba is better at coming up with a reasonable American black accent, since it's really hard to find any black people around Baltimore who talk like characters from RocknRolla or Snatch.

I just looked at Elba's IMDb page and, good God has that man been busy. Six movies in post production, one in pre-production.

the Mandela movie was okay.

all of the actors nominated deserved it more than he did. i'm not saying he wasn't good, but MM in Dallas Buyers Club, DiCaprio in TWOWS, Phoenix in Her, Bruce Dern in Nebraska, and the guy from 12 Years a Slave all did a great job.

it was a strong competition last year.

Elba isn't really picking and choosing scripts right now. he is doing everything that gets tosses his way, which is fine because it equates to more money. however, it's going to lead to some lesser films naturally.

Four of his upcoming films are filming VERY soon and he has three others in pre-production. dude is a workaholic.

Yeah, I don't think Elba really looks as scripts, he just looks at contract dollar amounts. I started believing this when I saw him in "Thor" and he has a bit of a stinker making the rounds right now, "No Good Deed". If you want to maintain your respect for him as an actor, don't watch it.

As the saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good. He's been pretty lucky overall that he's been offered some excellent roles. I love him in the good shows, I just wish he had an agent who would swat his hand when he reaches for the awful ones.

Just finished season 3 of the Wire. Pretty impressive. Definitely my favorite season so far, but I feel like rating them is a little unfair...Season 1 gets points for introducing all of the main players, points that season 2 can never get. Season 1 has a cleaner resolution, but Season 2 has a finish that is probably more accurate -- bad people at the top vanish into the ether rather than going to jail, lots of ambivalent feelings.

Season 3 finishes with a clear power shift at the top of both the criminal world and the cop world. Sets up Season 4 story line nicely.

deepdarkblue said:
Yeah, I don't think Elba really looks as scripts, he just looks at contract dollar amounts. I started believing this when I saw him in "Thor" and he has a bit of a stinker making the rounds right now, "No Good Deed". If you want to maintain your respect for him as an actor, don't watch it.

As the saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good. He's been pretty lucky overall that he's been offered some excellent roles. I love him in the good shows, I just wish he had an agent who would swat his hand when he reaches for the awful ones.
like Obsessed

thewiseben said:
No one who accepted a part in "Ghost Rider 2: The Spirit of Vengeance" can be considered "choosy" when it comes to scripts.

"It's just bidness"

deepdarkblue said:

absolutely. but this is what a lot of actors are doing now a days. even guys like Tom Cruise are doing it now. A lot actors while they are young do as many "action" and I guess sci-fi and fantasy stuff because they are still able to. as they get older they take on the more "drama" genre roles again because their bodies can't handle the stunts and all of that stuff that they have to do in the action films.

DiCaprio is doing a couple of "action" movies coming up as well. Blood on Snow and "Satori". Both aren't just shoot em up action films like a Liam Neeson, but these are films that can only be done at a young(er) age.

he was supposed to play the serial killer in "The Devil in the White City" which I have yet to read but is sitting on my book shelf. That movie seems to be stuck in pre-development hell though so right now it looks like it won't get made, and if it does it will take years for it to be made.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom