Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

I waited in line overnight for tickets at the Hampton Coliseum. When I got to the ticket window, they announced the second night. So I bought tickets for the second night, then the first night. Scored front row floor seats for the second night, right in front of Adam Clayton. Scored a drum stick after the show. I think it was like $19 or something.

Saw one of my all-time favourite bands Sunday night: X. They played a terrific set. Probably my only chance to see them.

My girlfriend surprised me with tickets to the final day of Riot Fest in Chicago. The main draw is the Jawbreaker reunion. But Built to Spill, Dinosaur Jr, and Mighty Mighty Bosstones are all performing classic full albums of theirs front to back. TV on the Radio is also playing.

Hopefully there won't be too many clueless kids yammering about how much Jawbreaker sounds like Green Day.

Walter Becker was a great guitarist, but I absolutely despise Steely Dan.

With very few, very specific exceptions, the 70s was the worst decade for popular/rock music, and Steely Dan produced some of the shittiest shit of all that shit.

I will not waver from this opinion.

Well that genre's not really my cup of tea in general. Of that era, I like "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire and "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers. I'm not sure I could name another 70s funk/soul song. I guess a bunch of P-Funk stuff was later sampled, but I don't know shit about any of it.

Fair enough.

I am a fan of James Brown, Chic, Parliament/Funkadelic, Betty Davis & Sly Stone. Really interesting music, IMO.

I like old Motown stuff, although a lot of that was late 60's - early 70's. Spinners, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Temptations. Love all that shit. Then disco came along and fucked up everything about music in the mid-to-late 70's.

The 70's were great, you guys are idiots. Not only do you have truly epic rock bands such as The Stones and Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in their absolute primes, you also get the advent of Punk, Disco, Heavy Metal and Funk. Seriously, what is not to like about that? Also, all the radio stations were changing from these formats where they played certain types of music at certain times of the day to being radio stations that played certain types of music all the time. Plus vinyl. And vinyl art. And general admission concerts.

Don't forget about quaaludes, Farmer. You speak of 70s music, you must also speak of quaaludes and their profound impact on the arts.

I stand corrected. I'm just finishing a short book on the making of 'Exile on Main Street' and from the contents of that book, your words ring true.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom