Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Science and Technology thread

I haven't owned a printer since sophomore year of college. If I really need to print something, I'll just go to my parent's house or print it at work.

thewiseben said:
rome8180 said:
I'd probably want a bit more storage space than those have. My Macbook Air had 256 GB and that was too small. I have about 100 GB of music alone.

Which is precisely why I put a 256GB SD card in mine.

512 GB would be ideal for me.

Honestly thought this was going to be a parody of Amazon going full circle and becoming Trader Joes, a place where the consumer can physically purchase items as they need them. Instead, this concept is real and works using the same basic technology as self-driving cars which doesn't require an explanation because it's 2016 and everyone already understands how that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope there is some plan for a transition to a post-labor economy. But I know there's not.

rome8180 said:
I hope there is some plan for a transition to a post-labor economy. But I know there's not.

Are you referring to universal basic income? Even a big libertarian like myself knows something like that will probably be inevitable 30 to 50 years down the line.

Ideal solution would simply be people not having as many children, if any, however...

I see what you are saying. Technology always disrupts entire industries with painful consequences for those left behind, I'm not quite certain we are at the inflection point that leads to a post-labor economy or will be in 30-50 years. It's a weird conundrum because in the meanwhile, population growth is still a big driver of economic growth. Demographics shape way more than policies ever could. Countries with significant ageing issues because they stop having kids have stagnant to no growth. It's already happening in a lot of the developed world. Japan has been there for awhile, it's going to really hurt China as the one child policy had tremendous impact on the demographics and it's starting to occur in Europe. The number of kids per family in the US has gone down as well, we have just offset that more with immigration, which will probably start becoming more and more difficult with all the anti-globalization rhetoric these days.

With entitlement programs for a larger older population, that burden becomes too much to bear on the younger generations unless we find solutions to those issues as well

We could base everything on a 'stars' scale like that Black Mirror episode.

From a master of science:

thewiseben said:
There is going to be a need for us to come up with a post-labor answer basically the day that autos are fully autonomous. 3m truckers and lord knows how many cab drivers and hired car service drivers will be unemployed in like a month.

No doubt. And that doesn't include the number of auto workers no longer needed as the vehicle fleet rationalizes down due to higher utilization, out of work traffic cops/meter maids/parking garage attendents and auto insurance professionals. I imagine gas (charging) stations also change radically.

At this point, I'm not even sure education is a sure fire path to economic value as even higher level skills become automated. Creativity is the last bastion of human worth once physical and analytical functions are assumed by machines and silicon. And even that might not last the century. Might need to create the Matrix just to have something to do.

All of this, while millions of people in this country actually believe the president can "bring jobs back to America".

Or at least facilitate the beating of darker people in case the jobs don't come back and they get pissed. Contingency planning and whatnot.

Yeah this is beyond policy. I do think automated driving is going to take a long time to fully come through. It will have to start with defined routes similar to buses

That actually is really fucking cool. To think that some dinosaurs had feathers shouldn't be all the crazy but completely amazes me.

Didn't realize this was such a common thing. So easy to steal credit card numbers.

db603e6020eb416f9515d14846c48abb

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom