Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hobbies

I think the problem was the oil. I used extra virgin olive oil, which I have since read is the worst for not forcing entire buildings to evacuate, due to the low smoke point. I bought some high smoke point oil but probably won't try straight up meat on the cast iron again.

Stir fry vegetables out of the bag, and chicken simmering with sauces out of the jar, both went fine.

My baked salmon is pretty good at this point. That's the easiest thing to make that's healthy and tasty, IMO.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I think the problem was the oil. I used extra virgin olive oil, which I have since read is the worst for not forcing entire buildings to evacuate, due to the low smoke point. I bought some high smoke point oil but probably won't try straight up meat on the cast iron again.

Stir fry vegetables out of the bag, and chicken simmering with sauces out of the jar, both went fine.

Steak cooked in butter on a cast iron pan is the best.

deepdarkblue said:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

Steak cooked in butter on a cast iron pan is the best.

Little bit of salt. Little bit of garlic. Decent amount of butter. Money.

Pancakes and cornbread. You can't make em better than in an iron skillet.

I love my cast iron skillet. Ironically though, I just bought new generic non-stick frying pans today.

rhfarmer said:
Non sticks are most likely poisoning people.

I'm fine with that. I'll give up a few years of my life to prevent my eggs from getting fucked up.

Dealing with cooked on food creates stress and anxiety, could give you a heart attack or a stroke.

I have the cast iron frying pan that was in my parents' house when I was born. I have no idea how long my mother had it, or where it came from, or how old it is. It's so well seasoned, nothing can stick to it. I can drop a chunk of cheddar on it when it's hot and it will slide right off.

If someone wanted to buy me this, I would not mind. I miss making espresso drinks now that I don't work at a cafe. Also, I would love to be able to practice all the latte art bullshit until I got expert at it. It's dumb, but if I could do it well I could be making a lot more money than I am now.

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES920C ... 1CXBQH99NH

In reality, I will probably just save up for the $550 model, which isn't nearly as cool but seems more realistic.

rome8180 said:
If someone wanted to buy me this, I would not mind. I miss making espresso drinks now that I don't work at a cafe. Also, I would love to be able to practice all the latte art bullshit until I got expert at it. It's dumb, but if I could do it well I could be making a lot more money than I am now.

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES920C ... 1CXBQH99NH

In reality, I will probably just save up for the $550 model, which isn't nearly as cool but seems more realistic.

People make money from latte art?

Well, relatively speaking. If you work at one of those ultra-hipster-yuppie cafes, the tips are pretty damn good.

Well, relatively speaking. If you work at one of those ultra-hipster-yuppie cafes, the tips are pretty damn good.

I've been working on perfecting my french press technique on the weekends. I'm making really good coffee, but when the wife wants a latte with milk froth and syrup, I can't figure out how to pull it off. I've got a classic beaker frother and a handheld battery operated one. Got any secrets from your cafe days?

Ooo got any tips from your French Pressing? I've been using a French Press for a couple of years and I can't seem to get it quite right. Sometimes it's great, and sometimes it's pretty bleh.

Ooo got any tips from your French Pressing? I've been using a French Press for a couple of years and I can't seem to get it quite right. Sometimes it's great, and sometimes it's pretty bleh.

Most helpful thing I can say is to grind your own beans pretty finely, pour the grounds in the beaker and put enough water in just to wet them. Let that sit for like 30 seconds and then fill it up with the rest to make a full cup of coffee. Wetting the grounds lets the CO2 gases escape and allows the richness of the bean to come out in the full cup, so I've read. There shouldn't be any floating grounds if you do that. I let mine sit 4 mins before one press, then pour. I'm still trying to decide my favorite coffee for the french press because it tastes so much different than a drip.

Most helpful thing I can say is to grind your own beans pretty finely, pour the grounds in the beaker and put enough water in just to wet them. Let that sit for like 30 seconds and then fill it up with the rest to make a full cup of coffee. Wetting the grounds lets the CO2 gases escape and allows the richness of the bean to come out in the full cup, so I've read. There shouldn't be any floating grounds if you do that. I let mine sit 4 mins before one press, then pour. I'm still trying to decide my favorite coffee for the french press because it tastes so much different than a drip.

ill add that since I started wetting my grounds instead of just pouring the full amount of water in, I have made drastically better cups of coffee every time.

Steaming milk is hard to get right if you don't have good equipment.

This feels like a reverse Sausage Thread troll.

Yeah, you guys would run screaming away from my coffee.
My coffee making technique is more like, throw a handful of Kirklands Columbian ground coffee in a filter basket, add ground cardamon, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, pour boiling water in it, go do something else for 5 - 30 minutes. Pour whatever the result is into a 32 oz thermal cup, add coconut cream, ghee, cacao butter, beef gelatin. Enjoy, and no need to eat anything for the next 6-8 hours, minimum.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • General chit-chat 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back