Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

rome8180 said:
The In-Betweeners is a really funny show you can watch on Netflix, for those who like British comedy.
ya they even made a movie that's enjoyable

Felt like the first half of the Fargo season finale was fantastic but the back end felt rushed. Still enjoyed this season overall but I think I prefer the first two seasons over the third.

There's a girl's school in Wilmington called Girls Leadership Academy of Wilmington, that for some reason is called GLOW. Last week a friend was happily informing me that they were going to send their daughter there. I said, "You're sending her to professional wrestler school? That is awesome!"

Thain said:
Glorious Ladies Of Wrestling?

Gorgeous

Couldn't wait to watch that on Saturday mornings as a kid.

Marc Maron is really good in this.

skins said:
Felt like the first half of the Fargo season finale was fantastic but the back end felt rushed. Still enjoyed this season overall but I think I prefer the first two seasons over the third.
I preferred this to the 2nd. And I thought the Finale was fantastic. I was a particular fan of the ambiguous ending. There was one death that bummed me out majorly, as it was my favorite character, but I go into Fargo prepared for something like that.

Nothing will top the 1st season though.

I didn't watch "The Mist" yet, but the reviews indicate it's yet another terrible Stephen King book to film effort, and makes me all the more concerned about how terrible "It" and "Dark Tower" will be.

When it comes to having their work translated to the screen, has any successful writer ever had a higher terrible-to-good ratio than King? I love King's writing, so it always makes me sad when I see these terrible video translations.
These are my opinions, and some of these opinions may have been formed when I was 15 years old or something, but...

Good:

The Shining
Stand By Me
The Green Mile
'Salem's Lot
Shawshank Redemption

Bad:

Everything else I would list them, but there are too many. You can see all one hundred or so of them here.

Ten iterations of "Children of the Corn"? Stephen, do you not have enough money?

I would also put Misery, Carrie, The Mist (movie version), The Dead Zone, and Big Driver among the good. Haven't seen Apt Pupil or Dolores Claiborne, but I've heard those are good. And I would argue that King hasn't had a higher ratio of good to bad than the usual ratio of good to bad movies in the world in general. It's just that he's had so many things adapted.

I have high hopes for IT. The trailers look terrific. Dark Tower is going to be absolute trash.

Speaking of authors, has any had more luck with adaptations than John Le Carre? I haven't seen several, but The Night Manager, The Constant Gardner, A Most Wanted Man, Our Kind of Traitor, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy were all good to terrific.

rome8180 said:
I would also put Misery, Carrie, The Mist (movie version), The Dead Zone, and Big Driver among the good. Haven't seen Apt Pupil or Dolores Claiborne, but I've heard those are good. And I would argue that King hasn't had a higher ratio of good to bad than the usual ratio of good to bad movies in the world in general. It's just that he's had so many things adapted.

I forgot all of those. Still, if you add them into the "good" column, he's still clocking no better than about 15% not shitty, or we can be generous and assume that there are some good shows/movies that we're both overlooking and bump him all the way up to 20%. Having 80% of your books and stories turn into shitty video versions is bad.

Yeah, on closer examination that's probably worse that the average percentage of movies that suck (which may be as high as 60% depending on your level of snobbishness).

But since he's largely operating within the horror realm, 80% may not be too far off from average. Horror is probably the genre with the most awful movies.

The '90s one had a couple good elements (mostly casting), but the special effects budget was shit and most of it is painfully dated.

rome8180 said:
But since he's largely operating within the horror realm, 80% may not be too far off from average. Horror is probably the genre with the most awful movies.

Which is why a fair portion of his best movie efforts have been non-horror - Shawshank, Stand By Me, Green Mile. I guess it's easier to tell a scary story than it is to show a scary story, but it's always so disappointing when a story that I loved turns into a visual abortion on screen.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0
  • NCAA Tournament (Non-Duke) 0
  • Duke vs Houston 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScheySchey30
Back