Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

I saw U2 for the OG Joshua Tree tour and they brought this guy on stage to play a drum. He couldn't do it. Fucking kook.

I'm not sure if she was picked at random or not, since I haven't seen it. But I wonder when they pick out someone "random" from the audience if they've had people audition in advance. Chances of getting someone terrible would be too high. Lots of people think they can play a song, but performing it cleanly and in time with a band while standing in front of hundreds of thousands of people is a different thing.

I wondered the same thing rome. She's so good it's hard to believe in some respects that she could be truly random.

But damn if it didn't choke me up a bit regardless.

I've got a cousin whose husband is the manager of the Avett Brothers... has been for years. Another cousin told me at one point the manager made about $40,000 per show when they toured.

I'll have to double check but I'm almost positive that's what he told me.

On that front, a friend and former co-worker has a friend whose father was/is Elton John's manager. He, ummm, does pretty well.

He actually told me a bizarre story once about how they were at some social function and this guy (the manager's) daughter was really drunk and she made a comment about Michael Jackson not being alive much longer or something to that effect. My friend said EJ's manager gave her a look that clearly told her to STFU. She apologized profusely the next day.

Jackson died about a month later.

I think these fans-on-stage situations break both ways. Depends on the band, obviously. There are vids of Foo Fighters, Keith Urban, Green Day, etc., bringing up folks from the crowd and they just nail whatever song it is and the whole thing seems a little too perfect to be entirely unvetted.

Of course, when I saw Foo Fighters a few years ago in Nashville, they brought up some little kid and his dad, and the kid just sort of played the drums for a bit. Not to a song or anything, just a drum solo. Went just long enough to start to seem awkward. I don't think that one was planned in advance.

Last edited:

Well, I went back and watched this again, and damn if it doesn't seem awfully organic and legit.

Had a buddy from Duke who was a fantastic guitarist who played on stage with U2 in Tempe during the Joshua Tree tour. They had pulled some guy on before him who couldn't play a lick, so they thew him back and grabbed my friend who apparently tore it up. I guess at that point at least things weren't staged.

Last edited:
I won't bore anyone with three paragraphs of music theory, but this is a work of compositional genius, in my opinion. I feel like there have been more good pop songs in the last two years than the last twenty combined.

I won't bore anyone with three paragraphs of music theory

...he says, knowing full well we will demand to hear it.

I've always appreciated the insane amount of musical talent that Bruno Mars has. I admittedly don't love all of his songs, but watching him when he's on is like watching Zion play basketball or something. You just kind of have to sit back and smile and enjoy someone completely owning their craft.

Bruno Mars is my least favorite pop star of my life time. So I'm looking forward to hearing about how great he is.

Bruno Mars is my least favorite pop star of my life time. So I'm looking forward to hearing about how great he is.
This is quite a take considering how many legitimately terrible pop stars there are. I'd like 3 paragraphs on this in addition to @rome8180 three paragraphs on music theory.
There's no explanation. It's irrational. All I know is, every time I see him or hear him, I want to punch him.

This is quite a take considering how many legitimately terrible pop stars there are. I'd like 3 paragraphs on this in addition to @rome8180 three paragraphs on music theory.
There's no explanation. It's irrational. All I know is, every time I see him or hear him, I want to punch him.
I actually think it has something to do with his diminutive stature juxtaposed with his ultra-cool persona. It gives me strong fraud vibes.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom