Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

thewiseben said:
It'll be fine. Just make sure it's truly dry before you stain it, though I'd agree with Zack that you should probably not stain pine. Everything in my house is just polyurethane'd.

I believe it's polyurethaingram.

Im going into business making polyurethane. Im using both prollyurinethain and polyurethreathain as types of thain that can be purchased. Expect dividend checks. Might not be a lot.

Unsurprisingly the comments on this article, about Duke students refusing to read a graphic novel with nudity and homosexuality, are full of Duke bashing.

I do agree that most Duke students are complete dicks, but it chafes me when non-Duke fans say it. Besides, Carolina students are the worst too.

http://www.avclub.com/article/duke-stud ... ome-224339

Those kids have no business being at Duke if they can't accept that they will be presented with ideas that don't mimic their own beliefs. It's one thing for them to choose not to read the book, but it's ridiculous for them to create a public outcry over it. I fully support Duke's position here.

Like many universities and community, Duke has had a summer reading for many years to give incoming students a shared intellectual experience with other members of the class (you can see the most recent selections at https://studentaffairs.duke.edu/new-stu ... experience).

The reading is selected by a committee of students, and staff, who then solicit feedback from other members of the Duke community. Fun Home was ultimately chosen because it is a unique and moving book that transcends genres and explores issues that students are likely to confront. It is also one of the most celebrated graphic novels of its generation, and the theatrical adaption won the Tony Award for Best Musical, and four others, in 2015. As we have every year, we were fortunate to have the author join us on campus for a lively discussion of the book during orientation week.

The summer reading is entirely voluntary — it is not a requirement, nor is there a grade or record of any student’s participation. With a class of 1,750 new students from around the world, it would be impossible to find a single book that that did not challenge someone’s way of thinking. We understand and respect that, but also hope that students will begin their time at Duke with open minds and a willingness to explore new ideas, whether they agree with them or not.

If your beliefs can be shaken merely by being exposed to alternative ideas, then maybe they were flimsy and not worth having to begin with.

The kids who aren't reading didn't create all of the fuss. They just said why they didn't want to read it.

ZackM said:
Pantone287 said:
Not much at all since I live in an apartment. My dad's got some basic stuff like drills and a hand sander, but I had to use their neighbors circular to cut the boards, for example. Nothing like a planer or a jointer.

That sounds awful. I can't imagine trying to do a legit wood working project without at least a table saw. My jointer, planer, table saw, and miter saw get used on literally every single piece I make.

Pantone has a hammer and a chisel. He's this guy

p186264_b_v7_ac.jpg

Is it just me or has Amazon decided their special purpose is to churn out ridiculous new products that no one needs, in order to sell still more of their other products? I thought the Echo was terrible, and I don't think most of the world is truly ready for drones to start bombing us with packages, but this...The Amazon Dash Button...what the fucking fuck?
I buy, say, a Tide Dash Button, and I stick it on my washing machine so that when I become perilously low on Tide, I no longer have to suffer the trauma of perhaps going to an actual store, or even logging onto somefuckingonlineretailer.com, but instead I order my detergent by simply pushing the Tide Dash Button! It's like a real, live Panic Button, but for household products! http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=10667898011&lo=digital-text

I'll be the first to admit that I'm about the biggest Amazon fanboy on the planet, but this shit just needs to stop. Amazon, please, if your spiderbots are reading this, STOP IT! NO MORE! Quit making idiotic, valueless products and just send me my normal shit in a normal-yet-speedy fashion, at reasonable prices, ok? Thanks, love you lots.

Not going to lie, I don't hate that.

That said, you should really get your first one free, at least.

Or: "Unemployed Man Wonders At What Hour Socially Acceptable to Buy Beer"

Or: "Area Man Buys Unnecessary Groceries To Disguise 10 A.M. Beer Purchase"

There were people drinking beer at the picnic table outside of Sam's at 7:30 this morning. I assume they were unemployed, so, 7:30 am.

That's the best thing about the Plus membership. Gotta have something to wash down those complimentary breakfast pastries.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back