Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hobbies

I have no sense of taste first thing in the morning. You could brew me up a pot of boiled dirty gym socks, cigarette butts and caffeine powder, I probably wouldn't notice the difference. If I want evening coffee, I just pay someone else to make that and they pour it in a nice cup for me and everything.

It's chock full of antioxidants and MCTs, and it doesn't make me vomit. That's good enough for me.

Well, relatively speaking. If you work at one of those ultra-hipster-yuppie cafes, the tips are pretty damn good.

I've been working on perfecting my french press technique on the weekends. I'm making really good coffee, but when the wife wants a latte with milk froth and syrup, I can't figure out how to pull it off. I've got a classic beaker frother and a handheld battery operated one. Got any secrets from your cafe days?
Steaming milk is hard to get right if you don't have good equipment.

this is the one I have.. I know nothing about it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z6DS86...t=&hvlocphy=9009940&hvtargid=pla-227168820001
I have never used anything like that. Coffee shop espresso machines have a steam wand built in. The principle for how that works would be closer to your battery operated one, I think, but I've never used one of those either.

In a cafe, you steam your milk in a metal pitcher. You start with the steam wand fully submerged and slowly bring it up until the tip is near the surface of the milk. When you are in the right spot you will hear a hissing sound and the milk will begin to whirlpool. Once the pitcher is hot to the touch, the milk is done. It should have about an inch of microfoam on top. Microfoam is foam with very small compact bubbles. If you have big bubbles, you raised the wand too high, which aerates the milk too much. You can break up some of these bubbles by swirling the pitcher and tapping its bottom against a hard surface. This will give you the smooth, even foam you want plus keep it from separating from the layer of milk below it. Then you pour this over espresso for a latte or coffee for a cafe ole.

Long and probably useless explanation. But since your battery powered one is essentially a wand, you may be able to use a similar technique. Be sure to only use about 2/3rds as much milk as you actually want since foaming causes it to expand.

Last edited:
@rome8180 I think we should break down the nuances for @slswofford3

For a latte, which is espresso and steamed milk, the milk should be "textured" more so than have a layer of foam on top. You introduce air (via the steaming wand) into the milk, and as it swirls in the pitcher, you try and blend the bubbles into the milk so that they are integrated into the milk. The post steaming swirling and tapping of the pitcher can help blend the foam into the milk, but if you have done it properly, you should have evenly textured milk which appears slightly thicker than regular milk. You should steam the milk to at least 120 degrees. Starbucks steams to about 160, which is why their lattes are always too hot to drink.

A cappuccino is espresso and steamed milk also, however, you introduce a lot more air into the milk. If you serve a latte and a cappuccino in the same size cup, the cappuccino will be noticeably lighter do to the introduction of more air into the milk. Again, you want to milk to have a similar texture from the top of the pitcher to the bottom, so a cappuccino won't be as liquidy as a latte.

Another interesting thing about steaming is that skim milk fucking sucks to steam. Whole milk is great, something about the fat content of milk makes it texture easier. If you use Soy milk, don't steam it as high, or it "cooks" and tatses bitter. Same as almond milk. Coconut milk is almost impossible to impart texture to.

100% accurate. I am working in a cafe again and I cringe when I am asked to make a coconut milk cappuccino. Skim is still better than some almond and soy. "Barista-grade" almond and soy work pretty well.

I had an oat milk latte for the first time the other day. Steams very nicely. Tastes a bit like soy yet with less of its "own" taste. If you've ever eaten raw oats, it tastes a bit like that.

At my shop, we got rid of skim milk altogether. Owning a gorgeous, expensive Italian espresso machine is one of the best things in the world.

Yeah, so I'll just tell her to go down the street if she wants a latte. I haven't been interested enough to try and figure it out. This is totally amateur, but I've been microwaving 2% milk in that frother thing and swirling that. I knew about the textures and bubble thickness and all of that, but it is helpful to see again. I want an espresso machine someday when I have the counter space, so maybe I'll figure it out then.

At my shop, we got rid of skim milk altogether. Owning a gorgeous, expensive Italian espresso machine is one of the best things in the world.
Unfortunately, I will never own one since they are just so ridiculously expensive. The affordable ones you can own at home are not that great. My friend has a small one with a single grouphead and you can't steam and pull shots at the same time.

BTW, if you've ever made a breve, half and half steams even better than whole milk.

Unfortunately, I will never own one since they are just so ridiculously expensive. The affordable ones you can own at home are not that great. My friend has a small one with a single grouphead and you can't steam and pull shots at the same time.

BTW, if you've ever made a breve, half and half steams even better than whole milk.

fwiw I have found half and half works way better in that contraption I have.. I guess its the thickness

Well, relatively speaking. If you work at one of those ultra-hipster-yuppie cafes, the tips are pretty damn good.

I've been working on perfecting my french press technique on the weekends. I'm making really good coffee, but when the wife wants a latte with milk froth and syrup, I can't figure out how to pull it off. I've got a classic beaker frother and a handheld battery operated one. Got any secrets from your cafe days?
Steaming milk is hard to get right if you don't have good equipment.

this is the one I have.. I know nothing about it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z6DS86...t=&hvlocphy=9009940&hvtargid=pla-227168820001
I have never used anything like that. Coffee shop espresso machines have a steam wand built in. The principle for how that works would be closer to your battery operated one, I think, but I've never used one of those either.

In a cafe, you steam your milk in a metal pitcher. You start with the steam wand fully submerged and slowly bring it up until the tip is near the surface of the milk. When you are in the right spot you will hear a hissing sound and the milk will begin to whirlpool. Once the pitcher is hot to the touch, the milk is done. It should have about an inch of microfoam on top. Microfoam is foam with very small compact bubbles. If you have big bubbles, you raised the wand too high, which aerates the milk too much. You can break up some of these bubbles by swirling the pitcher and tapping its bottom against a hard surface. This will give you the smooth, even foam you want plus keep it from separating from the layer of milk below it. Then you pour this over espresso for a latte or coffee for a cafe ole.

Long and probably useless explanation. But since your battery powered one is essentially a wand, you may be able to use a similar technique. Be sure to only use about 2/3rds as much milk as you actually want since foaming causes it to expand.
Just the tip of it, just for a minute. Just to see how it feels. Also, it’s au lait biyotch.

100% accurate. I am working in a cafe again and I cringe when I am asked to make a coconut milk cappuccino. Skim is still better than some almond and soy. "Barista-grade" almond and soy work pretty well.

I had an oat milk latte for the first time the other day. Steams very nicely. Tastes a bit like soy yet with less of its "own" taste. If you've ever eaten raw oats, it tastes a bit like that.
You are correct, barista grade is much better and doesn’t taste like ass.

Mods please move this discussion to the Coffee Thread - at this point it seems like we need one ha

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom